Author Topic: Should this be legal?  (Read 2962 times)

Drooke

Should this be legal?
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:53:19 PM »
This is a video from Flowrestling that appeared to glorify these "huge-powerbombs".  My question is should they be legal?  It appears as though people feel strongly one way or another.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/cove ... powerbombs

*if this post doesn't fit the parameters of this forum then please promptly delete*

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: Should this be legal?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »
I yes they should be legal.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
Can easily be called illegal, especially at the JR. and below levels.

In standing holds executed from behind when the opponent
is head down (reverse waist hold), the fall must be executed only to
the side and never from top to bottom (header)

Brutality: Unnecessary roughness, with clear intent to injure the opponent.
Penalized by disqualification from the tournament.

Two of these throws had no purpose but to drill the opponent.  It was also poor technique.  Just hit a back arch.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »
I know thats the rule and I am ok with that.

But the idea is to go for the Touch Fall and thbe way he did it IMO is the best way to do this.

This is exactly how Krelin did it.

But I am ok with making it illegal at the lower levels. I do not want to see people hurt.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »
I'm not a FILA ref but the touch fall (instantaneous) is sort of a misnomer.  Yes, the fall is and can be very quick, but it should not be instant.  

To be observed and recognized, the fall must be clearly maintained. The two shoulders of the wrestler in question must be simultaneously touching the mat during the short period of stoppage specified in the first paragraph.

1st Paragraph:

When the defensive wrestler is held by his opponent with his two shoulders against the mat for a sufficient time to allow the referee to observe the total control of the fall, the resulting maneuvre is considered to be a fall.

The instantaneous fall does not exist (article 44). If the wrestler falls instantly from a standing position following a move by his opponent, the attacker receives three points.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »
Good point.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »
These slams have HUGE potential for DISASTER! If this continues, I think the potential for some kid to be paralyzed from the neck down from this is ENORMOUS! Even if he isnt attempting to bring him down on the neck, its so close that it defies any precepts of safe wrestling.  Even if Karelin and others did it many times, I dont care, because most of these kids that will be trying it DONT have that expertise. These are CLEARLY slams and they are WAY too close to the most vulnerable part of the body.

Just watching that I cringed!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

jvscrub

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »
I don't want to sound like a wrestling snob, but the power slam such as that in the video just seems to be poor form.  It looks too much like WWE, and the potential for serious life altering injury is just too great.

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
I can't wait for a supporter of this technique to have his own kid paralyzed from it.

Then I will write him a letter and ask if he still supports the move.
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

jvscrub

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
I made a comment about that same move in the mma section.  I don't think it should be legal at any level.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »
It happened to a kid from MA a few years ago during the East Coast FS Duals.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
Quote from: "jvscrub"
I don't want to sound like a wrestling snob, but the power slam such as that in the video just seems to be poor form.  It looks too much like WWE, and the potential for serious life altering injury is just too great.

WE AGREE!!! WE AGREE!!! WE AGREE!!!

See I told you it would happen!  :lol:
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

jvscrub

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 04:59:04 PM »
Just keep the topics on wrestling, ha ha.  It doesn't even look like a legitimate throw, just dropping an opponent on their head.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
You gotta start somewhere!
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Pirman

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
My question to people who are against this.  What would you do if you are the top wrestler and the guy on bottom to scrambles to this vertical position if we make the move a slam call?  Hard to complete the reverse lift throw if the bottom guy stays between your legs?  Not saying we should or shouldnt outlaw the slam, just playing a devils advocate.
I do not need the government to run my life, I live in America not North Korea or Iran.