Author Topic: Oklahoma State - Post NCAA review and look ahead.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Oklahoma State - Post NCAA review and look ahead.
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
The saddest time of the year is upon us as there will be no more college wrestling until November.  The 3 days in Omaha were, as always, spectacular, but the Cowboys were something much less than that.  I'll go weight by weight in review of the tournament and then, after some overall remarks, I'll comment on what next year holds and what I'd like to see.  I may post a more general thread later about NCAAs, but for now I'll focus on the Cowboys.

125 - Chris Notte (0-2) - When I first heard Notte was going to make the cut I knew he would have difficulty, but I assumed he would figure it out and be a force.  It was clear, however, that the cut had taken its toll over the season.  He routinely got out scrambled and missed opportunities that he converted last season.  He got flat out beat twice and, though he didn't gas out, he just didn't have it at 125.

133 - Jordan Oliver (4th) - He was a high wire act at times and didn't destory lesser opponents like a wrestler of his caliber should, but as he has done all year, he picked up victories.  He pushed the eventual champ to the brink and his two losses were to outstanding seniors who have proven themselves to be as good as they come.  I was happy with his performance and I don't think you could ask for anything more than what we got from him this year.

141 - Jamal Parks (2-2) - I think we all knew that the 2 seed was too high for Jamal, but looking at the path he had in front of him, I don't think hopes for the finals was out of line.  However, the weakness in Parks game showed glaringly in his loss to Nauman and it was a little too fitting that Diaz ushered him out of the tournament in his next match.  Parks has the talent and, at times this year, he showed he is learning, but he still has a lot to fix to get where he could be.  

157 - Neil Erisman (1-2) - Officially he goes down as 1-2, but the win was a medical forfeit so on the mat he was 0-2.  His loss to Lister in the first round doesn't look nearly as bad post-tournament, but Erisman had his chances to win that match and set an embarassing trend of Cowboys getting ridden out that lasted all tournament long.  I expected more out of Neil this season, but he was pretty much the same guy all year that he was at the tournament.  He gave good effort, but he wasn't sharp and when he missed his chances, his opponents capitolized.

165 - Alex Meade (1-2) - I expected him to beat Morningstar, but even on one leg that it is a tough match.  That was the tournament for him as he was completely outclassed by Reader on the back (thanks to Jon for finding his usual form there only to crash out later).  I was encouraged to see Meade wrestling with a spark and giving a lot of effort as we haven't always seen late in the season.  It makes me think maybe he can stay at 165 next year and put it together.  He has all the talent.

174 - Mike Benefiel (2-2) - This one really surprised me.  He gave up over 3:00 RT to Patterson and somehow found a way to win the match (ridden out in the 2nd, Patterson took top in the 3rd and was riding tough until Mike caught a leg and got a reversal) and he hung tough against Henrich.  There was just no reason to think Mike wouldn't have one more win in him to garner AA honors.  He had nothing against Griffin, though.  

184 - Clayton Foster (6th) - If you had told me at the start of the year that Foster would beat Pucillo and Keddy in back to back matches at Nationals, I would have been thinking finalist or possibly champion.  Instead, Foster managed 2 wins in a 5 match run that was just insane (Cannon, Pucillo, Keddy, LeBlanc and Dergo).  It was obvious that he was out of gas by Saturday.  I don't know if his nose was broken, but it seemed like he took an insane amount of blood time all tournament for it.  I was so happy for him when he beat Pucillo and he showed his mettle against Keddy.  Overall a very good effort.

197 - Alan Gelogaev (7th) - When he beat Beatty, my opinion didn't change.  Yes, he got out (twice), but it was a high wire act where he got the break that won the match.  He wrestled well against Yohn, but I thought he'd be gone soon when he dropped that one.  How wrong I was!  He won matches in a variety of ways and very nearly pinned Lapotsky (some less diplomatic fans would insist that he was flat!).  He avenged his loss to Yohn and finished the tournament with 4 wins over seeded wrestlers.  His 7th place bout with Yohn was a classic as he raced out to an early lead, squandered it and then, needing an escape to win with :20 left, he got to his feet only to find Yohn with a body lock keeping him from his point.  Realizing the point would not be awarded, Z calmly deposited Yohn on his back for a 5 point move and the victory.  Way to go Z!

