Author Topic: Stalling  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Stalling
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
Ultimately, though, what you're saying is they don't try.  They get carried away, and do something they don't believe in, or, at least, their program doesn't support.  Tom and Terry are doing exactly what they think they should be doing.

Why do they get away with it?  Because they're bold.  You can't reason with them, when they're like that, and not many people have the stomach for seriously confronting them.

Acting like dumbasses, shouldn't be something considered "bold." If the refs told them to sit down and shut the hell up a few times, and the refs didn't lose their job in the process, I think you'd find those guys be a little calmer on the sidelines.
Bold is bold, whether or not you're acting like a dumbass.  Those are unrelated.  Whether what they're doing is right or wrong, smart or stupid, they're doing it boldly.

And you're not getting it.  Refs can say what they like:  you can't reason with them.  They won't listen.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »
Because they make a stink about it with whom?  And who would support them?  The other coaches, who love them so?

Of course not many other coaches have the balls to stand up to them. Other than maybe Kevin Jackson.
First off, I think you underestimate some of the coaches.  Second, you don't have to stand up to them in order not to support them.  To wield political influence, the Brands brothers would have to build consensus (which is funny even to think of), or maintain back-channel relationships with key people (which is beyond imagination).

Or just bully there way into getting what they want, which is ultimately what they would do.
Again, bully whom?  How do you think these decisions are being made?

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »
Please tell me no one here feels M* was not stalling. How many times can you back off the mat before its stalling? That match was brutal, and its all on the refs for allowing it. M* should have been force to wrestle, he deserved at least 3 calls in the 3rd alone. There would have been a riot if the roles were reversed and that was in Ia City.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline FiveWords

• DIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
Their awesome influence helped Beatty.

Cruo

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
Oklahoma State would have had to been called for stalling as well in the first two periods.  M* controlled the action there.  I'm pretty sure M* DID get called when he WAS stalling.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
Bold is bold, whether or not you're acting like a dumbass.  Those are unrelated.  Whether what they're doing is right or wrong, smart or stupid, they're doing it boldly.

And you're not getting it.  Refs can say what they like:  you can't reason with them.  They won't listen.

Well, if they are still getting out of hand, ding them a team point. Hell, toss them from a tournament or dual. Refs have that power when a coach constantly gets out of hand. Why is it, that in our sport, the Brandsi are allowed to act in this manner without fear of losing a team point or being tossed? I say toss them a few times and they'll get the hint. If they don't, then they can continue to watch from the bleachers.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
Quote from: "FiveWords"

Exactly.  I wish you'd make an account where you can post as many words as you'd like.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
Quote from: "drmuscle"
Please tell me no one here feels M* was not stalling. How many times can you back off the mat before its stalling? That match was brutal, and its all on the refs for allowing it. M* should have been force to wrestle, he deserved at least 3 calls in the 3rd alone. There would have been a riot if the roles were reversed and that was in Ia City.

DING DING DING  Finally a voice of inbiased reason.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Quote from: "nywrestler4life"

Exactly.  I wish you'd make an account where you can post as many words as you'd like.

Please explain how that happened? Are they now Gods? Did they will the win to happen by jumping up and down like monkeys?

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »
Quote from: "Cruo"
Oklahoma State would have had to been called for stalling as well in the first two periods.  M* controlled the action there.  I'm pretty sure M* DID get called when he WAS stalling.

Should have been the 3rd call not the 1st. If your going to let a guy stall that much, and give a meaningless warning in the waining moments, you may as well not even bother.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Quote from: "nywrestler4life"

Please explain how that happened? Are they now Gods? Did they will the win to happen by jumping up and down like monkeys?

He's saying their great influence couldn't get Beatty a call to win the match.  But its good enough to keep refs out of the NCAAs?

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
you know during the year there were other incidents where non Iowa coaches were acting out, but no one had anything to say about that...it's ONLY Iowa.

and again Meade was only PUSHING M* not taking shots until the last 30 seconds.  You guys get all pissed off when Dennis shoves guys all over the mat and Iowa people are upset he doesn't get the stall call awareded...get over it
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Cruo

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:28 PM »
Rock, how come you expect wrestling coaches to sit on their hands in the corner, given the nature of the sport, even though it is okay for coaches in every single other sport to scream and yell at the ref and jump up and down while running along the sidelines?

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:03 PM »
Quote from: "brycemus"
you know during the year there were other incidents where non Iowa coaches were acting out, but no one had anything to say about that...it's ONLY Iowa.

and again Meade was only PUSHING M* not taking shots until the last 30 seconds.  You guys get all pissed off when Dennis shoves guys all over the mat and Iowa people are upset he doesn't get the stall call awareded...get over it

Its not only Iowa. Its just that they are consistantly the worst offenders.

Meade took several shots and all M* did was move backwards. Sorry Iowa folks, that's stalling.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »

Well, if they are still getting out of hand, ding them a team point. Hell, toss them from a tournament or dual. Refs have that power when a coach constantly gets out of hand. Why is it, that in our sport, the Brandsi are allowed to act in this manner without fear of losing a team point or being tossed? I say toss them a few times and they'll get the hint. If they don't, then they can continue to watch from the bleachers.
You're right in this, but you're wrong about the larger point:  this isn't specific to the Brands brothers.  The refs aren't willing to throw coaches out of the NCAA tournament.  And they don't take team points for coaches' behavior, that I can recall.  But another coach could act the same way (if he actually had the temperament to act that way), and get away with it.  And there's no special political influence at work here.