Author Topic: What to do when water stops  (Read 327 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
What to do when water stops
« on: May 19, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
Just now our water service stopped.  No water at all.  My son alerted us that he had no water in the tiny house we built.  WHAT?  No water.  That's never happened.  So I went around and tried faucets on the house and sure enough, no water.  That's never happened to me before.  My wife texted neighbors and I called the water district.  Just as the very nice young lady answered the phone, I see this orange clad dude walking up my driveway.  I hang up with the very nice lady and go to see him.

Before I get out the front door, my dogs are barking loudly at him.  Fortunately they are pretty harmless 85 lb Labs.  He was from the water district and they had just changed our meter to one of those radio meters.  Now all they have to do is drive by and they have our water usage.  He said they had to shut off the water for a few minutes to make the change.  Well, that's a better scenario than I was imagining. 

Talk about scary.  Having your water turned off is no bueno.  For those on wells, not a problem unless electric goes out and you have no generator.  My son is on a well and he has a backup generator just in case. 

mspart

Online RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when water stops
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
No prior notice? Ours has a text messaging service...."off at 9 back on 10:30 or sooner"  They were last week flushing the pipes.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 12:25:47 AM »
Standard procedure when a hurricane is coming is to fill the bath tub(s) with water, both for bathing (brrr!) and for the toilets in case something happens to power for the water department.

We have bottled water for drinking and can always fill buckets with pool water for the toilets if needed.  We had to have the house re-plumbed about a decade ago (the copper pipes underground and under the floor slabs were leaking), so we dealt with that for several days, although we did go to my Mom's house to shower.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 06:28:45 AM »
The contractor I am working with here hit a water service under the street yesterday. Pulled a new copper line through with our duct and repaired it on both sides. Back in service in about an hour.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 11:23:18 AM »
They said they gave notice but I never saw it. 

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »
We always keep 50 gallons on hand along with canned goods and ammo. 
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
Well, if it really came down to it, we have a bit of water for drinking, and we have a 500-600 gallon hot tub.  And if that doesn't do it, we have a creek (mountain drainage) running in our property.  Refried beans is good!!

mspart