Author Topic: Fantasy Questions Thread  (Read 8153 times)

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Fantasy Questions Thread
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »
I realize most of you have not played under these rules before, and while I did post the rules at the beginning of the draft you undoubtedly have some questions.

I figure its better for you guys to ask now then finish the draft and realize you didn't understand how lineups work, or something like that.

So ask away and I'll do my best to answer

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:23:58 AM »
Lost I have a question on back ups... If for example someone picks Prado at 133 from ASU and then someone else picks Ashmore at 25/33, what would happen if Ashmore beat Prado in a wrestle-off? Would the guy who picked Prado first get points for Ashmore because he is the ASU 33, or would the person who picked Ashmore get the points.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:30:20 AM »
We are drafting wrestlers, not weights.  So if you draft Ashmore you will get Ashmores points, whether they are at 125 or 133.

The backup rule is intended mainly for guys who get injured.  So lets say you drafted Brent Metcalf, and halfway through the season he suffered a career ending injury.  Rather then saying "shit, you are out of luck" you get to score points for his backup.  IE lets say Matt Balleweg moved down to 149 because of Metcalfs injury (this is just to give you an example not because its realistic).  Then every Dual Iowa wrestled you would be able to score whatever points Balleweg scores by starting Metcalf.

Originally we had it so that you had to name the backup (IE start Balleweg in your lineup instead of Metcalf to score his points) but this created a lot of problems because it often wasn't clear when an injured guy would be wrestling, nor was it always certain who his backup would be.

Now lets go back to your Hypothetical example again.  Lets say you drafted Ashmore, and someone else drafted Prado (I dont know why the F they would do that... but if They did).  If ashmore is starting at 133 you get his points.  But if Ashmore were to get injured, you would NOT be able to score Prados points as his backup, since Prado is on another team.

To give you an example of a real life scenario, if one guy drafts Leclere and thats it he gets points for the entire year at 141 during Iowa duals, no matter who wrestles.  If he drafts Leclere and someone else drafts Slaton, the guy who drafted Leclere is out of Luck if slaton starts.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:35:57 AM »
Thanks, I got it.  I wasn't sure if we were drafting weights more than wrestlers.

Drooke

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
Quote from: "LoSt"
and someone else drafts Slaton, the guy who drafted Leclere is out of Luck if slaton starts.

I think you just found your 141.  :lol:

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:15:58 AM »
When are we posting the line-ups each week?  

What about the Boise State meet? (I am particularly interested in this one)
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Drooke

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:20:36 AM »
Lost mentioned several pages ago that he was negating the Boise dual because of our lackluster performance in picking our teams.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:27:24 AM »
Quote from: "Drooke"
Lost mentioned several pages ago that he was negating the Boise dual because of our lackluster performance in picking our teams.

This is what I found.
I will let people post lineups before the draft is finished if necessary. But once we are past the 31st it will no longer count, so make sure you draft any Boise guys before the 31st if you want that match to count
I had them all before the 31st so this is a valid question.  It really doesn't matter because I am winning this thing anyway. :P
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »
Yep, we aren't counting Boises meets today, or any competitions tihs week, because of how slow people were in getting this draft done.

Lineups are due on fridays, I'm not going to set a firm time deadline but you need to have them in by the time the first event starts that day.  (IE you cant wait till after CKLV starts to choose which guys you are running with, and likewise with duals).

I'll be starting a thread every week for people to post Lineups in so you'll be able to post it well in advance.

Something we still have to figure out is the scoring, cuz I'm not going to do it.  I know BryanB and one or two others have volunteered to help.  Once we get the draft taken care of I'll start a thread to figure out how we are going to manage the accounting

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:30:09 AM »
Quote from: "acguns"

This is what I found.
I will let people post lineups before the draft is finished if necessary. But once we are past the 31st it will no longer count, so make sure you draft any Boise guys before the 31st if you want that match to count
I had them all before the 31st so this is a valid question.  It really doesn't matter because I am winning this thing anyway. :P

I was originally going to do this because I thought we'd be sitting at where we are right now as of like two days ago.  So I thought people would be in good enough shape that Lee/Hochstrasser/Casperon/Hall/Chamberlain etc would all be off the table.

But I dont think its fair to not give points to the guy who drafted Nate Lee just because the draft moved along really slowly.

Drooke

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:41:40 AM »
Something we still have to figure out is the scoring, cuz I'm not going to do it.  I know BryanB and one or two others have volunteered to help.  Once we get the draft taken care of I'll start a thread to figure out how we are going to manage the accounting

Have you ever tried an honor system where everyone is responsible for there own scoring.  Of course all scoring is open to audit by anyone playing the game.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:45 AM »

Have you ever tried an honor system where everyone is responsible for there own scoring.  Of course all scoring is open to audit by anyone playing the game.

I dont trust you fools...

Honestly though, its not that any of us are dishonest, I just think that is a bad idea, especially if there IS money on the table.  Plus I can tell you from experience that almost everyone is going to do their own scores anyway, and there are frequent discrepencies between the comishes score and the person whos team it is scores.  Sometimes the error is on one side and sometimes its on the other.

The best way I think is to have someone (or someones) in charge of scoring, and then people can do their own scoring and check it against the master score.  Almost all problems get ironed out this way.

Drooke

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »
I nominate akin.......

anyone second?

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
Akin is definitely on the hook for at least some of them, since he volunteered.  But he told me he wont do them all by himself

Drooke

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 01:57:47 AM »
My 2nd nomination is NY... the fella is a fact finding machine.   Just check the USA wrestling wiki project....