Author Topic: A perfect example of why I hate international rules.  (Read 2429 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
A perfect example of why I hate international rules.
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »
Jason Chamberlain vs Jordan Oliver
Period 1: Ends 0-0 in regulation, (no significant shots taken) Chamberlain wins the coin flop and gets the leg in the cinch and gets the TD and wins the period
Period 2: Oliver gets TD in regulation and wins the period
Period 3: Again ends 0-0 in regulation (only slightly more action than in the 1st) Chamberlain AGAIN wins the coin flip and gets the leg in the cinch and gets the TD AND the match.

Chamberlain makes NO serious shots in the match, gets lucky on 2 coin flips and wins the match. Jordan makes the ONLY legitimate shot of the match, gets the only REAL TD and looses.

At the very least, Oliver should have been given an equal opportunity by being given the 2nd cinch.

These kind of rules delegitimize honest scoring in particular and our sport in general.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline TylerDurden

• OW
    • View Profile
Re: A perfect example of why I hate international rules.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
I agree - it's not a good system.  All a guy has to do is hold on and get lucky.

There are several other examples, too.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
Careful, don't question the God's too much or the wrath of USAW will come down upon you.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
You guys complain to much, the 50 fans who paid watch sure seamed to enjoy it. FILA is run by geniuses, they incorporated wrestling and Texas Hold'em and developed the world greatest sport. If they added betting on the ball grab, our sport would rise to a new level.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

sgallan

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
When you get past the few thousand people who actually know anything about folkstyle at the collegiate wrestling...... all wrestling is boring, and in this country, at any level past HS, is a dying sport, where - save for a handful of programs, and the DI NCAA's - virtually nobody attends, nor understands, nor enjoys the sport. In other countries they fill the seats, and root passionately, and faloow the sport passionately, even with these so-called "bad" rules.

No matter to me though....... I figure a sport at war with itself is not much of a sport to support anymore, so I am out. Yeah no big deal - I am only one person. But in a dying sport how many truly passionate and involved fans, supporters (money and time), and coaches, for all aspects of the sport, can it afford lose?

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:59:23 AM »
Those foreigners really must have been going wild in the stands back in the 80's when match scores were much higher on average.

I always bring my hips to the party.

sgallan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »
Well I am not all that enthralled with the collegiate style of head for the edge of the mat, or reach under grab and ankle to get a stalemate, that is so common in high level folk. People who don't know the sport find that boring as well. Heck, if you check out how many people wrestled as a youth (600,000 a year or so), and then compare that with people in the seats of wrestling events, and the ratings (if you don't have a huge cable package wrestling is on once, maybe twice  a year), I think it is pretty safe to say even a lot of people who do know the sport don't find it all that entertaining.

Youth wrestling and HS is still fun to watch - on flo or you tube. I just follow the rest a little.

Offline A. Bundy

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »
I agree.  
The ball grab really bastardizes things.  The only guy that seems to have that on lock down in Brent Metcalf.
I like the pushout, though that can be left to judgement at times also.
What if they made it so that they flip a disk for the 1st period.  then in the second, the other guy get the leg clinch.  Then in the 3rd, if there was no score, they wrestle it out until there is a true legitimate score?
Or the person with the most cumulative points in the match gets the leg clinch in the 3rd???

I say make them earn that in the 3rd.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
Literally giving the match to one guy is no solution to deciding a tie. How about creating a true 50-50 scenario, or at least letting the guy giving up the leg take a better defensive position, and not scoring a TD once his but hits the mat. They score a TD in OT differently that during regulation. It makes no sense.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »
I think any of those ideas would be an improvement over the idiocy of what we have now.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »
The ball grab of today is similar to passivity of the old rules.  You don't do anything, you get penalized.  The only difference is that now it, neither guy does anything, they both get penalized by leaving it up to chance.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »
Quote from: "nywrestler4life"
The ball grab of today is similar to passivity of the old rules.  You don't do anything, you get penalized.  The only difference is that now it, neither guy does anything, they both get penalized by leaving it up to chance.

Both guys do not get penalized, only one does. The other is awarded a 90% chance of winning. This system encourages passivity. One point then stall, one period then stall. If your opponent is more desperate to score, then you need to do less.