Author Topic: Big 4?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline NellieNell125

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Big 4?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
Just a hunch, but I would think a school like Baylor would be more likely to add wrestling than any of those mentioned.  I am hopeful now that the state of tx has its first collegiate wrestling program that it will have somewhat of a domino affect.  I have always maintained that the state of tx is an untapped resource when it comes to wrestling.  

Also, I would think the Big 12 schools would join with the West Regional Teams and keep the Bigh 12 name.  But they would need to take them all so as not to leave anyone hanging out to dry.  Obviously, they wouldn't dual everyone in the same year, but I think it could work.  If Branch continues to build WY and Schwab turns around UNI.  AF always has a couple of tough wrestlers.  UVU could be tough if they keep some talent in state.  That could be a heck of a conference.  Who knows, but that's what I would like to see.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
I would certainly hope that one of those TX schools would add wrestling because like you said, I see it being like a domino effect. However, with the state of our sport, until it actually happens, I'm not holding my breath in anticipation that any of them will. Hope I'm proved wrong though.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"
Would you say the odds are more likely that college wrestling is dropped or added? May be nonsense but odds are the programs would be dropped before they decide to add anything at those other schools
Its a LOT of new money Rock. There may not be any new programs, but it might save a few.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »
Quote from: "ViseGrip"
Quote from: "Rockhard"
Would you say the odds are more likely that college wrestling is dropped or added? May be nonsense but odds are the programs would be dropped before they decide to add anything at those other schools
Its a LOT of new money Rock. There may not be any new programs, but it might save a few.

unless they are making millions for those schools like football is, they simply could care less about our needs or wants. I think we all know that. But like I said, as dumb as it sounds, odds are programs would be dropped before they are added. And to think any program is safe is just naive. People thought asu was untouchable.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:27:53 AM »
Quote from: "ctc"
From Big 5 to Big 4.  There has to be some kind of change in the conference championships.

Isn't this a description of Wesley Wes Wesley's career?

Offline Old Number Nine

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »
With the new qualifying criteria, aren’t the conference championships somewhat superfluous?  Whether there are ten schools, four or just two; isn’t it the individuals who qualify?