Author Topic: UNO dropping wrestling  (Read 16363 times)

Offline wrestej

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Re: UNO dropping wrestling
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
WTF!!!!!!  Unbelieveable, this sh!t is getting old!  Drop a program that stands for everything you would want one to stand for, that's smart!

Offline sine mora

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 02:38:28 PM »
 >:(

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
so you're telling me golf and/or soccer is/are less expensive than wrestling? really?

thats the bottom line. any other discussion is tangential.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

crablegs

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
so you're telling me golf and/or soccer is/are less expensive than wrestling? really?

thats the bottom line. any other discussion is tangential.
Agree, especially when wrestling at UNO is so well financed.  But you are forgetting that the summit is requiring that they add those teams. 

I think we are really coming to a point where post high school athletics needs to be separated from the university system.  I don't think the rest of the world has a system like this.  As much as I love wrestling, and college athletics in general, the sole purpose of college should be to get an education.  I really struggle with seeing tuition increases to students to pay for athletics. 

Offline deano

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
Some key things to remember here
1. UNO wrestling is self funded so this is not about money, rather than doucher Trev hating wrestling.
2. UNO should take a long look at USC (University of Southern Colorado) they were a DII power then the powers that be cut the program.  Thusly, attendence dropped drastically, now they have opened a new school CSU-Pueblo and have reinstated wrestling.  This very well could be the same path that UNO will face. 
3. Trev Alberts is a horrible human being, to call someone in the dark of night, while his team is celebrating a THIRD straight national championship is not only unethical, but immoral as well.  Being from Nebraska and keeping up with the state, it is well known that Alberts wants Tom Osborne's AD job when he retires, if this is what our state school system has to look forward to count me as one who will no longer support any Nebraska University, be it UNK UNO or UNL....but for now go skers.........
Alberts needs to be thrown out on the streets, what a waste of sperm.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes sh

Offline deano

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
and I can tell you that the average Nebraskan tax payer is NOT applauding this move as wise budget cutting......but rather a sickening disgrace........ I just puked in my mouth
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes sh

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
This is a link to ESPN’s ‘Outside the Lines’ just fill in the form and say — “Nebraska-Omaha drops wrestling” Elaborate if you wish, but just do it, it will take less than a minute

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=1550773
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Hardcore

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
Done with an outline of the story. I hope that they run with it.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
I'm sure there are posters who can actually photoshop things.

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
It always amazes me how the wrestling community is always caught off guard when these decisions are made.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »
It always amazes me how the wrestling community is always caught off guard when these decisions are made.

Normally I'm not BUT how can you not be with a team coming off 3 straight national titles?
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

In this case, it's apparently because they wanted to catch people off-guard, probably with the hope of cutting the deal quickly..  The UNO coach didn't know until late last night, and had to call a 1AM meeting of the team.  Today the locks had already been changed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:51:31 PM by Ray Brinzer »

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 08:51:56 PM »

Normally I'm not BUT how can you not be with a team coming off 3 straight national titles?
This is like if Cal State-Fullerton were to drop baseball, if Pepperdine were to drop men's tennis, or if Auburn were to drop men's swimming and diving.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

In this case, it's apparently because they wanted to catch people off-guard, probably with the hope of cutting the deal quickly..  The UNO coach didn't know until late last night, and had to call a 1AM meeting of the team.  Today the locks had already been changed.

The locks have been physically changed?
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline BlackGold

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
The difference between alberts and a bucket of crap, the bucket.