Author Topic:  (Read 3442 times)

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »
In Iowa, every year there is a huge debate on all of the local boards about whether the tournament should be seeded.  It currently is not and I like it that way.  What do some other states do and what are some of the pros and cons?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by acguns »
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
I'm originally from Iowa and love the way they do it. I hope it continues. In CO it is a type of seed; 4 regions with 4 placers; winner of one wrestles loser of another, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »
Oklahoma is 2 regions with 4 qualifiers each.  1st in East V 4th in West, etc.  There is a provision that the 3rd place qualifier can choose to take the 4th spot on the bracket so they'll be on the opposite side from their regions winner.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by OkieSpladle »

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
We currently have 8 districts with the top two advancing from each.  Champ in one district, first round vs. a runner-up from another district.  They use a formula to decide which district will face another in the first round.  It seems the most fair because everyone is given an equal chance.  I think it works great but alot of people complain that sometimes the supposed "best " kids end up on the same side of the bracket.  I think if they are truly the best, they will prove it.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
I think if they are truly the best, they will prove it.

Precisely why I like the system. We just came out of a seeded tournament and their was WAY too much politics involved. I say just go the blind draw and wrestle back for true second.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
Wrestling is for the kids, not internet posters who have illusions of grandeur and think they should dictate some other kids' state tournaments.  Rankings are fun for parents but their place is the internet, nowhere else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by SnotRocket »
My girlfriend and I went to a dinner party the other night and we ended up playing charades. There was another couple there that was deaf. They were so good.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »
Only returning state placers are seeded. And league champions can't match up with other league champs in the first round. That's all for us.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rockhard »
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Indiana Wrestler

• LXP
  • National Team
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
From what I remember, Indiana is kinda of seeded... here's the break-down:

There are 4 semi-states. The winner from one will face the 4th place from another semi-state on the opposite end of the state (cant remember if its east/west or north/south) in the first round, and 2nd will wrestle 3rd place winners in the first round. Thats friday night, and Friday night losers goes home. There is then a full-wrestle off for 5th through 8th, the losers from the semi-finals wrestler for 3rd and 4th.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Indiana Wrestler »

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
Thats it. Indiana has a great tournament series with full wrestlebacks at state.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Intensity guru »
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
No seeding here in CA. They try to seperated the top 2 kids so they can meet in the finals.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by DiMaria »
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:43:05 AM »
MN is not seeded. The top 2 guys from each region qaulify. in round 1 a number 1 will wrestle a number 2. But the brackets are laid out already meaning where each regions guy will end up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

crablegs

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »
Iowa has where a district champion can't wrestle another district champion in the first round.  The argument for seeding would be so that the two best wrestlers meet in the finals and not the quarters or semis.  I like it the way it is(I always had good draws).  The best is going to win anyway, but for the fans, might like to see the best match in the finals.  I would keep it as it is, but wouldn't have a problem with them changing it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by crablegs »

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:43:27 AM »
Sometime tonight we will know the pairings for the state tournament.  That is when the uproar on the local boards begins on seeding.  I agree crab, I like it just the way it is.

crablegs

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
Here is a good argument for seeding the thing though.  The first round pairings are now up.  At 160, nationally ranked wrestlers Michael Moreno and John Nicholson met in the district finals.  What is the winner rewarded with?  He is put on the same side of the bracket as #1 Derek St. John, while Moreno will likely be in the finals.  This is a strong argument for seeding if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by crablegs »

Offline horatio

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »
Wisconsin is not seeded, but sectional champs wrestle section runner-ups in the first round, that's with D1 though (big schools).  D2 & 3 sectional champs have a first round bye.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by horatio »
"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."