Author Topic:  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
One thing that I have noticed (more at the HS and International) levels then anything is that lack of defense and the ability to score off of your opponents attacks.

As a freshman in college I was told by one of my coaches that its hard to lose when you do not give up points. Now he also said that does not mean you have no offense.

Work with kids on shots off the other guys shots and set ups. Part of drilling needs to have this in there. To many coaches focus on the initial shot. But we all know alot of points are scored of the counter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
Our weakness from neutral is what has killed our international success. We seem to work for stale mates more than we try to convert to a finish.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
I agree, to much 1 shot and done.

Brands, in his day at the internatioanl level it was always series of shots and action.

Smith, was the master of getting turns off the takes downs.

These are things that can be coached and need to be.

Example was the HS dual the other night. I do not think I saw one second shot. Heck that was two of the best teams in the state.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

StephanVonVesthell

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »
I agree.  This has been one thing we have worked on all year.  Shot reshot, or reshot off opponents shot.  Our practice room looks great with guys back and forth shot reshotting until someone finds the takedown.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by StephanVonVesthell »

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
Good job, IMO it will give them the edge when it counts
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

StephanVonVesthell

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
Good job, IMO it will give them the edge when it counts
I agree, of course that's why we do it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by StephanVonVesthell »

Offline RedWrestler

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
that is something that i do really good with, the reshot. also if you get in on some ones legs, but not deep enough, then the knee slide up. kinda like a reshot but your still in on his legs, just getting in deeper with your head up to finish the shot correctly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RedWrestler »
"Gentlemen. You can\'t fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Offline ER Coach

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:12:34 AM »
The newer wrestlers, in particular, want the perfect setup before taking a shot, so doing a reshot after defending against a shot is a risk they won't take unless they've drilled it at practice and have become comfortable with the other wrestler's shot as their setup.  Reshots are the empirical example of "reflex" wrestling and take consistant drilling and practice. I can't say I've had tremendous success with getting offense or defense to do a reshot, but we've improved on it some this season.

With regard to turning an opponent while defending a shot, I tell my guys, especially the new ones, they get one try at it and then they get behind them for two.  As they gain experience I'll work more with turns from a shot defense.

Rob
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ER Coach »
When you feel it's time to bury your guns.......It's time to dig them up.

Offline RedWrestler

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:15:21 AM »
reshot is apart of chain wrestling. that is what we need to emphisive more in the wrestling. Chain wrestling, constaint motion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RedWrestler »
"Gentlemen. You can\'t fight in here. This is the War Room!"

crablegs

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
This thread kind of took off onto chain wrestling and re-shots, but your original post was about defense.  I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Kolat site, but here is a great blog about defense.  <a href='http://www.kolat.com/blog/put-more-time-into-defensive-wrestling' target='_blank'>http://www.kolat.com/blog/put-more-time-in...nsive-wrestling[/url]

By the way I think Kolat is awesome and one of the best wrestlers ever from America.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by crablegs »

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:40:29 PM »
Thanks crab
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »
I actually wrote a paper that more than touches on this topic.

It was about how to get kids interested and keep them interested in wrestling. How to make it intrinsically valuable to them. IMO it all starts with WINNING. And how do you teach kids at a young age to WIN? Defense thats how. Kids want to win. In fact, Ive found that they identify with a certain sport ie "that's what I'm good at" or "That's what I'm made for" or "That's what I like best" based almost solely off of winning early and often.

80%+ leg attacks coming at a kid in elementary and middle school are poorly (if at all) set-up. It's much easier to teach kids stance discipline and sound head >hands>arms>hips defense. The problem is they all want to be what I call "Dean Malinko - Man of 1000 moves."

A kid that has good position throughout a match, has good reflexes and reaction time to shots, and has ingrained down blocking, and understands the front headlock position can win win win win win with ease at that level.

Too many coaches at the youth level want to indulge the Dean Malinko man of 1000 moves mentality. They spend WAY too much time teaching offense in the neutral position. And even though so much time is spent there, kids still seem to have no feel and poor set-up actions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Intensity guru »
I always bring my hips to the party.