Author Topic: NCAA Pulled the Plug  (Read 4448 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
NCAA Pulled the Plug
« on: March 12, 2020, 06:47:32 PM »
It was inevitable...not just winter sport championships, but spring sports too.

We're done

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Pulled the Plug
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
I think the NCAA needs to look at granting another year of eligibility to the NCAA qualifiers, if not all who participated this year without redshirting.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »
Yeah, the decision is going to crush those in the 4th athletic year. At least they have the season and ranking to remember,  The spring boys and girls don't even have that. 

I doubt they'll do anything for winter sports and many spring sports athletes are past the post of declaring a red shirt since the seasons started in early Feb.  Basketball gets their AA's named in polls.  Maybe the NCAA will hold one final poll to declare the A-A's.  It would salvage the memory for some..

How about we give spring sports a participation ring.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »
I have changed my tune about the virus.  As much as I hate it, pulling the plug was probably the best thing to do.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 08:36:11 AM »

I think the NCAA needs to look at granting another year of eligibility to the NCAA qualifiers, if not all who participated this year without redshirting.

You nailed Vice, NCAA gave an extended year of eligibility last night to all in Div. I spring sports. No mention of Div II. Winter sports are under discussion.  The logistic of scholarships given they still expect the 2020 recruits to enroll, is under discussion.  Given the NCAA's mammoth bank roll, I can foresee them ceding some cash to the athletic departments to cover the added scholarship cost if they pro rate and expand the scholarship cap.  On the other hand the school saved a bundle in unspent travel costs that will they likely be able to carry over into fiscal 20/21.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
Biggest loss for the fans is another chance to see Marinelli and Joseph throw down. Biggest loss for the wrestlers are the seniors who were poised to either AA for the first time or have a legit chance to win their first and only title. That and Spencer Lee's chance to be a 4 timer. Lugo was looking impossible to score on and I thought he had a 90% chance of coming out on top. The stars aligned to put UNI in a position to claim the 84 title two years in a row. Hall and Joseph don't get their chance to end their careers where they started. The insane competition at 133 despite all the redshirting. So many more stories like that denied.

I'll just go ahead and pick the champions now, and the NCAA can decide whether or not they'll recognize them as such:

Lee (100% positive pick)
Gross (30% positive pick)
Lee (60% positive pick)
Lugo (90% positive pick)
Deekin (65% positive pick)
Marinelli (60% positive pikc)
Kemerer (30% positive pick)
Lujan (50% positive pick)
Moore (100% positive pick)
Steveson (100% positive pick)
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 02:36:51 PM »
There's a possibility winter sports athletes get another.  I don't think the odds are high, but three is a chance.  Imagine throwing Lewis back into the mix at 165.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
I'll just go ahead and pick the champions now, and the NCAA can decide whether or not they'll recognize them as such:

Lee (100% positive pick)
Gross (30% positive pick)
Lee (60% positive pick)
Lugo (90% positive pick)
Deekin (65% positive pick)
Marinelli (60% positive pikc)
Kemerer (30% positive pick)
Lujan (50% positive pick)
Moore (100% positive pick)
Steveson (100% positive pick)

I'm guessing the NCAA will think twice about changing any of these!!

mspart

Offline Jerry Callo

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
There's a possibility winter sports athletes get another.  I don't think the odds are high, but three is a chance.  Imagine throwing Lewis back into the mix at 165.

And Fix at 133 (if he gets his drug issues behind him)

And Micic at 133/141

And Yianni & Eiermann at 141/149

And Amine at 174/184

And Zahid back (it could happen)

In the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas:

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE?
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE?

As of today, YES

The NCAA said they ere discussing it for all DI level winter sports athletes.  Now this one is much higher hurdle than spring sports.

By the way, it covers ALL spring athletes, including frosh, sophs and juniors whether or not they have taken a red shirt year.  So your stellar frosh like Aaron Brooks would get 4 more years on the mat instead of 3.  If they pull the trigger for it, the few guys like Gross that were out there for a 6th year on an medical waiver would get a 7th year to complete 4. Heck, Cassar might even get another shot to comeback, but I put that one as "least likely" since he left the team and wasn't on the roster at the end of the season.  But who knows.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »
I would hope that it is only and all NCAA championship qualifiers.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
Zahid may be jumping up and down over this.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 08:00:25 PM »
From what I am hearing, talks continue but the additional one year of eligibility has narrowed and will only apply to seniors having consumed their 4 years of athletic eligibility and if they were on the roster at the end of the season.  Those in their 4th year of athletic edibility but in their 6th year (medical or other waiver) are on the agenda, but only if there is an agreement to extend to seniors.

Offline Jerry Callo

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »
It would seem to me to be pretty difficult to justify giving Seniors an extra year of eligibility and not those who would also lose a year but are not done eligibility-wise.  It would be cleaner and more fair to give all NCAA qualifiers an extra year, or else give no one an extra year. 
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
It would seem to me to be pretty difficult to justify giving Seniors an extra year of eligibility and not those who would also lose a year but are not done eligibility-wise.  It would be cleaner and more fair to give all NCAA qualifiers an extra year, or else give no one an extra year.

Technically, they did not lose a year...just a tournament.  They still have a shot at that coveted title down the road.