Author Topic: NCAA FBS On the Fringe  (Read 439 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
NCAA FBS On the Fringe
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
The MAC cancelled fall sports.  Early word is the B1G presidents have cancelled too in an AM meeting today.    I'll hazard a guess they have gone back to the ADs and asked for justification to not kill the season.  Not for nothing but winter sports are just around the corner and will get caught up in the fall mayhem.  Don't expect to see any wrestling until January....maybe.

Its unthinkable, but this could well be a year with 0 collegiate sports with the exception, maybe, of golf.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA FBS On the Fringe
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:26:48 PM »
In other words, zero college sports.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
^
This!

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:19:05 AM »
Mountain West bails out.

NCAA is now recommending teams arrive 3 days in advance, not the day prior, and everyone COVID tests.  If you;re positive, you're sent home.

Basically the plan kills fall sports.  If a player tests positive, can't return with the team. So how do they transport the RB from Nebraska that tests positive upon arriving in NJ?

Obviously the tests should be conducted upon arrival, but the day prior to departure. Doing a rapid response the AM of departure, results in 15-45 minutes, player / coach stays home. Everyone retests upon return.

The question becomes, if all flew on a plane which cant afford 6 feet, will county health quarantine all of those sitting close to the infected player.?  Does county health quarantine all of the those on the opposing team that played close to that player ?  What if it a RB and 22 defensive players came into contact from tackling? 

Most big schools will be conducting their own contact tracing by agreement with county health.  If the school doesn't quarantine someone, will the state revoke authority?  Will the school become liable for downstream infections? 

There is so much hair on this one there is almost no way a school can logistically have a season within the boundaries of the current quarantine/isolation mandates.

It's looking just as bleak for wrestling season.

Michigan and Michigan State have MDs as President.  Fat chance either one has a season this year.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 01:26:49 PM »
Are we at a point where fear of covid is beyond irrational?  Statistically, you have little chance of catching it, even less of getting hospitalized, and even less dying.  Unless you have a weakened immune system.  Then you should stay home.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 04:57:36 PM »
Schools have no where near the capacity to baby sit a bunch of 18-24 year olds.  Especially with mommies and daddies the expect the school to provide the medical care and won't take them back home.

You may see some schools shut down and place everyone living on campus into isolation and quarantine for 2 weeks.  Kids are going to get shuffled about as roomies test positive.

It would almost be better to open all of the doors for 28 days.  Let as many as possible get infected, close the doors for 14 days and teach online, declare herd immunity and restart as normal.

An underlying issue out there is that some presidents feel student athletes are getting medical care than the ordinary student. 

Rutgers was testing athletes 3 x per week until 3 footballers tested positive, then they placed the entire team on campus into quarantine.  The funny thing about it, the 3 that were infected (all were living off campus) can leave their rooms after 10 days.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »
The B1G pulled the trigger and postponed to Jan 2021. PAC 12 immediately followed.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 06:01:22 PM »
PAC 12 is a bunch of ditto heads.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 05:18:43 AM »
NCAA just canceled all fall sports championships.  Div I football is not effected because the championship is run by the conferences, not the NCAA.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 10:30:03 PM »
PAC 12 is a bunch of ditto heads.

mspart
Liberal losers
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »
B1G is back on the schedule.  The season will start October 23.  6 games and a conference title game.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 11:49:42 AM »
PAC 12 is considering it.  Bunch of ditto heads like I said.

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »
The PAC 12 will now have a seven game season, starting the first week in November.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »
The MAC also flipped today.  It was the first to "cancel" and last to uncancel.