Author Topic: Forum Moderators Assigned  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Forum Moderators Assigned
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »
We have assigned forum moderators.  These are:

The Du - Wrestling
Julio - Wrestling
Rockhard - Wrestling
nywrestler4life - Wrestling
StephanVonVesthell - Martial Arts
acguns - Miscellaneous, Politics
brycemus - Miscellaneous, Politics
ViseGrip - Miscellaneous, Politics
Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012 - Polls

Sub-forums are included, here... so "Wrestling", in this list, includes College, International, etc.  In addition, each of these moderators has the ability to ban users.

I think that a word about our expectations is in order.

Foremost, we need help keeping the spam down... and it is primarily for this reason that we've given these moderators the ability to ban users.  While it's not out of the question for them to ban an actual user for some sort of extreme behavior, this should be very rare.  By and large, Viratas (preferably) or I (as necessary) will handle banning people for bad behavior.  If we're not around, and something really needs to be done (e.g. someone keeps posting illegal material) we'd expect a moderator to act, and inform us ASAP.

Confining our moderators to particular fora does limit their ability to remove spam; it's an arrangement we're going to try out, however.  I strongly prefer to limit people's powers to their own demesnes, rather than give them global powers and expect them to exercise restraint.

In general, moderators should use a light touch, and err on the side of free speech. We do have a policy of modest censorship, here, but we want open discourse.  Our main way of keeping users under control should be peer pressure; if someone isn't respecting the standards of our community, people need to speak up. Moderators are not the parents here, and the rest of the people here are (so far as I know) not children.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Moderators Assigned
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »
pshh...

Wheres my mod?  Me and stephen are the only ones who are usually up when we get spammed at 2 am.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:48:25 AM »
aaa

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
Lost we can add you
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
Yippee!