Author Topic:  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Toughawk

• State Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:37 AM »
Quote from: "Hammerlock3"
Do you have guys change lead legs just so they can tie up with their dominant hand and protect the lead leg, or are you committed to guys having all their shots to both legs.
I think I understand your question.

We mainly do it just so that they get that trained muscle memory to protect the lead leg when making contact. And yes, trying to get them to hit shots to both legs. Also it generally leaves your attack hand free if hitting any type of "touch and go" since it is protecting the lead leg which is generally going to take the penetration step.

If any of that makes sense..........just seems to have worked for me and now I am in the process of trying to re-teach it. I had great success with one wrestler who (right leg lead, left hand contact) would get them to tie up on his left side and immediatly go into a elbow pass/high crotch never having his attack hand (also protecting lead leg) ever controlled. Took him to 5th place at state as a jr. when not expected to even qualify. Sr. year he relied to much on it and finished 6th, I could not get him to use the same set up to hit a sweep to his right (their left) as everyone knew that the elbow pass to hi-c was coming with his right hand to their right leg, even thought it was there!!! still gets me worked up, just thinking about it.

That turned into a bit of a rant :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Toughawk »

Offline Hammerlock3

• OW
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:18 AM »
to be clearer, when i think of being able to switch lead legs, I think of coaches having their wrestlers hit high crotches and single legs to both legs. Do you believe in that? Or are you guys high crotch to one leg, single to the other types?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Hammerlock3 »
'Shut up,' he Explained.

Offline Toughawk

• State Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »
I believe in hitting them to both legs if possible. Not saying that I was capable of it as I only ever hit a sweep single to my left but would hi-c in both directions. But I had to learn to change my lead legs, as for some reason when in the open I am a left leg lead but once tied up I ten to lead the right leg or square it up.

What about you hammer? what are your prefrences?

Offline Hammerlock3

• OW
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »
I teach my guys the Tom Ryan approach, which is to have a move over the top (front head/front body lock) and to both legs. If my philosophy is going to be to dictate the action in a match (which it is) having that many shots seems redundant sense I feel I'm still ready to "take what he gives me" if I only have a shot to each leg. Plus I coach almost entirely first year guys and need to economize on my time in the room, plus I heard Lincoln McIlravy talk at length about how the best guys in the world aren't jacks of all trades, they can just do highly specific moves to anyone.

Metcalf apparently doesn't subscribe to this approach, and I know Terry Brands doesn't either. However I would submit that the opportunities having several shots to both legs might be alittle much for some wrestlers, because even metcalf can be seen hitting his hip off of forced shots on occasion. But then again he scored on Bono last weekend with one of those crazy looking shots so I don't know.

Essentially, no, I don't think guys need high crotches and single legs to both legs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Hammerlock3 »
'Shut up,' he Explained.

Offline Toughawk

• State Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »
Good stuff. I enjoy your take on it.

What a great sport we have, i'm sure we could get on a mat together and both come away with a new spin on something!

Offline ER Coach

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »
What I use to get my point to wrestlers when working on their stance is to have them move around and then have them freeze. When they freeze tell them to completly relax their arms from the shoulders down (so they are just hanging there). Generally if they are in a good stance their arms/wrist/hands (depending on arm length) will be hanging directly in front of their knee(s) in both a square and attack stance (only lead leg in attack stance). If their arm/wrist/hand comes in contact with their knee(s) then they are generally too up right and if their arms/wrist/hands are hanging well away from their knee(s) then they are generally too bent at the waist.

I use a similar drill where when working stance I'll have them freeze on a whistle and then accordian down till their elbows are level with their knees.  I look for the elbows to be just in front of the knees when they get there, and the hands forward and down.

Regarding the shots, I'll have everyone drill shots to both sides initially, but put much more focus on their strong side as the season moves along.  Personally, I tend to shoot the same side. Weather it's a Hi-C or a single, I tend to be going after their right leg.  I'll drop onto a left or right leg when it's under me, but never tended to shoot for the left.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ER Coach »
When you feel it's time to bury your guns.......It's time to dig them up.

Offline quanon

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »
For me it was about how I locked the russian that proved to help me control the ties better. Most guys have one hand on the wrist one on the elbow/bicep. I would grab the guys hand on top of the wrist the from underneath come back over and grab my own wrist this locked them in (taught to me by chandler). Use the russian to create your angles and to bring the near leg in . Also use it to pressure them to the mat etc....

Viratas, could you please describe locking in the Russian tie again?  Was your wrist control hand palm up or palm down?  Did your other arm stay up by his armpit, or slide down toward the elbow?  Did you get good pressure against your opponent's shoulder joint, or were you more concerned about head position?  I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Thanks!