Author Topic: Leon Spinks died  (Read 5002 times)

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Leon Spinks died
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »
You mean there's video of old fights?  Who knew?
We are the storm.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:13 PM »
You guys obviously didn't see either fight.  They were both awful, clinches, soft powder puff glancing blows.  Slow, slower, slowest.  Sorry but Ali was a shell of his former self in both "flights".

I disagree.  The first fight was on the up and up.  Sure, Ali was well past him prime.  But, people are hyperbolic regarding his post Manila decline.  Leon was able to get inside and throw decent straight-rights.

The second fight was...well...this is what happens to many champs that weren't prepared for winning the title: lawsuits, stripped titles, less training, "partying", etc.  Spinks was untrained and Ali was able to clinch when he felt uncomfortable.

Spinks/Ali 2  = Ruiz/Joshua 2

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »
Leon was an interesting character in boxing history:

- won the title in just his 8th fight. But far the least experienced in the pros to earn the title.
- Was under 200lbs during a time where that was rare for heavyweights (he was one of the first to campaign at cruiserweight afterwards).
- Is the only former heavyweight champ to lose to a boxer making his pro debut.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
Ali's punches couldn't hurt a marshmello.
We are the storm.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
It's interesting to reminisce about the old days. It was a great time when one could turn on the TV and watch championship fights without a ppv fee. Boxing isn't a fraction of the sport it used to be. PPV has destroyed the sport. Ali vs Holmes may have been the last free championship fight I watched. There was a time when a boy was asked what do you want to be you grow up, and the #1 answer was Heavyweight champion of the world. Most kids could not even name the current champ.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
Hey Dr,

Welcome back!!   I have thought about the sport of boxing too.  It was big back in the day but it seems like not anymore.  You have a few stars but mostly, you are correct, a kid these days  probably  has no idea who is in boxing.  Heck I don't even know. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
It's interesting to reminisce about the old days. It was a great time when one could turn on the TV and watch championship fights without a ppv fee. Boxing isn't a fraction of the sport it used to be. PPV has destroyed the sport. Ali vs Holmes may have been the last free championship fight I watched. There was a time when a boy was asked what do you want to be you grow up, and the #1 answer was Heavyweight champion of the world. Most kids could not even name the current champ.

What has done more to kill boxing?

A PPV
B Too many boxing organizations with their own title holders
C MMA

I say B
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »

What has done more to kill boxing?

A PPV
B Too many boxing organizations with their own title holders
C MMA

I say B

I stopped paying attention when the WBA had three super-middle weight champs at the same time:  Champion, Super-Champion, and Diamond Champion.

Plus, boxing is not unlike MMA in that promotional companies will only let their fighters fight guys within their stable.  PBC will only let guys within the PBC stable of fighter box each other. Same with Arum's guys, Top Rank, Golden Boy, etc. Dno King made this trend go mainstream when he had Tyson under contract.  "Oh, you want to fight Mike?  You can if you leave your current manager/promoter and sign with me.  Win or lose, you are now under my contract."

Lastly, did you hear about the newest weight class, Bridgerweight? Didn't think so.  But, that means 18 weight classes.

It says something about the sport when the most popular professional boxer right now is a guy from youtube.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »
Yeah, I just started a thread about that in the Other Sports forum.  Askren vs Jake Paul.  This weekend.

mspart