• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Bedlam
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Quote from: "Old Number Nine"
Quote from: "SetonHallPirate"
Quote from: "OkieSpladle"
Spladle-I didn't want to quote your entire post, but the official was Randy Hartman.

Have you seen him officiate before, SHP?

Can't say I have.

I was surprised to see him back after the way Firday's match went.  At one point after a heated discussion with Hartman, Coach Smith gave himself a bench warning as he walked back to the bench.

That's by rule. If a coach interrupts the meet to talk to the official, the bench warning is mandatory unless something is actually corrected.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Bedlam
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »
Quote from: "Old Number Nine"
Quote from: "OkieSpladle"
Spladle-I didn't want to quote your entire post, but the official was Randy Hartman.

Have you seen him officiate before, SHP?

Can't say I have.

I was surprised to see him back after the way Firday's match went.  At one point after a heated discussion with Hartman, Coach Smith gave himself a bench warning as he walked back to the bench.

That's by rule. If a coach interrupts the meet to talk to the official, the bench warning is mandatory unless something is actually corrected.

What ONN was referring to was Smith actually called it on himself, made the motion and everything, before the official did.  That was funny.  I wasn't aware that was the rule, but thats dumb.  If its a legitimate dispute and the Coach is respectfull about it, I don't think it should be an automatic warning.  That just cheapens the warning.  I guess we just want to encourage the Coach's to stand on the side of the mat and yell all the time rather than go to the table to discuss it.  I understand it could hold up meets and be used strategically, but thats the time to use the warning, not when its a close call and the the Coach legitimately wants an explanation.