HWT - Jared Rosholt (2nd) - He was so solid all tournament, looking to be in complete control through every match up to the finals.  Zabriskie is his kryptonite and, though he has figured out how to beat him a few times recently, it just wasn't to be.  4-3-2 the last 3 years is nothing to be ashamed of, but I think we all expected a title or two out of Jared.  It was a sad way to cap the tournament and his career, but he deserves a lot of credit for the way he wrestled this year and throughout.

Overall (6th):  Losing because you don't have the horses is one thing, but that wasn't the case this year.  Watching the Cowboys drop match after match because they made mistakes or got ridden out just killed me.  Watching a ton of guys our wrestlers had beaten during the season place far higher at crunch time didn't sit well either.  Watching the Sooners step up and have a great effort that yielded a higher finish than our own added insult.  Obviously, I'm not in the room or around the program on a day to day basis so I'm not privy to all the information that the coaching staff has, but something needs to change.  There is no reason for this team to finish like they did and when the team displays consistent weaknesses across the majority of the weight classes, well, you've got to look to the leadership.  I don't see Branch or Cody coming back to be assistants anytime soon, but I've got to believe that John will at least consider bringing a new staff member in.

Looking ahead: 3 All-Americans returning is an improvement over the 1 we had coming into this season.  2 of those guys will be moving up a weight, I would guess (Oliver to 141 and Z to HWT).  There are some very talented freshman coming off redshirt that should factor in immediately and there should be some additional competition for starting jobs next season which is always a good thing in my mind.  The line-up I would personally like to see:

125 - Morrison
133 - Rupp
141 - Oliver
149 - ParksWhite
157 - ParksWhite
165 - Meade
174 - Benefiel
184 - Foster
197 - Perry
HWT - Z

Now, I don't know how big Parks is.  I believe he is cutting a lot of weight and there was some rumor that he was 18 pounds over before one match, but I have no way of knowing the accuracy of that rumor.  I want to see him go to 157 and have a gas tank because I think his style lends itself to pouring it on in the 3rd period.  Not really knowing how big he is and where Albert White sits, I'll just take the two of them covering 149 and 157.  Obviously, Erisman will be somewhere 157/165, but frankly, I think the ideal lineup talent wise has him as the odd man out.  Dallas Bailey and Zach White are around too and a few other guys will be in the mix at 125 and 133.  We also have another Rosholt at HWT that will try to knock Z out of the lineup.  What I DO NOT want to see is Oliver back at 133, Parks staying at 141 or any of our guys pulling a Notte and going down a weight.  I understand why it was necessary this year, but we have 2 guys down low that should be able to adequately handle the weights and be competitive, there is no need for next years team to cut that much.  Overall, with the team I listed above, we have 8 very good weights and the 2 guys down low could be there by the end of the year.  I really like Z's chances at HWT.  Its hard to look at that lineup and the overall talent in the room and see anything but another improvement next year, but thats not what the team, staff and fans are looking for.  Expectations will be high and they should be.  Another dissapointment would be a huge one.

Offline Old Number Nine

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma State - Post NCAA review and look ahead.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
In a post tournament interview Jordan stated that he wishes he would have handled his weight better but he would be back at 133 next year.  Sorry, I forgot where I read this but yesterday was a long day.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
Quote from: "Old Number Nine"
In a post tournament interview Jordan stated that he wishes he would have handled his weight better but he would be back at 133 next year.  Sorry, I forgot where I read this but yesterday was a long day.

Short of Parks staying down at 141 (which I also think is a bad idea), I don't see how that makes us a better team overall.  Still, if he is able to control his weight, all 3 guys that placed in front of him graduate so he would be the favorite.  Still, I don't like it.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:28:09 PM »
Oliver was the biggest disappointment of the tourney.  After all the hype watching Oliver stall out every match was the biggest snooze fest of all  time.  I hope this is not the future of wrestling.
Tax the churches.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
Can Perry beat Gelogaev???

If not, I think moving Z to 285 is a HUGE mistake. By moving him to 285 you make his biggest weakness (getting out from bottom) FAR worse.

Do you have any idea where Walker Clarke is headed by the way?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
Walker Clark was an All American for someone at a lower division this year I think.

