Author Topic: Looking for suggestions  (Read 1371 times)

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Looking for suggestions
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »
We have been trying to get a wrestling room for 25+ years.  Every time that it was in the plan, it has been pushed back until the next year and beyond.  Our school board has agreed to attempt to renew the Physical Plant and Equipment Levy tax.  The vote is in April.  They are trying to decide if they should specify the projects to use the funds for, or should the money be set aside for projects to be determined later.

If the tax passes with a specific earmark, it has to be used for that project.  If it does not have a specific earmark and passes, it can be used for whatever the board deems.  Right now, the wrestling room/band room/tennis courts are what the administrative team for the district has recommended it be used for.  If it is not earmarked and it does pass, there is no guarantee that the wrestling room project will be completed.  The board is currently split on whether to earmark the funds or not, with one member adamantly opposed.  This jerk's kid only plays soccer and the new soccer field is currently under construction.  He thinks that the wrestling room/band room/tennis courts are not important and wants to leave the money free to do with whatever they please.

Has anyone faced a similar situation?  Do you have any recommendations besides punching this idiot (which I have given serious consideration to) in the face?
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:34:27 PM »
Try to get some private fund raising to supplement the schools portion. Let them know your serious, and not just looking for money in the same way as everyone else. There are lots or charitable organizations who would probabally kick in some. Maybe have a raffle of some sort. They may be more willing to put their money where someone else is also willing to pay. It also makes them look like they are being responsible with the tax payers money.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Drooke

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »
Have you ever thought about going outside of the administration and raising the money through other avenues?  Then making a donation specifically ear-marking what the money is to be used for.  Possibly if you could only raise 50 percent of the money you could negotiate a deal with the administration to fund the other half... Especially if it becomes public knowledge! :wink:

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:51:06 AM »
Your best bet is to do it yourself and get outside funds. Relying on a school to help you out is pointless, IMO.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »
It sounds like the tax will be approved by referendum.  If you think you can pull it off, you might try to get a significant number of people to pledge to vote for the tax with specific earmarks, and against the tax without it.  You have the wrestling people; your natural allies would be the band people and the tennis people.

Personally, I'd try to get it shot down if it goes to a vote without earmarks.  I'm not the trusting type.  If it fails, possibly they'll try again next year with earmarks.

If, as others suggest, you try to raise money privately, I'd look to create a privately-held facility near school grounds.  Giving your school district the money to create a wrestling room, and then having them tell you when and for what you can and (more likely) cannot use it doesn't sit well with me.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
We have tried outside matching funds before at which point we were told that it would not be accepted for a wrestling room but only for a multi-purpose room.  We also tried to have practices at a local club one mile away from the school.  Then we were told that practices and events could only be held on school grounds for liability purposes.  So we can only be at the school but cannot have a room of our own.

We are currently taking the angle of trying to get it shot down without earmarks.  There was a school board meeting last night and we had about 70 people in attendance.  I could not go because I work away from home.  My wife told the board that she has a big mouth (she said that they laughed but they know that it is true) and she would tell everyone to vote no if it was not earmarked.  Several others spoke including the band and tennis parents and the board pushed the decision to the next meeting.  We are going to try to have a bigger presence at the next meeting.

Thanks everyone for your input.  It is greatly appreciated.  I would still like to punch the one jerk.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »
I think school boards are largely affected by the voice of the people; especially telephone calls, people in attendance at meetings making themselves know and even petitions. If you can get a small group to encourage like minded citizens to put as much pressure as possible on board members I think it's your best bet. I'm assuming time is of the essence. Getting the earmark is the name of the game.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
Maybe a huge effort should be made to get his kid to come out for wrestling.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »
i would try to get it shot down if it wasn't specifically earmarked. thats just a disaster (misappropriation) waiting to happen.

i also wouldn't try to fund it privately. it's the tax-payers money and it's the school board's responsibility to use it to fund projects with the most support, and not listen to one soccer-dad with a bias. you shouldn't have to reort to your own effort to get the project done.

work on the voters to get it nixed if it isn't to be specicially used for the wrestling/band/tennis.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »
Yeah wrestling parents and board members rarely see eye to eye. Right now, our booster club is supposedly saving money to add out to our multi-purpose room where we practice. We can hold 3 full size mats, plus another 1/3 and two sets of small bleachers, with a a small area for coaches lockers. They want to add on to the end for a concession stand, bathrooms and locker rooms(we only have one set).

One of our wrestling parents went to the club meeting and they were talking about how they didn't want to build any locker rooms because only the wrestlign team would use them, totally forgetting that track, softball, tennis and baseball would use them too. Their only concern was keeping us from getting anything. Which is weird since we've had a state champ the last 3yrs, along with multiple placers and are only getting better.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."