Author Topic: 5 years of Eligibility  (Read 135 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
5 years of Eligibility
« on: November 08, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »
This hasn't been posted but is worthy of some discussion.

Back in October the NCAA granted a 5th year of eligibility to all student athletes participating in winter sports during the 20/21 season.  Essentially, there will be no red shirts this year.

There are a select few wrestlers like Spencer Lee that could become 5 time All Americans, since he was bestowed the All American designation in lieu of the cancelled tournament. Nick Suriano was out on an Olympic waiver last season and this year will be his 4th year of eligibility. He too gets the 5th year and the potential to add 2 more championships to his bio.

On the other hand, guys like Penn State's Mark Hall got screed in the deal.  2019-20 was his 4th year of competition, 3 time finalists that missed out on a likely 4th All American title, if not 4th time in theh finals, and a 2nd title. In order to get the extra year, the wrestler needs to be eligible and on a roster.  In the NCAA eyes his eligibility, 4 years ended last March.

So seniors like Hall, Kollin Moore and Vincenzo Joseph miss out on the title shot that was cancelled., not being eligible this year, but every wrestler on the roster this season, including the incoming freshman that weren't harmed by the cancellation of the tournament, also get the 5 years of competition.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
Re: 5 years of Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »
This year was preemptively given back to the athletes in anticipation of missing a lot of competition dates and/or being cancelled outright. Last season they wrestled a full season except for one tournament (I know, but the NCAA doesn't care WHICH tournament).
I am the way, the truth, and the life.