Author Topic: I would like to congratulate VARNER!!  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
I would like to congratulate VARNER!!
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »
You appeared in 4 NCAA championship matches and managed to finally score one (1)! TD on your opponents.

That is freaking legendary.

You make Morningstar look like Lincoln McIlravy.
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to congratulate VARNER!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »
okay make that 2 at the end there big boy
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

sgallan

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
I guess that go, go, go style isn't the only way to win. Probably why he is a world class wrestler as well; he doesn't do dumb stuff because he thinks every match is about being aggressive and realizes there is more too it than that.

He does need a go to offense of some sort, but he has the rest of what he needs in place, including wrestling smart instead of 'just' aggressive.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:57:29 PM »
No credit for Brester being a quality wrestler that knows how to wrestle Varner and keep it close?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »
Brester was out of his league in the finals, IMO. Varner was on his 4th and Brester his first. Hard to overcome that experience.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline horatio

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »
Was Brester's 2nd finals appearance, a rematch of last year.

But yeah, Varner's in a different league.
"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
You're right. My bad. Still though, varners experience was too much to overcome even if the guy has absolutely no offense whatsoever.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:29 AM »
I was thinking about this today...

Varner was an  all-everything blue-chip recruit coming out of high school and he lived up to it

Brester was a farm-boy from Nowheresville Nebraska who got no schollie offers and had to walk on.

I just thought it was pretty neat how different their back story is and how their careers converged.

Congrats to both.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:19:50 AM »
Verner's comments...

“Craig’s a tough guy,” Varner said. “We’ve wrestled a lot. I guess that’s why not a lot happens. We know each other pretty well, but I just kept to my gameplan. I would have liked to score in that first period, but it didn’t happen. I got away as soon as I could like I wanted to and I scored that front headlock, and that was a big, key point in the match. That last takedown, I knew he had to come after me and I was ready for it, and I ended up with that last takedown.”

Jimmy, perhaps you could read this over a couple thousand times until you figure out what "class" means.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
Quote from: "sgallan"
I guess that go, go, go style isn't the only way to win. Probably why he is a world class wrestler as well; he doesn't do dumb stuff because he thinks every match is about being aggressive and realizes there is more too it than that.

He does need a go to offense of some sort, but he has the rest of what he needs in place, including wrestling smart instead of 'just' aggressive.

Fans want aggressive wrestling, and for the most part it has proven to be the main path to success. The current officiating style has rewarded the passive wrestler, and punished the fans. American wrestlers are not as aggressive as in the past, and it has shown in our international success. We are not as good from neutral, and it shows. Herbert, and Dlagnev are the most agresssive, and most successful. The current style has limited our wrestlers skills so much that we are ill equipped to beat the Russians as we once did.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

sgallan

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »
Actually with the rare exceptions the Russians (and wrestlers from that part of the world) have always beaten us by wrestling smarter than we do. They traditionally get a lead and then sit on it. If we happen to come back they will play a little possum and then hit another hard TD when it looked like they had nothing left. This and they can score and defend from the par terre positions and we - with the exception of Cejudo - do not do this very well. The reason they can do this is they work on something called "technique" instead of always just pushing the pace and coming forward. It is a very relaxed, and explosive style of wrestling.Varner has it but does need to come up with some sort of go to TD.

Offline FiveWords

• DIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
Quote from: "sgallan"

Wow, quite the wrangling strawman.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
One only needs to see how the Russians wrestle by looking at how The Russian wrestles. Straight legged, always in good position, good defense, etc. However, not unbeatable if coached right.

Offline Old Number Nine

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »
Did you hear in the Finals Breakdown during the break that if Varner had won the match without a takedown he would have been the first person to wrestle in four finals and not score a single takedown.  Maybe he was there as well and thought that would be a bad legacy.  I guess two takedowns in four finals isn't the best.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
So what did he win on last year?

This year Varner has gotten much better about scoring a lot of points.  OK, he didn't beat Brester by much, but it isn't like Brester is a scrub.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt