Author Topic:  (Read 2558 times)

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
Most have never heard of Robin Reed so to give a brief summary :

Reed was the Olympic champ in 1924 at 134lbs.  He was never beaten ever at any time in his career, to anyone of any size.

On the road to the Olympics, he pinned his way through District qualifiers ( he entered in 4 weight classes up to 191 and won them all ), pinned his way through the Olympic trials, then pinned everyone at the Olympics to gain the Gold.
    While training for the Olympics, stopped at the ISU wrestling room and proceeded to pin everyone on the team, including their heavyweight.
  On the boat trip to Paris, he routinely pinned every member of the USA Olympic team, including the heavyweight Gold medalist.

John Smith was from OSU.  He had a low single and a leglace...........
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by AnthonyMarston »
Ok, stop right there.........and I'll bring back the sun.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »
That's somehwat minimizing Smith isn't it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by AKIN »
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »
He had a very good Leglace as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »
Quote from: "AKIN"
That's somehwat minimizing Smith isn't it?
What more should you expect from an Aggie?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »
The skills of today are so much more refined that it wouldnt be a contest.

But I voted for Reed based anyway based on his dominance over his peers.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
I voted for Reed, pending post-mortem drug testing for Laudanum and Ether.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by SnotRocket »
My girlfriend and I went to a dinner party the other night and we ended up playing charades. There was another couple there that was deaf. They were so good.

Offline maj

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »
Quote from: "AnthonyMarston"
Most have never heard of Robin Reed so to give a brief summary :

Reed was the Olympic champ in 1924 at 134lbs.  He was never beaten ever at any time in his career, to anyone of any size.

On the road to the Olympics, he pinned his way through District qualifiers ( he entered in 4 weight classes up to 191 and won them all ), pinned his way through the Olympic trials, then pinned everyone at the Olympics to gain the Gold.
    While training for the Olympics, stopped at the ISU wrestling room and proceeded to pin everyone on the team, including their heavyweight.
  On the boat trip to Paris, he routinely pinned every member of the USA Olympic team, including the heavyweight Gold medalist.

John Smith was from OSU.  He had a low single and a leglace...........
Hard to compare athletes from different eras.

Rocky Marciano was undefeated but I doubt he would have fared well against the top heavys of the 70's and 80's ( today's crop of stiffs he may actually be the top dog ).

Jim Brown may just be average if he had had to deal with linebackers like Ray Lewis.

How would Jim Thorpe do against Carl Lewis ?

Johnny Weismuller against the top swimmers of today ? I don't think so.

I am sure Reed was the best of the best for his time but I am having a hard time believing advances in training , nutrition, sports medicine, etc wouldn't have put him at a real disadvantage with todays top guys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by maj »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
I think Jim Brown would STILL dominate.