Republicans in charge of White House and Congress
3 (20%)
Split.  One party in charge of WH the other in charge of Congress
4 (26.7%)
Doesn\'t matter.  They are both the same anyway
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 20, 2010, 06:38:37 AM

Author Topic: The first ever political poll on theopenmat  (Read 1177 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
The first ever political poll on theopenmat
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »
OK, I am joking about that.  However, I think this is my first political poll.

I was at the gym and was watching Brown's acceptance speech on the news.  The person next to me was bummed because she wanted the Democrats to keep their numbers in the Senate. I don't think she new much about the candidates, just that a republican won.

Now, I have voted for politicians from both parties (and I assume you all have too) and I am not a die hard party supporter.  However, something makes me feel uncomfortable when one party controls both the executive and legislative branches of government.  After all, we fought against a parliamentary government when we won our independence, didn't we?

Are there times when having one party in control of all branches of government good?  Is Gridlock good?   Oh, and I feel I should put in the option of "they are both the same anyway" because I am sure people will bring that up anyway.

OK, what do you think?

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: The first ever political poll on theopenmat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:25:38 AM »
I voted they are the same
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »
Split. It seems to be more effective government that way, though right now I'd favor the Rep's to bring things back to balance after Obama's first year.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline royboy

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • you gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:29:11 AM »
same
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

RYou

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:14:13 AM »
I much prefer a split.  In fact, after comparing the Carter years, D&D, the Reagan years, R & R, The Bush and Bush Years of R in WH and D in Congress and then Clinton, D in the Whitehouse and R in Congress, I think the most effective balance was during Clinton,s years.  He held the reins over congress but many positives were accomplished by the Republican Congress. Bush II could never accomplish some things he wanted to tackle such as more control over banking and finance.  There was just too much democratic weight in the committees and congress to address what was foreseen back in '03 as a huge problem.  As for D&D, just go back to the Carter years, whooooooa did that create a mess.