Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "SnotRocket"
Wrestling is for the kids, not internet posters who have illusions of grandeur and think they should dictate some other kids' state tournaments.  Rankings are fun for parents but their place is the internet, nowhere else.
What?  That makes no sense.  

In Ohio there are 4 Districts.  1-4 from each weight go to States.  They chose the matchups for State (i.e. ME1 Vs. SA4, etc). The way they do the matchups guards against #1 and #2 from a given district from meeting up in the first 2 rounds of the State tourney.  I can't imagine why anyone would be against a seeding system. Souldn't there be some advantage to performing well during the season?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jointdoc55 »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
Quote from: "Jointdoc55"
Wrestling is for the kids, not internet posters who have illusions of grandeur and think they should dictate some other kids' state tournaments.  Rankings are fun for parents but their place is the internet, nowhere else.

In Ohio there are 4 Districts.  1-4 from each weight go to States.  They chose the matchups for State (i.e. ME1 Vs. SA4, etc). The way they do the matchups guards against #1 and #2 from a given district from meeting up in the first 2 rounds of the State tourney.  I can't imagine why anyone would be against a seeding system. Souldn't there be some advantage to performing well during the season?
Im with you JD.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline maj

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
Tennessee- Two divisions , public and private.

The private is a 16 man bracket, double elimination and typically contains some byes. All private school kids qualify for states as there are only about 14 schools. The bracket is seeded and typically the champ doesn't get tested until the finals. Top one or two guys are very good ( Jorden Leen was a private school kid ) but there is no depth. Many guys placeing 3 and lower would not qualify to even get to the tournament in the public school division.

Public school- 32 man bracket have to place top 3 in a region to qualify. All public schools with no regard to size are lumped together. There are about 130 public schools with wrestling. We have schools with 200 kids competing with schools who have 2000+. Bracket's  only seeding is if a returning medalist wins his region, no other criteria is used. Blind draw for everything else. To add insult to injury this is a pull through bracket set up where if you lose , the wrestler who beat you has to make it through the quarters. If he doesn't , you are done. This year we had some very good wrestlers who were one and done. Matchups that should have been a quarter or semi finals were happeneing in the first and second round. Really tough for kids who would have likely wrestled back to the medal rounds to be forced in the stands afer one match. Efforts to make this a double elimination have to date fallen on deaf ears. If the public school tournament was on a par with the private, we would have a 64 man bracket with double elimination. Easy to see which group the TN sports authority favors.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by maj »

Offline SnotRocket

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 09:12:28 PM »
Quote from: "ViseGrip"
Quote from: "Jointdoc55"
Wrestling is for the kids, not internet posters who have illusions of grandeur and think they should dictate some other kids' state tournaments.  Rankings are fun for parents but their place is the internet, nowhere else.

Im with you JD.
I misunderstood the question and jumped to conclusions, I thought it would just be ignored, but you caught me.  Detectives you guys are.

Anyways, to answer the question properly the Missouri state tournament follows a formula that dictates what district champs will be on the same side of the bracket..  The district champs wrestle the fourth placers from a different district.  These placements cause some matches most would bill as "finals matches" to be wrestled in the semi's, but I think the MO system works ok.  There are four classes but apparently there's buzz about another for private schools.  Don't know how I feel about that one, but it will probably lure some good kids to private schools if they can travel and compete nationally.  

For examples from MO, go to www.missouriwrestling.com and go to the state tournament info on the top of the screen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by SnotRocket »
My girlfriend and I went to a dinner party the other night and we ended up playing charades. There was another couple there that was deaf. They were so good.

Offline Indiana Wrestler

• LXP
  • National Team
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »
I do like how IN works out... the 4 winners of Semi-state potentially wont meet till semi-finals, and the #2 wrestler from semi-state is put on the opposite side of the bracket. I do remember that often while I was in HS and afterwards the #1 and #2 or so ranked wrestler would come out of the same semi-state area
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Indiana Wrestler »

Offline M-W_D3Husky

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
NY tried some sort of new seeding format this year but I feel it may need some work.  Some seeds simply didn't make sense; Paul Ligouri, 2x State Champ ('06 and '07) and 3rd in '08, somehow gets the #7 seed and sees a defending state champ (Lenzi) in the quarters where he lost 6-5.  He wrestled back to take 3rd just like last year. How on earth was he seeded so low?  New York is definitely in need of a better, more specific seeding strategy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by M-W_D3Husky »