Author Topic: Oklahoma to grant release to Kemerer  (Read 888 times)

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Oklahoma to grant release to Kemerer
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/20 ... relea.aspx

Oklahoma wrestling head coach Jack Spates said Wednesday the Sooners are in the process of releasing current Penn State grappler Jake Kemerer from his National Letter of Intent.

Kemerer informed Spates he was leaving Oklahoma during the summer of 2009 before enrolling at Penn State for the fall semester. Now, after months of negotiations, Kemerer will soon be free of his commitment with the Sooners.

Spates said the release has to go through the National Letter of Intent Organization, which is why it's tough to tell when it will be official.

"It's a little different than just releasing someone from a scholarship," Spates said. "We put in for it, so it could be done now. I don't really know, but if it's not, it will be done within days."

Kemerer said Nittany Lion coach Cael Sanderson told him he'd be released last weekend. With the release, Kemerer will gain a year of eligibility he would've otherwise lost.

"It's awesome," Kemerer said of being released from Oklahoma. "Getting that year back to compete is just awesome."

Kemerer's mother, Margaret, said she is thrilled her son got his release. She said wrestling in college has been a dream of Kemerer's, and he will now be able to get the most out of his time as a Lion. Kemerer's parents worked during the summer and throughout the school year to get his release granted. Though the release isn't official yet, Margaret Kemerer said it's a relief knowing it's close to being resolved.

The grappler's mother said Vince DeAugustine, Kemerer's coach at Hempfield Area High School, also helped support the freshman. When Kemerer had second thoughts about attending Oklahoma, it was DeAugustine who told the 165-pounder of experiences he had while attending college far from home. Those second thoughts arose because Robbie Waller, the Sooner assistant coach who recruited Kemerer, left to take the head coaching position at Lock Haven. Waller had ties to the Kemerer family, which was a factor in the grappler's decision to wrestle for Oklahoma.

With the matter of his release soon behind him, Kemerer will be able to focus on training for his Lion career.

While he was unsure about wrestling for the Sooners, he said he has no regrets about his decision to come to Penn State.

"It's close to home and a great program," Kemerer said. "I'm really glad I'm here."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma to grant release to Kemerer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »
Good luck to him.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell