Author Topic:  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • VERA LIBERTAS
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:16:48 pm »
I have been teaching wrestling for a long time. But I thought I would get your input on what basic skills drills you guys like and have been successful with in the past. My oldest son is 5 1/2 and a wrestling fanatic. He goes to the Central Indiana Wrestling Academy once a week. He knows how to sprawl - stance motion - double leg - stand up - chop breakdown - half nelson - hip heist etc. One drill we do now that he likes is shot>sprawl/knock out>hip heist>circle up but he struggles with it. He seems to have slow feet, he kind of lumbers when he runs, but he is a perfectionist and tries to do everything correctly.  He also learns things very quickly and get's bored easily. If your drills require a partner, he practices with my nephew who is 6 and lives a block away so that is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Intensity guru »
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:31:52 pm »
Sounds like you have him off to a great start. One drill I would add in there is down blocks if you do not already. To me it looks like you have a great foundation for him. I would stick with that and tell him it may get boring, but you are creating muscle memory which is key in wrestling. It stops the brain from thinking and lets the body react. Like cutting the middle man out.

Also on the sprawls and I am sure you know this, make sure their hips are not coming up at all, be in a good stance, shhot the leg back and pound with the hip. (I always say its like punching someone in the head with your hips. Most kids actually jump up a bit when the sprawl, thus elevating their hips and leaving an opening.

Also teach him a back step (for throws) and how to pop his hips. The srill is more about popping the hips then it is about any move. I rarely showed throws but I sis teach them how to pop and clear the hips.

With a partner, re-shots are key one guys shoots, you sprawl then hit a shot on the way up. Again this gets back to developing muscle memory and instinctive reactions.

Also, when they drill take downs, they should be looking for a turn off every single finish, catch a half, cradle or arm bar. IMO this is key and again teaches their body to react and always look for the turn.. No thinking involved over time..

There are a few off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline AKHvywght

• All-American
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:12 pm »
Stand up, partner mat returns, land in a good base and stand up again.  

I also think it could be a great advantage for a young wrestler to drill a variety of offense from a front headlock.  (near ankle pick, cross ankle pick, head in the hole chase the corner to a near side cradle, cross knee tap, shuck by, near knee blocking go behind)  A very basic technique that can be easily developed is just to make the back hand go behind natural.  To develop an innate ability to score from a front headlock at a young age can lead to dominance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AKHvywght »

Offline ER Coach

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:06 pm »
Our basic "new wrestler" drills for the younger crowd are limited to three or so basic movements from each position.  On the feet, we work a lot with ducks and shucks, single/double shots, and snap downs.  Our focus with the duck under is to teach the real young kids how to use it as a counter for a head-n-arm and as an offensive take down.  Same idea with shucks when dealing with a bull rusher.  The double/single shot is mostly about changing levels and then driving through the move. The snap down teaches them to sprawl as an offense technique as well as how to set themselves up for a front head lock.

On top we'll have them work on an arm chop/tight waist break down and emphasize reaching for the far half or near wing depending on how the defense lands on the mat.  Far ankle and knee and reaching for the near half, or climbing the body, again depending on how the defense lands on the mat.  For pinning, we work a lot with basic half from both sides, single wing with far wrist control, and cradles.

On the bottom we limit things to a stand up and sit out.  We put a lot of emphasis on continuous action from the bottom so they dictate the pace of the match.  To expand on those two through the season we concentrate on various finishes and using hips.  Later in the season we'll go through switches, but not till they've done well with the sits, and look like they have an awareness of how to move and use their hips.

As for specific drills....any of the above moves can be set up at the 1/4 or 1/2 way point and on the whistle the kids have to finish the move.  When we set them up we make sure they're in perfect position as if they had started the move correctly. They learn the value of changing level, for instance, on a double shot when their head is tight to the waist and their hips are under their shoulders rather than face down on the mat with their butt in the air.  On sits, for another example, have them start in a sit out position with their shoulders in front of their hips and elbow on their own knees.  Top guy is on knees and has a double spiral and head tight to the center of the back. On the whistle the top guy has to take bottom back to base, or to his back.  Bottom has to work for inside control of the arms or wrist control and hip heist to a stand up or turn inside and look for a knee dump or swim the waist.  Another variation is to start the top guy with double under hooks  and have the bottom guy defend being ripped backwards.  They get a good feel for keeping their shoulders forward with that one.  Same thing goes for having the top guy with a cradle locked from that position and the bottom guy has a two on one on a wrist.  They learn to break that grip and use full body pressure to avoid the turn while learning the value of controlling the other guys arms.  Lots of variations, but look at what the kids are doing on the mat in a match and base your drill on what will improve or correct.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ER Coach »
When you feel it's time to bury your guns.......It's time to dig them up.