Author Topic: 1 point or 2?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
1 point or 2?
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
A shoots a double leg on B and B applies a figure 4 to the head of A.  Action continues because A appears as though he may still get the takedown.  The figure 4 slides down into a leg scissors, which is an illegal hold, so the referee stops the match.  How many points does A get? 
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 1 point or 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17:23 AM »
It should be 1pt TV which you were delaying to see if the takedown was secured, and then 1pt Illegal hold and they start back neutral.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
It should be 1pt TV which you were delaying to see if the takedown was secured, and then 1pt Illegal hold and they start back neutral.

Somewhat similar to a double locked hands, but that is two separate infractions.  Here you have a tech violation transforming into an illegal hold, which could be interpreted by some as one occurrence.  Per the rules, I agree with you, but 1 pt. makes more "sense" to me and that is why I asked.  Thanks. 
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
I bet you would get different answers as to how someone would actually call it depending on who you talked to. I agree that you could call just the 1pt illegal and might not get much grief from most coaches, but there are some coaches out there that will want both calls. Another thing you have to look at is whether the action of A causes the hold to become Illegal. If so, then you just have the 1pt TV and restart neutral.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
Two separate infractions here.  A TV and an illegal hold. 2 points and the wrestler in now deep into the penalty chart.

I will say, you can avoid some of these second penalties off the delayed call by blowing the whistle sooner.  A lot of officials signal the TV and wait 20 seconds or so for something to develop.  When you see the TV there is either some sort of scoring maneuver in process or there is not.  If there is not, the whistle shall be blown immediately.  This is how the myth of a free move came to be.