Author Topic: Well, I have a new project  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I have a new project
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »
Once you get everything hooked up, maybe you could give Disaster Area a run for their money (not likely).   ;D

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »
I'll bet they can hear me though!!! 

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »
OK, I got the rest of the stuff yesterday.  I will install it and let you know how it goes. 

By the way, the cab is at 8 ohms.  So that is good. 

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »
Ran into problems.  My back panel is thicker than I thought.  So that is an issue.  I also do not have the right connectors to make this work so I'll have to get those tomorrow.  It's always something.  Plus I need spade bits.  I had spade bits.  I have kids.  You come up with a conclusion.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
Well, my idea was to use blade type connectors.  But they are different sizes, not standard.  So I will have to solder wires to components.  I also need to create more space with a spade bit I'll get today.  So I should be in business today.

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 09:03:24 PM »
So I soldered wires to my new 1/4 jack connector.  It works fine.  I still need to mount that connector so I can plug in the cabinet wiring.  I need that 1.5 inch spade bit. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
hole saw lying around?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »
That is an option, I'm hoping to take off thickness so I can mount the jack.  I do have such a small hole saw and I have a piece of flashing I can use as a mount so I could do that.  I need the spade bit anyway.  I really hope this works.  All indications are that it is going to so I'm happy about that. 

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
All done and I like it!!

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
How's it sound?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »
The cabinet has a brighter sound so far as I can hear.  I had my son pull the plug in and out and we both heard it, although we liked the sound differently.  He liked the amp speaker and I preferred the cabinet speakers.  That might be due to the time I've put in, they just better sound better.  He said that the cabinet was a lot brighter whereas the amp is a bit more muffled with lower tones, which is why I wanted the cabinet.  So I think it is going to be just fine.  I have only played with it a little, I just got it done today. 

Thanks for asking, I'm pretty excited about it.  My wife is not, she had a misconception about what this was going to be and it is bigger and all that than she expected. 

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
My wife, who is deaf in one ear, so all sound is just really directionless noise listened to it last night.  She agreed it sounds better than the speaker in the amp.  That sounds really dull.  The cabinet is a lot brighter in sound.  And it has Celestion G12M-70 speakers, which are considered to be the worst speakers in the Celstion lineup.  Celestions are the speakers used in most all Marshall Cabinets and amplifiers.  Each speaker retails for $100-$150 so a cabinet with two would be at the very least $200-$300 just for the speakers alone.  Of course, the cabinets retail for roughly $600.  Heavy wood construction.  I got this one for $80 and it works.  So I am pretty happy with the result. 

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »
A sound you like for a price you're happy with.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »
True that.  And I almost broke the house playing it loud.  Yeah, it gets pretty loud. 

mspart