Poll

Will the midterms be a referendum on Obama's first two years?

Yes
9 (64.3%)
No
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: The midterms  (Read 3741 times)

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: The midterms
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »
Of course they are/were. But the electorate is schizo (three straight wave elections), if things aren't good in two years the electorate will punish whoever they deem responsible. It won't be as easy to blame Obama and the Democrats next time around.

And let's hope they don't. In all fairness, I don't remember a President who spent more time blaming his predecessor than this one. I, for one, would like that pattern to stop. I think it is incredibly counter productive and don't want to hear it from either party.

I voted yes.  Midterm rubukes are always referendums on the sitting president.  Just like 1982 was a rebuke of Reagan and 1994 of Clinton.  2002.

But I take umbrage with your belief that Obama is alone in blaming his predecssor for the envionment he finds himself in. 

FDR and Democrats ran against the policies of Herbert Hoover for 3 elections.  Reagan ran iagainst the policies of Jimmy Carter in 1984. 

Here is his 1984 speech to the Republican Convention, most of it was about the conditions of the country in 1980 and how bad things deteriorated from 1977-1981.

http://www.4president.org/speeches/reagan1984convention.htm

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
Ah ac, you missed it again...
I don't remember a President who spent more time blaming his predecessor than this one.
"more time..." Obama hasn't gained the nick name "blamer in chief" for naught. I didn't say it had never happened before in Presidential history, I said he has made an art form out of it. He does himself no good. This is not an attack; it just is what it is. He needs to accept that he's the POTUS and that people are tired of the blame game. Get on with it and do the best you can. Go hard or go home, but for Pete's sake stop wanking about why everyone else is to blame for the mess we're in.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »
Ah ac, you missed it again...
I don't remember a President who spent more time blaming his predecessor than this one.
"more time..." Obama hasn't gained the nick name "blamer in chief" for naught. I didn't say it had never happened before in Presidential history, I said he has made an art form out of it. He does himself no good. This is not an attack; it just is what it is. He needs to accept that he's the POTUS and that people are tired of the blame game. Get on with it and do the best you can. Go hard or go home, but for Pete's sake stop wanking about why everyone else is to blame for the mess we're in.

I do get it, and I'm trying to tell you that your complaints have no merit.  Just because the Right Wing Noise Machine doesn't want to do the research to see that politically Presidents have run on the poor record of the predecessors for years.  Reagan's whole 1982 and 1984 Campaign was to no not let the Democrats back into power because they would reenact the policies of Jimmy Carter (of course it didn't hurt that the dumb Dems nominated Carter's VP in 1984).  But you should do a little research into other Presidents in bad economic times.

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
CNN asked a very similar question in their poll released eariler today.  They also have results for the same question asked in 1994 and 2006 when other Presidents have lost the majority in the House.  It turns out Obama is probably in better shape politically that Clinton was (Bush was in worse, but couldn't run again)

6. As you know, as a result of the election which was held earlier this month, the Republicans willcontrol the U.S. House of Representatives. Which one of these do you think is most responsible for the Republican victories in House races -- voter support for Republican programs, voter opposition to Democratic programs, or voter disapproval of President Obama's handling of his job as president?

(ASKED OF HALF SAMPLE. RESULTS BASED ON 508 INTERVIEWS IN VERSION B --
SAMPLING ERROR: +/- 4.5 PERCENTAGE POINTS.)
Nov. 11-14
Support for Republicans 14%
Opposition to Democrats 35%
Disapproval of Obama 44%
Other (vol.) 5%
No opinion 2%

FOR COMPARISON: TRENDS FROM 2006 AND 1994 CNN/OPINON RESEARCH CORPORATION TREND
As you know, as a result of the election which was held earlier this month, the Democrats will control Congress. Which one of these do you think is most responsible for the Democratic victories in Congress --voter support for Democratic programs, voter opposition to Republican programs, or voter disapproval of President Bush's handling of his job as president? (ASKED OF HALF SAMPLE)
Nov. 17-19 2006
Support for Democrats 13%
Opposition to Republicans 16%
Disapproval of Bush 63%
Other (vol.) 5%
No opinion 4%

CNN/TIME TREND

As you know, as a result of the election which was held earlier this month, the Republicans will control Congress. Which one of these do you think is most responsible for the Republican victories in Congress --voter support for Republican programs, voter opposition to Democratic programs, or voter disapproval of President Clinton's handling of his job as president? (ASKED OF HALF SAMPLE)

Nov. 9-10 1994
Support for Republicans 12%
Opposition to Democrats 24%
Disapproval of Clinton 50%
Other (vol.) 4%
No opinion 10%

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »
And another intersting phenomenon....

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president?

Approve 48%
Disapprove 50%
No Opinion 2%

But the next quesion isn't asked often enough, but is telling

2. (IF DISAPPROVE) Do you disapprove because you think his policies and actions since he became president have been too liberal, or because you think his policies and actions have not been liberal enough?

Approve (question 1) - 48%
Disapprove, too liberal -  38%
Disapprove, not liberal enough - 9%
Disapprove, unsure on Question 2 - 3%
No opinion - 2%

SO basically 48% approve and another 9% don't think he's liberal enough.  But who are those people going to vote for in 2012?  The Conservative republican nominee?  Not likely.  That's also why I laugh when I hear people talk about primary challenge foe Obama.  It turns out the actual Dem voters don't think Obama is too liberal, the ones that disapprove think he's being too conservative.  So the idea that Hillary Clinton would primary him and have a chance of succeeding is ludicrous.  The more likely challenge will be Dennis Kucinch or Bernie Sanders.