Author Topic: UNO dropping wrestling  (Read 16364 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
UNO dropping wrestling
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
and some other sport too

Unbelievable.  Is any wrestling program safe?
http://omaha.com/article/20110313/NEWS01/703139891#uno-will-move-to-division-i-drop-football-and-wrestling
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: UNO dropping wrestling
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
Wow all I can say really.

Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »
[Athletic Director] Alberts, a former All-American football player at the University of Nebraska, said the decision to drop football was particularly difficult. [Chancellor] Christensen, a former college wrestler, said the prospect of cutting any sport is personally painful, and the furor sure to ensue won't be fun.

Let's hope it isn't.

But Christensen said that when he looked at the results of a nearly yearlong study produced by Alberts and a group of community business leaders looking at future athletic finances, it was obvious what the right call was.

The status quo — UNO's hockey program competing at the Division I level while other sports compete at Division II — is not working financially, Christensen and Alberts said.
The school has been making up for athletic budget shortfalls with increased infusions of state dollars and student fee support. Such subsidies for athletics have grown from $1.5 million to $5.3 million over the past 15 years, Alberts said, and cannot continue unchecked.

While wrestling is arguably the Maverick sport best equipped right now to compete on a Division I level, Alberts said it would be dropped under the plan to align the athletic department's offerings more closely with that of the Summit League. As part of that goal, UNO would add men's teams in soccer and golf.

Certainly they have a responsibility to keep the budget under control.  Whether this is the right call is another matter.  If they're able to add two sports to better align with the new league, it would seem that funding wrestling isn't actually the problem.  (Funding football is a very different issue.)  They couldn't keep wrestling, put it in a different conference, and decline to add men's soccer?  Or keep wrestling DII?

Alberts said there is some urgency to act. A moratorium the NCAA put on schools jumping to Division I is expiring June 1. Any schools that want to move up must first be invited by a conference. The Summit is seeking to fill an opening for 2012 created by Southern Utah's move to the Big Sky Conference. Alberts said if UNO does not take the bid, some other school will. “I have this incredible opportunity that may not come again,'' Alberts said.

This likely explains the abrupt announcement, and the need for very quick response.  I need to head to a clinic, so I can't look at this further.

Offline gg121and2

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
Fuhr - maybe 10 are really safe.

Once again we , the wrestling community, are blind-sided by this kind of an announcement. I know that this one stuns me. We'll probably react the way that we usually do and mount a feverish effort to revive a program after it is pronounced dead - and we might succeed. Or not. If we really love this sport, we need to be selling it all the time - and not just to each other. I suspect that the average Nebraska tax payer applauds this as wise budget-cutting (you know - any budget cutting that doesn't impact me, personally). Too often I sense that our arguments on behalf of wrestling are based on a sense of entitlement - "We've had wrestling for 2,500 years, so we should always have it. I shouldn't have to fight for it or promote it." As Gable says, "America needs wrestling." Why? We need toughness, resiliency and tenacity. We need student athletes to walk off the mat and be our tough leaders, our resilient business people and our tenacious scientists.

We need to show America that this is the value of wrestling

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
Key question for both the school and the conference:  is the invitation contingent upon adding soccer or golf?

Offline gesgano

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
Unbelievable.  I guess no program is safe.  One of our "own" doing it to us, too.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »
We haev been on the phone all morning, Will have an article out today or tomorrow. Waiting for speak with more people.

The budget arguement (for wrestling not football) is total BS IMO. I say that based on some of the talks we have already had.

Some key things.

1. Nobody including the coaching staff, wrestlers or NWCA knew about this until last night.
2. All wrestling scholarships are self funded.
3. Wrestlers were told in the middle of the night last night (Alberts and his staff are serious jerks for this)
4. A meeting is being held tonight with many people coming into town.
5. This is not a done deal yet.

To answer rays question: Yes it is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:52:26 AM by Viratas »
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
The fact that this is NOT about money,that NDSU and SDSU both compete in the summit and have football and wrestling programs, and the DB Trev asked if wrestling was a club sport at UNO when he got the job,  leads me to believe he personally doesn't care about wrestling and just be easier to see it go away.

I'll go real tin foil hat on it and say he dropped wrestling and football together thinking the outcry over football would be so great that the wrestling wouldn't get much attention paid to it.

Regardless Trev Alberts is a pile of shit waste of space.  To do this via phone during a teams NC celebration tells you a TON about the man.   
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

crablegs

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »
Disgusting move by the AD. 

I wonder how much of the 5.3$ in subsidies go to the wrestling program?  Probably not much, as far as I remember UNO has a endowment fund that pays for a lot of their expenses.  Like the scholarships mentioned earlier.  Any info into this. 

Hopefully there is a big fight from UNO alum on this issue.  As the article mentioned the wrestling team would likely be the most successful right away in D1.  I'm sure the WWC would love to have them.     

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
The 5.3 Million is the exact same its costing to do the Hockey arena.

The more info I get the more he is flat out not telling people the truth we all need to hammer this issue.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
Lead the way V.  If I lived closer to Omaha I'd go to the rally tonight.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
We will do our best Ray and I have been on the phone all morning.

Long list of questions have been sent to the SID who did get back to me. If Alberts answers them is yet to be seen.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline herbp

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
We will do our best Ray and I have been on the phone all morning.

Long list of questions have been sent to the SID who did get back to me. If Alberts answers them is yet to be seen.
VIRATAS,
 30 years ago I wrote a paper for my HPER(health,physical education and recreation) minor entitled TITLE IX and the death of male athletics. I predicted the death of all non revenue sports and ALL sports which did not allow gambling.I no longer have said paper as this was pre-PC days so you will have to trust me and the validity of my research. Some of my findings were rather startling to a 20 year old !! Gambling ( the mob) supports, (monetarily) nearly every televised sport and high revenue sports.
 I will not bore you with details which have since come to light over the last 3 decades and are now common knowledge . Within 3 years of the implementation of TITLE IX successful gymnastics , wrestling and baseball teams were being cut.Meanwhile , the IU woman's basketball team could not draw attendance to pay for the cost of printing tickets so students got in free.Today we have 3x state wrestling champions sitting at home while the TITLE IX police are pulling girls out of sociology classes to fill a quota for  field hockey.
 Back then I thought I had a few  answers-but schools have tried them and been shot down by the supreme court-so unless someone builds a time machine and goes back and nips TITLE IX in the bud-I have no answers-save stand your ground and die on your feet fighting.
You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.
N.Gaimann

Hardcore

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »
Sickening news. They could go Big 12 in wrestling with little effort. I watched the DII finals last night and UNO has some quality wrestlers that could make the transition. This is not just a flesh wound. This is another nail in the coffin if it is allowed to happen. Nothing but a money grab for orange ball money.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
Sickening news. They could go Big 12 in wrestling with little effort. I watched the DII finals last night and UNO has some quality wrestlers that could make the transition. This is not just a flesh wound. This is another nail in the coffin if it is allowed to happen. Nothing but a money grab for orange ball money.

That's just it.  They can do the money grab and NOT eliminate wrestling.  NDSU and SDSU are both in the summit conference and continue wrestling.  By Sesker's account of the situation UNO is mostly self-funded.  This screams of Trev not liking the sport and just wanting to get rid of it.  One less thing to worry about.

To do this over the phone during their championship celebration tells you what kind of AD Trev is.  If he truly supported UNO athletics he would have been there watching his team win their third championship counting down the seconds until he could kill it and spit on it's grave.