USA
4 (19%)
Czech Republic
0 (0%)
Other
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: May 10, 2009, 10:34:54 PM

Author Topic: Country that makes the best beer  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: Country that makes the best beer
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 02:36:06 AM »
Quote from: "jpv"
Quote from: "Jimmy the Gent"
Quote from: "brycemus"
Guinness ... end of debate

In my experience people who claim Guiness is the best beer rarely even drink it themselves.  They just say it because it is trendy and it makes them feel like they know what they are talking about.

Every time there is Guinness available on tap, I have it without fail. What is trendy about drinking Guinness anyway? I don't see how it's any more trendy than picking some crappy microbrew because "it's, like, so sublime". Guinness has withstood the test of time for good reason: It's the best stout out there. Jimmy, I don't usually take exception with your condescending tripe, but this time you've gone too far!  :evil:
Which leads me to Joe_Palin's comment. Please name a better stout than a draught Guinness. I'm pretty sure I've had most out there, and the only one I've had that can even come close was Murphy's, freshly poured, in Cork. So, let's hear it.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout is quite nice.
Mackeson XXX is also quite good.

If Guinness is your favorite, that's fine. But to me, it is simply a decent stout but not the best.

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
Founders Breakfast Stout
Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Highland Imperial Black Mocha Stout
Great Lakes Blackout Stout (possibly the best I've tasted, but each one has a different attribute that I could argue for)
Young's makes a double chocolate that's pretty common and good
Samuel Adams Cream Stout

Everyone of those trumps Guinness.  I have had others that I can't think of off the top of my head along with friends breakfast stout home brews that also trump Guinness.  I still do enjoy a Guinness from time to time, especially if we are doing Irish Car Bombs.

Offline Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 07:50:06 PM »
I've been wanting to try that Great Lakes one. I've heard a lot of wonderful comments about many of their beers.

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
Quote from: "Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012"
I've been wanting to try that Great Lakes one. I've heard a lot of wonderful comments about many of their beers.
My father and his friend always have different varieties of theirs when I visit back home.  I enjoy most of what they offer.  Their Grassroots and Oktoberfest are great.  They have an IPA that is also very good.