Author Topic: CBS Sports Coverage of Day 1  (Read 2978 times)

RYou

CBS Sports Coverage of Day 1
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:23:44 AM »
P Poor - they hang on to a dull bout while screaming over what's going on at another mat. They hang onto a 12-2 romp while another is into OT.

I liked it better last year where 4 cameras were active and you could pick your bout.

Offline Old-N-Slow

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: CBS Sports Coverage of Day 1
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
I'm glad they are covering it. They should try to get some footage of #1 seeds and returning champ more often though.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
I am stuck in my office...I was happy to get what I could!
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »
RYou,
Because we didn't actually control the cameras, we started on one bout and didn't have the "quick jump" ability to go from mat to mat to mat to mat. ESPN360 had the pick your mat format, not CBS/NCAA.com. The CBS/NCAA.com was one publishing point, so rotating things (this was also on the scoreboard) was not as simple as one might think.

ESPN put a bunch of resources into their 360 stuff, but day one still was on the NCAA/WebStream Productions angle. We had the same issue at Division II's. The reason we kept talking about every other bout was the time it took to jump from one mat to another was approximately 30 seconds. I'd tell the tech, the tech would relay it to the camera guy and then we'd wait ... and we'd wait. I tried to get the best matches per what was on the mat at that moment. Because there are graphics and things used with the webcast, I wasn't going to bust the producer's balls by switching up mats every 30 seconds, because it does take time to get those graphics set to go.

The difference is resources. We had two broadcasters, one producer, with a line to the in-house cameras. The reason we didn't focus on the #1 and #2 guys heavily was because quite frankly, how many of them were quality matchups? Santaite's upset happened with a late takedown while we were watching a tight match at 125.

Ideally, yes, you're right, we could pick the mats we want to watch. ESPN360 provided that on the later days. This is the first time the NCAA has even attempted to cover Day One with the webcast. Working with the same producer the last three weeks made the transitions more seamless, but ideally, not every match I wanted to get on there, got on there. It's also a scenario where you're dealing with professional camera ops, none of whom know anything about wrestling, so when we tell them to get to a mat, they have to figure out where they're at, then go, then get the shot in focus, etc. Takes about 30 seconds.

I think it was a bit rocky the first session, then the second session seemed to work itself out in the meantime. Because we knew there was only one match available to be viewed at a time, we tried to get the best matchup. Sometimes things went too quickly and the production team wanted to stick with one mat until completion. Kyle and I were not the producers, merely the one suggesting the action.

If they do this next year, I'd be recommending at least two feeds, four mats on one, four on the other, but then again, what feed is beamed through the big screens in the arena.

Learned lots of things this weekend. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to learn from going through the process at Division I for the first time.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
It was below average coverage at best.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »
It's not becoming of me or my company to respond to Mr. Rockwell. I will say this ... If he would like to offer constructive criticism, we will listen. He has a chip on his shoulder and is angry about being banned as a constant troll on themat.com. These are facts and that's all I'll say on the topic.

But considering "average" in the past has been no coverage on day one, I'd like to see how "below average" is applicable in this case.

Regards,
JB
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:20:53 PM by Jason Bryant »

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:50 PM »
There were only two coverage even worth mentioning, espn and TOM. Everyone else was below average. I want to watch wrestling, not listen to two dudes babbling whatever random thought that pops into their head. After about five mins, I just turned the volume off. Others watching with me agreed.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"
There were only two coverage even worth mentioning, espn and TOM. Everyone else was below average. I want to watch wrestling, not listen to two dudes babbling whatever random thought that pops into their head. After about five mins, I just turned the volume off. Others watching with me agreed.

Hey, that's just fine with me. Not everyone's going to like me, I get that. It's all about preference. I don't personally like listening to Brent Mustberger, but I love listening to Verne Lundquist.

"Two dudes babbling" ... let's be honest Mr. Rockwell, you know that isn't the case, but if you only listened for five minutes of the nine hours we were on, and that's all you heard, you missed some great wrestling calls.

Kyle was talking about great ways to stir fry onions around the time Jon Reader was beat, so we totally missed that one. But then there was the point where the Northern Colorado kid won two matches early over seeded guys, but we were too busy talking about the nuances of the infield fly rule. We did take an entire segment to discuss Joe Mauer's upcoming contract with the Minnesota Twins. We actually got a lot of good feedback on that one.

I mean, great wrestling calls all the way around. But then again, we're just two dudes babbling. I mean, how ever in the world would the NCAA want to have us?

... and to clarify ... if there are less than two outs, and there are runners on first and second or the bases are loaded ....

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
The fan experience this year was the best ever, I have never been as informed up to minute in past years as this. The feed was reliable and the video quality was pretty good for an Internet feed. The camera work was so much better than an college web cast that i have ever seen. Jason, your ability to make entertaining conversation for hours on end is as good as any professional could do. I was well informed by knowledgeable wrestlers, and professional quality announcers. The combination of resources was as much as I could possibly take in. Up to the min. live scoring, video coverage, and the interactive chat room all performed well, and exceeded my expectations.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
Doc you should get out more. Shotty coverage by CBS at best.

Everyone else did great.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
I think the CBS coverage was good (after the techincal issues that only last about 2 mins) Which I most likely drove JB nuts with.

I though JB and Kyle did a good job.

I would much prefer them to do the ESPN coverage then the crew they have now.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
Blatnick was a little better this year. Probably because there were so many others helping. The little quicinich(?) guy was annoying. Flowrestling did a great job of getting the behind the scenes interviews as usual. That's the stuff the fans want to see.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
The ESPN crew sucked. Johnson sounds like he isn't paying attention to the match half the time. Blatnick is just bad. The lead guy knew very little about wrestling. The sideline guy asked stupid questions. Would love to see Askren and Herbert more, they have actual knowledge and can convey it in an intelligent manner. I thought Leen sounded a little forced with some of his stuff, but even with that was way better than the regular crew. I guess you have to be happy that you are getting live coverage of the championships, but it would be nice to get a crew that can broadcast it properly.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
Quote from: "AKIN"
The ESPN crew sucked. Johnson sounds like he isn't paying attention to the match half the time. Blatnick is just bad. The lead guy knew very little about wrestling. The sideline guy asked stupid questions. Would love to see Askren and Herbert more, they have actual knowledge and can convey it in an intelligent manner. I thought Leen sounded a little forced with some of his stuff, but even with that was way better than the regular crew. I guess you have to be happy that you are getting live coverage of the championships, but it would be nice to get a crew that can broadcast it properly.

BRING US CHERTOW!!!

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"
Quote from: "AKIN"

BRING US CHERTOW!!!

He's as bad as Johnson and Blatnick.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.