Poll

Would making all political parties illegal be good or bad?

Good Idea
1 (50%)
Bad Idea
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: February 23, 2010, 01:23:09 PM

Author Topic: Would making all political parties illegal be good or bad?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Old Number Nine

• Novice
    • View Profile
Would making all political parties illegal be good or bad?
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
Do you think it would be a good thing if We the People of the United States of American passed a law that would make political parties illegal in this country?  We would have to do it as the politicians would never even consider it.  Just think of the savings from not having conventions every year and therefore, no having primaries, no electoral college or any of that other stupid crap.  

Anybody who wants to run for office, lets say for President, simply pays a reasonable filing fee, if he/she can afford it, and throws their name out to the people.  Any American Citizen would be eligible and of course they would be able to mention their ideology such as conservative, libertarian and even liberals will be allowed to run.  Then every American Citizen (natural and naturalized) would be allowed to vote.  Sorry, this is my imaginary world and aliens of any kind, whether legal, illegal or Martian would not be allowed to vote.  You would have to have a photo ID so that rules out vampires as well.  When the votes are counted the person with the most votes is the president and the one with the second most is the vice president.  It makes perfect sense that if something happens to the President, the second most popular candidate should step in.  Getting idiots like Joe Biden and Dan Quail should be an impossibility.  If no one gets a 50.1% majority then there would be a run off between the top two vote getters with the same Pres/VP ending although the leader in the first election my lose the runoff when the votes for the also-rans are recast.  All elections for national office would be held in this way with the process and the voting machines being identical in all states and paid for by the federal government.

The States would be able to elect State officials any way they wanted but must lease the federal election equipment if they want to go that route.  However, the can use watermelon seed spitting contests if they want to.

Members of congress would be able to vote for whatever is best for the people of their state rather than some party line.  The majority party could no longer disregard the interests of the minority.  There would still be ideological differences and squabbles in congress but they would have to work together to get anything done.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:23:09 PM by Old Number Nine »

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: Would making all political parties illegal be good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:34:19 AM »
Interesting concept
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
Wouldn't that be an infringement on our first amendment rights, mainly the right to assemble.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »
I am not sure it would be, we still can assemble.

Making it illegal may though.

You could make it illegal to identify your party possible (during an election) meaning you can only run on the issues, but would that change anything?

What we need is better accountabilty measures once people are elected IMO
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

RYou

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »
First , it would have to enacted at the federal level.
Second, there is no means for the public to petition for adding legislation for public vote.
Third,  do you really think either party would ever propose a bill to abolish the meat and potatoes they feed off of?