Author Topic: 4 time NCAA champion vs. 1 time NCAA champion  (Read 608 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
4 time NCAA champion vs. 1 time NCAA champion
« on: May 17, 2022, 10:12:08 AM »
The video at the url link below is the 2011 Freestyle match between Boise State's Kirk White (1999 NCAA champion) and four time NCAA champion Kyle Dake of Cornell (in the middle of Dake's NCAA wrestling career).  In other words this match took place 12 years after Kirk White won his one and only NCAA championship and a few months after Dake's 2nd NCAA season (and 2nd NCAA championship).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OohXir_Mdws
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 4 time NCAA champion vs. 1 time NCAA champion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 12:03:31 PM »
Kirk White battled a guy, I'm not sure who, but it was a great match.  The guy was an African American.   Could be Chris Pendleton I suppose.   I think Kirk lost, it was near the end of his freestyle wrestling.  The brotherhood and sportsmanship shown after the very hard fought match was really  moving.  I wish I could remember who his opponent was.   It was an incredible match and the sportsmanship displayed afterwards was awesome. 

I'll have to watch this match you have posted. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 01:36:51 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Kirk White, the one time NCAA champion, beat Kyle Dake, the four time NCAA champion in this 2011 Freestyle match
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 02:34:13 PM »
Well, he was older and wiser and Dake was younger and dumber. 

The match I mentioned I witnessed at the venue.  I only normally went to Vegas for US Nationals so i assume that is where it was, don't know the year. 

Kirk White was a scrapper and I loved his effort. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 07:00:16 PM »
Dake was a great wrestler in his first and soph (2011) years, but it was nowhere near his peak that we see today.  He had 4 losses up to that point including an upset by LeValley, Bucknell in the EIWA final that year.  Even though he was a 4xer, and had 2 titles by that time, its not a complete surprise he lost to an older, more experienced wrestler.  There are plenty of wrestlers that excel at freestyle but are merely good at folkstyle.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 07:36:12 PM »
Just watched the match.  White won 2 periods to 1 but was outscored 3-2.   One of those weird things that happened back then. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 09:39:51 AM »
Just watched the match.  White won 2 periods to 1 but was outscored 3-2.   One of those weird things that happened back then. 

mspart

Maybe I missed a point but I saw the first period as 2-0 for Dake, 2nd period 1-0 for White and 3rd period 1-0 for White.

Regardless it also has to do with how Freestyle matches are scored as well.  Or how they were scored in 2011. 

All I know for sure is at the end of the match it was White's arm that was raised by the ref.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 01:54:21 PM »
That was likely because white scored last in a tie bout,

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 06:45:30 PM »
It seems to me that Dake had 3-0.  I'll have to check that out.   

White was 1-0 the last two periods.   He won 2 periods so that was that. 

mspart