Author Topic: 12 Team Football Playoff ?  (Read 277 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
12 Team Football Playoff ?
« on: November 30, 2021, 09:32:24 PM »
It's a real possibility. 

10 FBS conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director — have a self-imposed deadline to agree on how to expand the FCS playoff, a 12 team lineup is real possibility for 2024.

If it approves playoff expansion it will go to a vote by university presidents.

ESPN would get the TV rights.

Online Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Team Football Playoff ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:27:45 AM »
I think eight would be enough (and it only adds one round to the playoffs), but the consensus seems to be for a 12 team playoff.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »
12 teams sounds weird.  8 or 16 sounds better, with 8 being better than 16.   What's wrong with 4?

mspart

Online Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 05:43:24 PM »
Four is better than two, but it still leaves out teams that have a reasonable chance of winning the title.  As an example, many years ago, under the old poll system, the University of Miami was ranked 5th prior to beating #1 Nebraska in a bowl game, which then gave Miami the title.  Under the BCS, there were a couple of times that an undefeated third ranked team didn't make the cut.  Even under the four team playoff, there were one loss teams that finished fifth or sixth, along with other one loss teams who made it in.  IMO, eight teams covers any team that should be let in.

Part of the argument for twelve teams is that it gets all of the conference champs in, along with non Power 5 teams that are highly ranked.  It also allows for an opportunity to get in teams that did not win their conference and whose champ won in an upset, such as a four loss team that beat an undefeated team in the championship.

No matter how many teams are allowed in the playoff, there will always be a team that just missed the cutoff and whose coach and fans argue that they should be in.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 07:25:41 PM »
I watched the Iron Bowl this year and it was awesome.  Bama beat Auburn in a very close game and all is right with the universe.   But that is the only game I've watched.  I usually catch the championship game but probably would not be interested in 4 weeks of playoffs.  I suppose they will just incorporate the 1st round of playoffs into early bowl games.  Winners will feed later bowl games, winners to New Years day bowl games, and winners at the championship later.  It could be done, but then that has one team maybe playing in 3 bowl games plus the championship game.   I guess they like that for the gate.  Who wouldn't be interested.   If you play 2 bowl games, that's more money than one game.  Yeah, its all about the money. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 06:16:21 AM »
How many fans would travel to all 4 games ?  Not many which means empty stadiums.   I suppose the first two would be played at the home field of the higher seeded team in order to fill the stands.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »
If the playoffs were held separately from the bowl games, you may have a point.   The camel has his head in the tent and is moving in. 

mspart