Author Topic:  (Read 1276 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »
I went to this dual last night and was impressed with how much my old HS program has progressed.  When I was there we were ok, but BA routinely beat the crap out of us.  This match was even broadcast on the local cable channel.

This was a well wrestled and close match.  There was only one fall, no techs and 2 majors.  In the match of the night, #1 Ronnie Balfour gave up a 2nd period take down, but responded with a takedown of his own to knock off #2 Zach Skates 4-3.

Also featured in this dual were nationally ranked wrestlers #18 Josh Walker (WBD 7-4 @ 103) and #30 Terry Williamson (WBMD 10-0 @215).  Union's all time winningest wrestler and 2 time dfending state champion Joey Sheridan won 6-2 at 171.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by OkieSpladle »

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • VERA LIBERTAS
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:18:21 AM »
video anywhere?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Intensity guru »
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:14 AM »
Union should win state in 6A this year. But Ponca could surprise.

Have you been following Midwest City? Talk about "penthouse to outhouse"!

For those that dont know, the best team in the western 1/2 of this state and probably the best large school team overall in state history is the Bombers. They won 6A (largest class) last year. This year?.....

They can barely field a team. They lost 84-0 to one of the Kansas City teams in December and cancelled their duals for a month. They even dropped out of the historic Geary Tournament. They now have about 7 kids and the other weights are forfeited. Its really sad and alarming.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
Quote from: "ViseGrip"

For those that dont know, the best team in the western 1/2 of this state and probably the best large school team overall in state history is the Bombers. They won 6A (largest class) last year. This year?.....

They can barely field a team. They lost 84-0 to one of the Kansas City teams in December and cancelled their duals for a month. They even dropped out of the historic Geary Tournament. They now have about 7 kids and the other weights are forfeited. Its really sad and alarming.
I would agree, though Muskogee upset them at dual state which Ponca eventually won.

Midwest City is a stunner.  I don't really know the specifics of the situation, but its a shame to see such a tradition rich program not even be able to field a competitive team.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by OkieSpladle »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:45:09 AM »
Quote from: "OkieSpladle"
Quote from: "ViseGrip"

I would agree, though Muskogee upset them at dual state which Ponca eventually won.

Midwest City is a stunner.  I don't really know the specifics of the situation, but its a shame to see such a tradition rich program not even be able to field a competitive team.
From what I understand, last year was the final group of wrestlers who started their careers in the fabled Lil Bomber grade school program which was killed as an official afterschool activity.

The previous coach, Jody Marple did little to promote kids wrestling. When he saw what was about to happen this year, he quit just days before the school session started.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
That's just plane sad (MWC).  For those who may have not figured it out, MWC is the Bombers, presumably because of the proximity of Tinker AFB, which is close by. I knew the coach there back in the early 90s.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jointdoc55 »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:47 AM »
Quote from: "Jointdoc55"
That's just plane sad (MWC).  For those who may have not figured it out, MWC is the Bombers, presumably because of the proximity of Tinker AFB, which is close by. I knew the coach there back in the early 90s.
Which one?

Keep  in mind folks that not too long ago MWC was National HS champions.

Offline Indiana Wrestler

• LXP
  • National Team
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:07:28 AM »
Thats really sad...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Indiana Wrestler »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »
Quote from: "Indiana Wrestler"
Thats really sad...
The good news is the school superintendent that killed the afterschool program has been fired.