At this point after hearing what all the coaches have gone through with Meade I hope he is gone, not just beat off the team but out of Payne county period.  He is very talented, but if he isn't willing to do the other things right, get rid of him.  He sounds like a cancer.

I don't think Jordan's weight was a problem this weekend, of course his inability to move people with his hands left him not doing much for the first period too.  I think he will be fine at 133 again if he starts getting it under control much earlier or not getting so big in the first place.

Jamal is a 'tweener to me.  Not big enough for 149 but on the big side for 141.  

I'm hoping for:

125:  Rupp
133:  Oliver
141:  Parks
149:  White
157:  Erisman
165:  Bailey
174:  Benefiel
184:  Perry
197:  Foster
285:  Gelogaev

I think we have two really good 184s who would both have a hard time putting on enough weight to be good sized 197s but Foster can do it better than Perry.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »
Quote from: "ViseGrip"
Can Perry beat Gelogaev???

If not, I think moving Z to 285 is a HUGE mistake. By moving him to 285 you make his biggest weakness (getting out from bottom) FAR worse.

Do you have any idea where Walker Clarke is headed by the way?

No idea on Clarke, but I don't follow that much.

I don't know if Perry can beat Gelogaev, but I think Z showed at NCAAs that he isn't as weak on bottom as many have thought.  He wasn't ridden by anyone except Lapotsky, who is excellent on top, and he scored a number of fast escapes.  I also think that not cutting weight will help him on bottom.  I think going to 285 is the best thing for him and the team.  There aren't that many 285s that are really good on top and though he will be a small one, he has wrestled 211 internationally well and will have a quickness advantage over nearly all of them (which will make his stand up darn near unstoppable, Beatty and Yohn couldn't stop it) and I think we'll see that he can launch the bigs just the same as he launched some people this season.  I don't see this being a bad move at all.  Obviously, only time will tell, but I like Z's chances at 285 a lot.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
Clarke just won the 197lb National Junior College Championship at Labette and didnt really have a close match doing so.

If you guys dont want him, I'd like to have him. LOL
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
Quote from: "Cicero"
Walker Clark was an All American for someone at a lower division this year I think.

At this point after hearing what all the coaches have gone through with Meade I hope he is gone, not just beat off the team but out of Payne county period.  He is very talented, but if he isn't willing to do the other things right, get rid of him.  He sounds like a cancer.

I don't think Jordan's weight was a problem this weekend, of course his inability to move people with his hands left him not doing much for the first period too.  I think he will be fine at 133 again if he starts getting it under control much earlier or not getting so big in the first place.

Jamal is a 'tweener to me.  Not big enough for 149 but on the big side for 141.  

I'm hoping for:

125:  Rupp
133:  Oliver
141:  Parks
149:  White
157:  Erisman
165:  Bailey
174:  Benefiel
184:  Perry
197:  Foster
285:  Gelogaev

I think we have two really good 184s who would both have a hard time putting on enough weight to be good sized 197s but Foster can do it better than Perry.

I hadn't heard anything about Meade, but that wouldn't surprise me.  I hope he gets his head right.

I find it very hard to believe that someone as tall and wiry as Oliver can stay down at 133 when it seemed to be clear that he had issues with it at certain times during the season.  Still, you're right that he didn't seem to struggle with conditioning at Nats so maybe he just finally figured it out.  I'd still prefer to see him get stronger and move up.  

The biggest thing that I hope the staff does is to make these decisions right now and not wait to see where people are next fall.  If Jamal is a tweener and can't handle 141 without the issues he had this year, tell him now to move up and send him to the weight room.  If Oliver is going to be 133, make sure you stay on him to do it right (and get McD's phone number because he obviously has this stuff down).

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
Quote from: "ViseGrip"
Clarke just won the 197lb National Junior College Championship at Labette and didnt really have a close match doing so.

If you guys dont want him, I'd like to have him. LOL

:)

I'm sure we'd like to have him, but I don't know where we'd put him next year.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »
excellent analysis OS

the mat wrestling (inanability to get out on bottom) was obvious and talking to JO after the tournament he said that would be a big ara of focus for him in the offseason.

he also indicated to me that he struggled with weight early because he didn't manage it properly and that he intends on being 33 again next year, but didn't rule out the possibility of 41.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...