Author Topic:  (Read 1552 times)

Offline AKHvywght

• All-American
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:59:42 am »
After a wrestler takes an offensive shot, the defensive wrestler attempts to counter. Things like knee slides on inside step shots, and rotating to the corner on outside step shots are what I term "The second Exchange."  In fact, as you get into a scramble situation in some cases, there can be a lot of exchanges before the take down occurs.  

I feel that in order to develop a great offense from your feet, you have to gain the ability to transition from your shot into your second exchange, and based on reactions a third, four and fifth ect.

The transition from shot into finish needs to be continuous and fluid.  The process will not work at a high level if it's a step one, step two, step three kind of technique.  Chain wrestling through the exchanges after your shot is critical.  

This second exchange concept is tricky to teach young wrestlers.  I like to see kids drill the exchanges.  I want the defensive wrestler to give a look and make the offensive driller transition through the exchanges.  

In the normal progression of shot offense, you beat the head hands defense with your pre-shot set-up, how well the set-up works and how deep you get relies heavily on timing and coordination, this is the first exchange.  One you have beaten the head hands defense, the second exchange happens.  The second exchange is typically either fighting through the defensive wrestlers hips, or avoiding fighting the hips by making a corner.  Once we have gotten this far, the third, fourth, fifth exchange, and beyond, is dealing with wizzers and funk.  

I think wrestlers need to drill with a partner who can give them a realistic feel, meaning resistance at each level exchange.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AKHvywght »

Offline ER Coach

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:19:37 am »
Good points AK

One key to moving from the start of the initial exchange through the completion of the final exchange, regardless of how many exchanges come into play between the first and last one, is setting the wrestlers focus on the final result rather than one of the intermediary points.  When drilling a double, for instance, the drill goes through the entire shot and finish, including for example, reaching for a half while retaining a leg turk and keeping pressure on the hips.  I see a lot of drills where the offense shoots under, drops his guy to the mat, then both wrestlers hop to their feet and do it again.  The problem is the offense had little resistance and stopped his drill as soon as defense's but hit the mat.  That teaches him to stop after too few of the exchanges have been completed. Likewise defense is not training himself to go immediately to good wrestling position when he gets taken down.

Having a drill partner that will help you by applying appropriate resistance throughout the drill and will at the same time work his own proper position and tequnique is good for both wrestlers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ER Coach »
When you feel it's time to bury your guns.......It's time to dig them up.