Author Topic: NCAA Pulled the Plug  (Read 4450 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Pulled the Plug
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 02:11:44 PM »
It would seem to me to be pretty difficult to justify giving Seniors an extra year of eligibility and not those who would also lose a year but are not done eligibility-wise.  It would be cleaner and more fair to give all NCAA qualifiers an extra year, or else give no one an extra year.

Technically, they did not lose a year...just a tournament.  They still have a shot at that coveted title down the road.

Are you suggesting that they might reschedule the 2020 tournament? Its very hard to coordinate something like that lots of pitfalls and conflicts. I dont see it happening.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »
2020 is gone, it's not going to be rescheduled.

An additional year for 2020 grads is getting bleaker by the day.

NCAA snapped and added year for 2020 grads without a blink.  The longer it drags out the less likely its going to happen even though there are far fewer scholarships available for winter sports versus spring sports.

One of the fears with basketball is the inventory of true and red shirt frosh that were in line to be starters in 20/21 that may get pushed back to the bench for a year, with the new transfer rules, a lot of coaches think they could bail and head for schools where they can start next year.  Unlike football where a guard can also play tackle of center or maybe switch to defense, a basketball guard has very little flexibility to fit into another position.  It particularly true with the big men.  The third issue issue is the grad transfer.  If the kid gets his 4 year degree this year and becomes a potential grad student, a school can't prevent the transfer and it would enable a kid to take the year and transfer.  Baseball has a somewhat similar situation but lets face it the financial stake at school is no where near losing a B Baller.

Offline Jerry Callo

• World Champ
    • View Profile
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
The negativity applies to all winter sports not just bball

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »
As of right now, wrestling may see a 1-2 month delay to the start of the season...1st of practice to be Dec 1 , opening day January 1.  Same for BBall

Fall sports may also see a delayed start but it appears the NCAA is letting the conferences and individual schools decide.  The NCAA is floating the idea of a Feb opening to the season, conference title games in May and a national championship Memorial day Weekend.  It will become June Madness.  I have header the SEC teams are already working out and prepping for opening on time in September.

On hurdle is the NFL draft.  Many coaches are of e opinion that top draft picks will leave the team early not wanting to risk an injury that devalues a signing bonus.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 09:05:13 PM »
Ut oh, the financial crisis in higher ed is hitting athletics.  We kinda expected but for real.

American Athletic, Mountain West, Mid-American and Sun Belt conferences and Conference USA asked for temporary relief for up to four years.

It's the MAC that strikes home.

Among their requests was for the N.C.A.A. to

Ease the requirement that they sponsor a minimum of 16 sports to be in the Football Bowl Subdivision.
Waive the football attendance requirement, which requires colleges to average at least 15,000 people at all home football games, and
Change scheduling requirements.

University of Cincinnati, a member of the American Athletic Conference, cut its men’s soccer team.

The NCAA cutting fun ding to the schools by $375,000,000.  Every school is feeling that pinch.