Author Topic: Wrestling needs a 12 step program  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling needs a 12 step program
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
Is there some sort of ongoing fight or disagreement going on with our "leadership?"  With all those "leadership" groups you mentioned it seems to me that there are too many cooks in the kitchen.  If some of those leaders are bad leaders or cannot work well with others then a change should be made.

It would be nice to know the backstory that made you think there were some problems.  If we don't know the issues we cannot really come up with ideas to fix them.
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
Ron,

We wrote this for numerous reasons. I will list some if these, but it was not meant to be specific to any one group, leader etc... But rather to address "leadership" as a whole, what we can strive for, if it does not already exist. Also, in the past few months there has been great debate about 2 groups and anger over the loss of programs (no new news there really).

1. In the past year I have seen numerous comments made about state organization, and to be honest I was suprised at the number of people unhappy with state level leadership around the country.

2. There has been raging debate around the loss of programs and who ultimately needs to step up and who should assume what role etc...

3. There is a new group out there unhappy with current leadership in the sport.

4. What does it mean to be a leader?

5. The NCAA and the wrestling community have been at odds for sometime.

6. What should members of any group expect or demand?

These are some of the things I have noticed the past year that helped us write this.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline gg121and2

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »
V,

I've read this through 3 times and, as probably should be the case, I agree with some of the "12 steps" - but not all. You and your cohorts have obviously given this considerable thought.

My biggest concern is with Step 8 - "Leadership should remain forever non-professional...". In almost 30 years as a direct marketing consultant, I have helped many special interest non-profit groups raise money. These have included community centers, food banks, hospitals, youth organizations and - yes - wrestling. In only one case have I ever found such an organization that succeeded in its mission without professional (i.e. salaried) leadership. It's just too much to expect of someone to sacrifice all of the time and money necessary to successfully lead a large organization. The question that has to be answered by the organizations is, "how much professional staff is enough?"

My second concern is that your closing challenge isn't strong enough and you don't place enough emphasis on individual initiative. Too many members of our community need to get off of their butts (and away from their keyboards) and TAKE ACTION.

Jim Brown

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:09:04 PM »
Jim,

Thanks and this is the kind of input I was hoping to see.

I see your point with #8, but let me clarify the position some. I am not opposed to salaried positions; I am opposed to life long positions and top heavy salaried positions. How do we hold those people accountable? What are their goals and how are they measured? How should they be measured? Is having the same executive team for 20 years going to bring about fresh new ideas or will the status quo prevail? What is the process for the members to invoke change? Is that process readily available to the members?

I think you can see where I am going with that. I hope that clears things up some.

Also good point on my challenge not being strong enough, I thought the same after I published it.

Thanks Jim
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline JFS

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:43:45 PM »
12 step is for addicts.  Steps are way to simplistic for Org`s that have different missions, objectives, goals, and or responsibilities.  It sounded like a shrink trying to get everyone to get along.  Too many variables.---JFS

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
Quote from: "JFS"
12 step is for addicts.  Steps are way to simplistic for Org`s that have different missions, objectives, goals, and or responsibilities.  It sounded like a shrink trying to get everyone to get along.  Too many variables.---JFS

Well V did say right at the top that the article was half truth and half satire.
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »
Quote from: "Julio"
Quote from: "JFS"

Well V did say right at the top that the article was half truth and half satire.

This
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »
The 12 Steps of AA are often referred to as "How it works", meaning the program.

"Why it works" refers to the 12 traditions, and the 8th tradition applies to our internal business practices.

Tradition #8: Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional, but our
service centers may employ special workers.

Something to think about. :wink:
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.