Author Topic:  (Read 1576 times)

Offline AKHvywght

• All-American
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:22:43 am »
I like to start from the bottom with a quick stand up, attempt to jump the ref's whistle and get the first move.  Once on my feet, I'm fighting for hand control and getting my hips away.  I see too many people who don't cut a sharp corner when cutting away, they kind of run foreword in a circular manner.  Must cut your corner sharply and stay in good position ready to sprawl when you cut away after a stand-up.  Do not, run away from the top wrestler, rather, turn back into him.

If the top wrestler maintains his grip and does a mat return after my stand up, i like to hit a switch as he is bringing me down.  If the top wrestler stays with the switch and follows, I'm going to a peterson roll, or head post turn in.  If the top guy has followed me this far...he's pretty good.  

Now I'll usually look to set up a granby, and if that doesn't work or I can't clear my feet to a position where I can hit the granby, I go back to the stand-up and start over.  

Continuous motion from bottom without giving up position is the key.  Build a series where one move sets up the next, and you are always in motion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AKHvywght »

Offline ER Coach

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:15 am »
"Continuous motion from bottom without giving up position is the key. Build a series where one move sets up the next, and you are always in motion."

Allways on offense......absolutely!  One of my biggest pet peeves is the bottom guy that won't work for his benefit but strictly works defense.

I'm a big proponent of continuous level changes on the bottom.  Hips and shoulders continuously changing elevation with one or the other.  Works to keep the top guy loose and works to set you up for whatever presents itself.  If you have a guy ridng your hips hard, get your shoulders up and your hands off the mat.  Work for wrist control and step out and away or turn the corner for a switch.  If he plows into your shoulders and drives your upper body down, pop your hips up and work from your toes for a granby or turn in and look for a fireman or swim his waist and shuck him over your head.  Nothing fancy, just using his riding position against him to keep him on defense and work for your reversal or escape.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ER Coach »
When you feel it's time to bury your guns.......It's time to dig them up.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:35 am »
I was not explosive but hardly ever got rode. In HS and college I did 90% of my mat wrestling blindfolded or with my eyes closed. this was taught to me the old school Les Anderson of IA State.

This does one thing. Teaches you to rely on instinct and the ability to move based on feel. As soon as I felt a opponent out of position I exploded. It served me well. Also led to alot of pins on top.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:42:43 am »
What are your opinions of working out of a tripod from bottom?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:12 am »
Quote from: "drmuscle"
What are your opinions of working out of a tripod from bottom?
not something I did all that often, IMO it opens you up alot. For me it was ll about your hips. I did literally 75-100 hip hiests (sp) a day. if you can create speration and can use your hips you should be fine.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline AKHvywght

• All-American
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:12 pm »
You can do a tripod stand up, just keep your head away from your knee.  You will be subject to a single leg after the stand up in most cases.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AKHvywght »

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:45:48 pm »
Quote from: "AKHvywght"
You can do a tripod stand up, just keep your head away from your knee.  You will be subject to a single leg after the stand up in most cases.
I love when Heavys would try to tripod on me.. easy spiral, get the wrist to a high half, or get the legs in and really pound on them....
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline ER Coach

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »
I like working from a true tripod (forehead and toes) but not so much from hands and toes.  In either case, I don't recommend staying there long.  If you can pop up your hips and bring the guy high, then immediately turn in for your own single leg or turn in to face him.  Work to avoid the front head lock, underhooks, etc., and be ready to look for a knee dump or a sit through spin on their upper arm (we call it a Kelly spin), or if he's parallel, swim over the waist and look to swim over the neck with a half.  As V noted, if you're there for long, your gonna get some boots thrown in on you and if both go in, it's a long way to the mat when they yank those wrists out from under you....I tend also to look for a snow plow (head in the back of the arm pit with wrist control) when I have someone under me in a tripod coming up on their hands.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ER Coach »
When you feel it's time to bury your guns.......It's time to dig them up.