Author Topic: NCAA Cancels Fan Attendence for the Basketball Tournament  (Read 1756 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
NCAA Cancels Fan Attendence for the Basketball Tournament
« on: March 11, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »
NCAA president Mark Emmert has announce today that all Division I men's and women's basketball tournament games will be played in arenas without fans.

Expect an announcement about wrestling tomorrow.

Offline Jerry Callo

• World Champ
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Cancels Fan Attendence for the Basketball Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 08:15:25 PM »
Looks like InterMat is reporting it already. 

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23399

At this point I just hope I get a refund for my tickets - is that bad of me?
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
You'll get your refund.  They'll make a bunch back from the online fee for the first 5 sessions

Offline Jerry Callo

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 09:46:01 PM »
Good to know!  I figured that they will make refunds at some point.  It is too bad though - doubt they will be back in the Twin Cities any time soon. 
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
So if someone keeps circling and backing and not tying up, do you call a stall or social distancing ?

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 10:29:16 PM »
Good to know!  I figured that they will make refunds at some point.  It is too bad though - doubt they will be back in the Twin Cities any time soon.

Probably a lot sooner than they'll be in my neck of the woods.  Not only did Charley Pell get the Florida football team put on probation, he was also instrumental in getting the Gator wrestling team disbanded, with the rest of the SEC following suit within a few years.  Florida (and now Georgia) have pretty good high school wrestling, but no D1 programs, so I can't see the NCAA's coming this way until that changes.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »
The Ivy League just cancelled all spring athletics.  Many of them have cancelled in class instruction in favor of online so I guess they couldn't justify assembling teams for sports practice travel and competitions.

9 days to go Winter sports aren't out of the woods yet.  NCAA may still cancel the tournaments.  B Ball and Hockey are at greater risk,because they end in April but I sense they wont be selective and just cancel all of them.  I don't see how they can start a no fan tournament and then cancel in the middle.

What to they do then.declare top 8 in the coaches poll to be the All-Americans ?  Hand Iowa the championship trophy on the coaches vote?