Author Topic: Robin Reed: A Portrait of an Undefeatable Wrestler  (Read 15946 times)

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
Robin Reed: A Portrait of an Undefeatable Wrestler
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
Reed was the 1924 Olympic Champion at 134lbs that never tasted defeat at any time ever in his career against anyone of any size.  His feats are amazing and unmatched to this day by anyone, regardless of credentials. 

- pinned the entire ISU team while seeking a workout before the Olympics ( including the heavyweight )

- pinned every opponent in the Olympics

- routinely pinned every opponent in dual meets, while moving up 3 to 4 weight classes

- could pin every member of the USA Olympic team, including much heavier hall of famers

- won the Olympic regionals in 4 different weight classes, up to 191lbs

- In a bet, pinned the USA Olympic Heavyweight Gold Medalist 3 times in 15 minutes
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:53:23 PM by AnthonyMarston »
Ok, stop right there.........and I'll bring back the sun.

Offline Craig

• State Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Robin Reed: A Protrait of an Undefeatable Wrestler
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »
A Robin Reed banner hangs proudly in Gill Coliseum, home of the OSU Beavers

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
Re: Robin Reed: A Portrait of an Undefeatable Wrestler
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:37 PM »
Great photo, Craig.  I see Mr. Gutches right next to him.  Would be interesting to see those two tangle.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
I understand they also had a Marston banner but Chuck Norris stole it to hang in his living room.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
I am on the right side of Gutches - my nickname was "Carol" in college.  And yes, I did get picked on a lot.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
A lot of history in Gill Coliseum. Their new wrestling room is pretty impressive too. Dale Thomas, love him or hate him, made OR wrestling important in our state.

Still one of the best interviews about OR wrestling and Dale Thomas.

http://techniquewave.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235381-oregon-state-university/194015-russo-on-dale-thomas
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Johnnythompsonnum1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:33:50 AM »
I once asked Mike Chapman who he thought was the greatest wrestler that ever lived.  His answer, "Who do you think was the greatest wrestler to ever live?"

I in turn thought a moment and answered, "Robin Reed"

He said not a bad pick, but that Reed lived in a time when competition wasn't as fierce. 

You know I often wonder just how true that is.   I mean would All Americans from the 1930's and 40's contend with All American's from the 60's and 70's?  Would guys who dominated the field in the 70's and 80's be able to dominate the fields of today?

His final answer on the greatest of all time he never did give me.  He just named off a couple of great wrestlers, most of which weren't Americans.

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »
Hey Johnny!  Good stuff with Chapman. 

I would say that all the great Hall of Famers from years ago still had some losses and close matches in their careers, but dominanted their foes quite handily 99 times out of 100.

Now take Reed who could beat ANYONE regardless of size.  I think in his case, Chapman was off.  The only ding people can give Reed is that "it was years ago".  If they come up with just ONE MORE excuse against him, then I'll listen.   :)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »

I would say that all the great Hall of Famers from years ago still had some losses and close matches in their careers, but dominanted their foes quite handily 99 times out of 100.

Now take Reed who could beat ANYONE regardless of size.  I think in his case, Chapman was off.  The only ding people can give Reed is that "it was years ago".  If they come up with just ONE MORE excuse against him, then I'll listen.   :)
The quality and quantity of his competition is hardly an irrelevant issue Anthony.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
A lot of history in Gill Coliseum. Their new wrestling room is pretty impressive too. Dale Thomas, love him or hate him, made OR wrestling important in our state.

Still one of the best interviews about OR wrestling and Dale Thomas.

http://techniquewave.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235381-oregon-state-university/194015-russo-on-dale-thomas

Thanks for finding this - good stuff!

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »

The quality and quantity of his competition is hardly an irrelevant issue Anthony.

True. 

However, he routinely pinned Hall of Famers that were much, much heavier. Even with less opponents, at some time everyone at some point incures a loss.  Not Reed.

Surely, it isn't his fault that he ran out of opponents and that he is less talented because of this.  His talent is somehow negated because he ran out of opponents???

It is speculative that given a million more matches, he would have lost at some point.  What isn't speculative is the manner in which he disposed of what was put in front of him.  Horrifyingly lopsided were all the matches. 

Russel Vis and Guy Lockabough are both in the Hall of Fame and take PERSONAL offense to saying Reed didn't have much quality opposition. THEY were some of his quality opposition.   

Or something.   :)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

True. 

However, he routinely pinned Hall of Famers that were much, much heavier. Even with less opponents, at some time everyone at some point incures a loss.  Not Reed.

Surely, it isn't his fault that he ran out of opponents and that he is less talented because of this.  His talent is somehow negated because he ran out of opponents???

It is speculative that given a million more matches, he would have lost at some point.  What isn't speculative is the manner in which he disposed of what was put in front of him.  Horrifyingly lopsided were all the matches. 

Russel Vis and Guy Lockabough are both in the Hall of Fame and take PERSONAL offense to saying Reed didn't have much quality opposition. THEY were some of his quality opposition.   

Or something.   :)

How's this? Against his competition he was the most dominating American wrestler of all time.

Offline AnthonyMarston

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
That is accurate.  It almost seems dismissive to leave it at just that, though.  A reasonable case with pointed examples could be still made that he was easily the greatest of all time. 

Take the legendary Cliff Keen who said cira 1974 that "after watching nearly every wrestler from the past 50 yrs" that Reed was the best of all of them.  This includes him witnessing the Gable era, too.  That is a huge statement from a titanic icon in the sport of wrestling to unabiasely state Reed was better than all others. 

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »
That is accurate.  It almost seems dismissive to leave it at just that, though.  A reasonable case with pointed examples could be still made that he was easily the greatest of all time. 

Take the legendary Cliff Keen who said cira 1974 that "after watching nearly every wrestler from the past 50 yrs" that Reed was the best of all of them.  This includes him witnessing the Gable era, too.  That is a huge statement from a titanic icon in the sport of wrestling to unabiasely state Reed was better than all others.
What he did NOT say was "If Gable and Reed wrestled today, Red would win".

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
I think I know why you are so adamant about the prowess of Reed, Marston.

It all goes back to your very first match, doesnt it! That sole blemish on your otherwise spotless record that you thought went unnoticed. You thought you could hide it... that no one would discover your defeat. Well I FOUND it and now I'm OUTING you to the world!

Here it is... the long lost video of the Reed vs Marston match where MARSTON LOSES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvds8n-Rex8&feature=related

Now dont feel bad Anthony, most wrestlers lose their first matches, especially against the likes of the Legendary ROBIN REED!