Author Topic: Reviewing the 2022 California Senior State champions & Senior runner-ups  (Read 431 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
There was only ONE California H.S. Senior wrestler who finished the 2022 California State wrestling tournament in either 1st or 2nd place who has not been signed by any college (as far as I can tell).  That one male wrestler is Matthew Rodriguez of Righetti H.S.   He placed 2nd at the 2022 CA State tournament at 145 lbs.  He was pinned by a 10th grader named Estrada in the championship match.  But he was not the only 2022 CA Senior who was pinned by a non-Senior in the championship match.  That distinction can also be said about Zeth Romney of Chaminade H.S. who was also pinned in the championship match by a 10th grader.   But Romney signed with Cal Poly S.L.O.

Rodriguez is the only 2022 CA State champ or State runner-up who was a Senior in 2022 and has not signed to wrestle for a college.

Here's the full list of 2022 CA Seniors who placed 1st or 2nd at the 2022 CA State tournament who have been signed by colleges/universities:

113 lbs - Joey Cruz - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Oklahoma

113 lbs - Dominic Mendez - 2022 CA State runner-up - Signed by Cal Poly S.LO.

120 lbs - Ethan Perryman - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Iowa State

126 lbs - Zeth Romney - 2022 CA State runner-up - Signed by Cal Poly S.L.O.

132 lbs - Jack Gioffre - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Virginia

138 lbs - Michael Gioffre - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Virginia

160 lbs - Manuel Gaitan - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Iowa State

170 lbs - Ceasar Garza - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Michigan State

182 lbs - Joseph Martin - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Northwestern

220 lbs - Paul Sharpe - 2022 CA State champion - Signed by Cal State Bakersfield

There were four weight classes at the 2022 California State wrestling tournament where no Seniors were in the championship match for those weight classes.  Namely 106 lbs, 152 lbs, 197 lbs and 285 lbs
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
According to the newspaper article from last March Matthew Rodriguez was quoted as saying " I do plan on wrestling at the Division I level and I'm just taking it one day at a time and enjoying the process."

https://santamariatimes.com/news/local/san-luis-obispo/area-wrestlers-prove-theyre-true-warriors/article_154f9265-cc96-5d76-ab66-f76ba3624520.html

Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Better enjoy more quickly to get a spot. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Speaking of the 2022 California H.S. state wrestling champions it's interesting to note that the 2022 CA heavyweight champion was a H.S. Sophomore named Daniel Herrera.  Just days before the 2022 CA State wrestling tournament began this year Herrera was listed as the # 1 California H.S. heavyweight wrestler in the State by The California Wrestler website: 

http://www.ccsrank.com/CA285.pdf

It's also interesting to note that Herrera's opponent in the championship match at 285 lbs was ranked on this same "The California Wrestler" website as the # 15 ranked CA heavyweight.  That being H.S. Junior Sam Hinojosa of Stagg H.S..  Hinojosa was ranked # 15 but he defeated the # 2 ranked CA heavyweight (Javier Martinez of Dinuba) as well as the # 7 ranked CA heavyweight (Andrew Prado of Mayfair) and the # 11 ranked CA heavyweight (Aiden Roe of De La Salle) on his way to the championship match versus Herrera.

If I was a college wrestling coach I'd be looking to recruit one or both of these two young wrestlers for 2023 (Hinojosa) or 2024 (Herrera).

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
P.S. Herrera won all five of his matches at the 2022 CA State wrestling tournament by FALL

1st match Herrera beat # 21 ranked Sergio Rios of Madera H.S. by FALL in 57 seconds

2nd match Herrera beat # 16 ranked Manny Zavala of Sierra H.S. by FALL in 3:14

3rd match Herrera beat # 19 ranked Xavier Bruening of Burlingame  H.S. by FALL in 37 seconds

4th match Herrera beat # 4 ranked Jamikael Lytle of Poway H.S. by FALL in 3:40

5th match Herrera beat # 15 ranked Sam Hinojosa of Stagg H.S. by FALL in 1:28

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
That kid's a monster, and a sophomore at that!!  Yikes!!!

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Yeah if you look at that CA heavyweight ranking website that was put together a few days prior to the 2022 CA State tournament seven of the top eight heavyweights ranked there were Seniors.  Herrera was the ONLY underclassman ranked in the top eight and he was ranked # 1 (deservedly so apparently).

http://www.ccsrank.com/CA285.pdf

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
yeah, I'd say so.   I would expect he won the Gorarrian award for the tourney. 

mspart