Author Topic: Need Wrestling  (Read 582 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Need Wrestling
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
Ray says he is mostly in Western PA. 

Well, that would suggest that he is not there all the time but in other places.  Is it possible that Ray is playing the same role as Typhoid Mary?  Covid Ray!!  Ha ha!!

But to his credit, I'd rather be anywhere other than NYC during this time.  Actually at any time.  I've been there once, JFK on a through flight.  As close as I want to get. 

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 05:48:00 PM »
I had a connecting flight in Newark once.  That was terrible.  The only worse airport I've been to was O'Haire, where the flight was eventually cancelled after numerous delays.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »
Mere inconvenience. 

I'd say 2018-2019 were the worst years at Newark.  They carried a 70+ % delay  / cancellation rate due to United overbooking departures and arrivals.

Sat on the tarmac awaiting maintenance for 7 hours, 95F in Dallas.  Now I kinda know what its like to be stuck a POW cooler.

Sat on the tarmac for 3 hours in Dayton...again awaiting maintenance for a freakin aisle light bulb.  Finally got to Pittsburgh at 2:30 AM. Last connecting flight had left.  Was able to ticket the first flight out. Slept in the airport at the gate and right through the departure of the first flight out at 5:30 AM. I couldn't get another seat until 2PM. 

Evening flight from Wichita to Chicago cancelled due to snow.  Finally got to Chicago the next morning just as the snow storm was entering - cancelled again.  Couldn't a flight out until 3PM the next day. 49 hours for what should have been 8.

Back to back meetings with a travel day between Burlington VT and Chapel Hill.  AM flight in Burlington gets cancelled so I rent a car and drive to Newark in time for my 2 PM flight to Greensboro - canceled, no other flights, had to reschedule the meeting.  Client had assembled 7 for the meeting, she wasn't happy.

Friday flight Chicago to Newark - more snow - airport closed for 2 days, didn't get out until Monday night on an 11PM flight.

Flew to LA 5:30 AM, arrived at 1 PM.  Landed and pick up a voice mail - meeting cancelled. Walked over to the LA to Newark gate, changed my return ticket and I was back onboard at 2 PM, back in Newark at 9 PM....and yes I billed the client for my travel time....and he never argued the case.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
I've done a fair amount of travel and haven't had that kind of delay/cancellation things happen to me.  Better you than me bro!!

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »
Those are only a sampling.  I've flown almost 2 million miles, a lot of legs under 1000 miles.  I bet I've spent over 50 extra hotel nights due to travel woes.  I couldn't even guess how many flights were delayed +3 hours.

4PM flight Detroit to Newark, 1:15 minute flight.  ETD 4 PM, arrive to find it delayed 2 hours due to weather in Chicago.  Plane arrives and they add an 1 hour, then another half hour, then another, and another and another....Finally at 11 they cancel the flight.  The flight crew didn't have the hours left to fly and they couldn't find an alternative crew.  Stuck in a hotel for another night and because the original delay was due to weather, no hotel credit either. Heck United didn't even give us a meal credit for the 7 hours waiting for the cancellation.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
That is just plain wrong.  They do this all the time I understand.  My guess is that they know what the problem is and what the probability of getting it fixed are.  I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of thing. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
That and when they say there is a delay due to weather and you someone in the area and ask.....and its sunny, no wind no rain and nothing negative in the forecast.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »
In Minny, they shut down the airport one day for a squall that was coming.  It was a dark vertical cloud that came through threateningly.  It was really the strangest weather phenomenon I have ever seen.  I remember the last plane that came is was a small one and flew across the runway the wrong direction to land and pulled a diving 180 to land.  Quite spectacular.  Then the airport went quiet. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 07:19:15 PM »
Look at what no wrestling has relegated us to - travel woes

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 12:17:46 PM »

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »

This should brighten your day. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1317060170074230784

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
That was sweet.  Thanks Ryou

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 08:41:59 PM »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »

This should brighten your day. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1317060170074230784
Wow!. That was slicker than snot!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell