Author Topic: Question  (Read 3022 times)

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »
Well if you win the conference week you get into the finals automatically right?  So maybe big 10 and 12 guys need to be weaker, since they get 16 points for winning conferences, in the second most important week of the season.  D3 guys count on the official records, so why shouldn't they count in fantasy?  Its just different strategy and less biased imo.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:22 PM »
Quote from: "nywrestler4life"
Well if you win the conference week you get into the finals automatically right?  So maybe big 10 and 12 guys need to be weaker, since they get 16 points for winning conferences, in the second most important week of the season.  D3 guys count on the official records, so why shouldn't they count in fantasy?  Its just different strategy and less biased imo.

We adjusted the conference values to give B10/B12 guys more points because they were not good enough as fantasy picks.  Consider a weight like 133 in the b10, where several guys finished higher at NCAAs then they did at their conference last year.  Then look at most of the ACC/Pac 10/WWC/EWL weights and half the time you can point to the champion during the pre-season.  Not to mention the fact that a #1 seed and champ in the B12's will only win 2 matches at most.  So last year that was 18 points, which a guy in the EIWA could score by taking 3rd.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
Quote from: "LoSt"
It is not the scoring that is an issue, its the level of competition.

I am not going to give ness 24 points just because he pinned some D3 kids at the Bison open.  You guys MIGHT be able to persuade me to not score non-D1 duals if there is enough of a consensus, but there is no way we are scoring all tournaments.  That would make Bryce's Iowa guys even more ----, and basically make B10/B12 guys worthless as draft picks

But yet, we score all duals, whether JC or not. It would make much more sense to me to score every event, versus not scoring non-D1 duals.

I saw we put it to a vote.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
Personally, I think all Opens should count, but matches against non-D1 competition shouldn't.  Even though that kills Metcalf's production so far this year.  I already feel like I sold my soul picking him (in two leagues no less!) the least he can do is make it worth it.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
Quote from: "Cicero"
Personally, I think all Opens should count, but matches against non-D1 competition shouldn't.  Even though that kills Metcalf's production so far this year.  I already feel like I sold my soul picking him (in two leagues no less!) the least he can do is make it worth it.

Then this becomes a logistical nightmare of figuring out which guys are from  D1 programs.  Did you know that Duquesne is a D1 school for wrestling?? I sure as hell didn't until the other day...

Changing the events we score is not something we are going to do mid-season, but we can definitely discuss it for next year.  However I really dont think that most of you understand the ramifications of what you are asking for.  Scrubby schools tend to go to scrub tournaments a lot more often then the big names do, and this would make them even more powerful.

Do you guys have any idea how insane Edinboros schedule would be if we counted the Edinboro open and the PSACS?

Eastern Michigan Open
Brockport Open
Sprawl N Brawl Duals
PSACs
vs Ohio State
Reno Tournament of champions
Southern Scuffle
Virginia duals
6x Duals
Edinboro Open
2x duals

That is LITERALLY twice the amount of matches that most b10 schools would get.  For the sake of a balanced league thats not a move I'm interested in making.  I've played with this setup for three years now (with refinements made from year-to-year) and it works absolutely great.

My advice?  Tough it out, figure out how to play, and then come talk to me at the end of the year.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »
Quote from: "Cicero"

Then this becomes a logistical nightmare of figuring out which guys are from  D1 programs.  Did you know that Duquesne is a D1 school for wrestling?? I sure as hell didn't until the other day...

Changing the events we score is not something we are going to do mid-season, but we can definitely discuss it for next year.  However I really dont think that most of you understand the ramifications of what you are asking for.  Scrubby schools tend to go to scrub tournaments a lot more often then the big names do, and this would make them even more powerful.

Do you guys have any idea how insane Edinboros schedule would be if we counted the Edinboro open and the PSACS?

Eastern Michigan Open
Brockport Open
Sprawl N Brawl Duals
PSACs
vs Ohio State
Reno Tournament of champions
Southern Scuffle
Virginia duals
6x Duals
Edinboro Open
2x duals

That is LITERALLY twice the amount of matches that most b10 schools would get.  For the sake of a balanced league thats not a move I'm interested in making.  I've played with this setup for three years now (with refinements made from year-to-year) and it works absolutely great.

My advice?  Tough it out, figure out how to play, and then come talk to me at the end of the year.

But we let IA wrestle a bunch or DIII schools? This is where your point (which is valid) makes no sense. We knew IA was wrestling none DI teams. But see that helped your team didnt it lost?
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »
lol? I have one Iowa guy who scored me like 20 points at that...

I dont see your point at all v.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »
So have you have issue with the smaller schhols having weak schedules, but IA points can count when the schedule Juco and DII teams.

That makes zero sense to me.

IMO any match wrestled should count period.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
yeah... I dont have a great explanation for that.  Its just what feels right and what works well for fantasy.

If people dont want us to score non-d1 duals  next year that is something I'm willing to consider, for the sake of consistency.  However the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to keep tourney scoring to selective tournies.

This puts a lot more strategy in the draft too and makes people actually *gasp* look things up if they want to do well, instead of pulling a Bryce and just drafting the highest ranked Iowa guy still on the board.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 01:06:40 PM »
I have no issue with the limit on the tourney, but then IMO Logic would say that you do not count non-DI duals. (next year of course)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »
This should all be for next year, BTW.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »
Yes, we will not be making any changes to the scoring system this year.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
I agree with V, we should count open tournies against d1 competition before d3 and juco duals.  Even if it means *gasp* learning what teams actually wrestle d1.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »
I agree with V, we should count open tournies against d1 competition before d3 and juco duals.  Even if it means *gasp* learning what teams actually wrestle d1.

The logistics of that are simply not going to happen.  Its all matches in a given tourney or none, those are the only options.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 04:02:18 PM »

The logistics of that are simply not going to happen.  Its all matches in a given tourney or none, those are the only options.

Or someone else runs a league.  We could have more than one going at any given time.  Perhaps we could keep this one next year and run an experimental league where we test out things like scoring all matches.  If I'm available then, I'd be willing to run something like that.