Author Topic:  (Read 14825 times)

Offline Ray Brinzer

  • Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
  • *****
  • Posts: 7622
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »
Quote from: "Julio"
All great points you've brought up.  Although most people are use to the "flat" look and feel of boards Nested does appear to have a lot of advantages.  I've never seen a wrestling board in this format, is there one?
Not that I'm aware... the only other wrestling board I have used is The Mat, which has always struck me as very primitive.

I've been using tech sites like Slashdot and Perlmonks for a very long time, though, and Usenet before that, so I have a bit of a different perspective on online fora.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray Brinzer »

Offline Julio

  • I Need More Hobbies
  • *****
  • Posts: 4068
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
Quote from: "Julio"
All great points you've brought up.  Although most people are use to the "flat" look and feel of boards Nested does appear to have a lot of advantages.  I've never seen a wrestling board in this format, is there one?
Not that I'm aware... the only other wrestling board I have used is The Mat, which has always struck me as very primitive.

I've been using tech sites like Slashdot and Perlmonks for a very long time, though, and Usenet before that, so I have a bit of a different perspective on online fora.
From what someone said it sounds like there could be a middle ground since there is forum software out there that allows you to switch back and forth between flat and nested depending on your preference, I think that'd be great.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Julio »
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline Ray Brinzer

  • Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
  • *****
  • Posts: 7622
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
Actually, this conversation is an interesting example; we're talking about the virtues of different discussion styles under the topic of "The Mat Forums Era".  This sort of migration is somewhat less likely with a threaded discussion (though it happens).

We might want to consider modeling the forum categories after the discussion which actually takes place, by the way.  "Politics" probably deserves its own [doHTML]<strike>sty</strike>[/doHTML] section.  Likewise a section for discussion of the forum itself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray Brinzer »

Offline Viratas

  • Get a Job
  • *
  • Posts: I am a geek!!
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 05:57:48 AM »
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
Actually, this conversation is an interesting example; we're talking about the virtues of different discussion styles under the topic of "The Mat Forums Era".  This sort of migration is somewhat less likely with a threaded discussion (though it happens).

We might want to consider modeling the forum categories after the discussion which actually takes place, by the way.  "Politics" probably deserves its own [doHTML]<strike>sty</strike>[/doHTML] section.  Likewise a section for discussion of the forum itself.
Thanks I will keep that in mind, our goal is to keep expanding as we go
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Ray Brinzer

  • Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
  • *****
  • Posts: 7622
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
I heard an interesting anecdote, once, about a man who founded a university.  He had the buildings put up, but didn't put any walkways in; just grass everywhere.  At the end of the first semester, he had sidewalks put in wherever there were dirt paths worn in the grass.

On the whole, I would be somewhat surprised to see this verified, at least with most of the details correct... but the story makes a good point.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Ray Brinzer »

Offline WatWest00

  • Junior High
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:53 PM »
I hate the mat.com.  It was sweet back in 2000, but 9 years later it snipped its balls completely off.  Somebody, please take me in...all I want to do is be able to provide useful information maybe 10% of the time, and enjoy the other 90% alcohol-induced posts from the night before the following morning when I am at work (granted, that probably deserved to be deleted).  Can that fly over here?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by WatWest00 »

Offline Viratas

  • Get a Job
  • *
  • Posts: I am a geek!!
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2009, 03:05:30 PM »
Welcome aboard good sir
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Rockhard

  • LXP
  • Get a Job
  • *
  • Posts: 21051
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
Quote from: "WatWest00"
I hate the mat.com.  It was sweet back in 2000, but 9 years later it snipped its balls completely off.  Somebody, please take me in...all I want to do is be able to provide useful information maybe 10% of the time, and enjoy the other 90% alcohol-induced posts from the night before the following morning when I am at work (granted, that probably deserved to be deleted).  Can that fly over here?
Damn near anything flies here. You'll fit in well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rockhard »
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."