Author Topic: UNO dropping wrestling  (Read 16365 times)

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: UNO dropping wrestling
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
It always amazes me how the wrestling community is always caught off guard when these decisions are made.

In this case, it's apparently because they wanted to catch people off-guard, probably with the hope of cutting the deal quickly..  The UNO coach didn't know until late last night, and had to call a 1AM meeting of the team.  Today the locks had already been changed.

The locks have been physically changed?
Yes, and security was there.

http://wrestlingreport.com/current_news/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27814

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »
so you're telling me golf and/or soccer is/are less expensive than wrestling? really?

thats the bottom line. any other discussion is tangential.
Agree, especially when wrestling at UNO is so well financed.  But you are forgetting that the summit is requiring that they add those teams. 

I think we are really coming to a point where post high school athletics needs to be separated from the university system.  I don't think the rest of the world has a system like this.  As much as I love wrestling, and college athletics in general, the sole purpose of college should be to get an education.  I really struggle with seeing tuition increases to students to pay for athletics.

thats true, crab. i forgot about that. which means that it's a title 9 issue. because if the wrestling program is self-funded, it's like a free sport to the university.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:03:26 PM by The Du »
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
so you're telling me golf and/or soccer is/are less expensive than wrestling? really?

thats the bottom line. any other discussion is tangential.
Agree, especially when wrestling at UNO is so well financed.  But you are forgetting that the summit is requiring that they add those teams. 

I think we are really coming to a point where post high school athletics needs to be separated from the university system.  I don't think the rest of the world has a system like this.  As much as I love wrestling, and college athletics in general, the sole purpose of college should be to get an education.  I really struggle with seeing tuition increases to students to pay for athletics.

thats true, crab. i forgot about that. which means that it's a title 9 issue. because if the wrestling program is self-funded, it's like a free sport to the university.

Help me out.  If they were title IX compliant before today then how does adding mens and womens soccer and golf change that?  And if football is eliminated does that not free up a ton of Title IX issues?
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 12:58:34 AM »
i don't know exactly how the #s work for title ix, but you make a good point.

but if it's not $$, and it's not title 9, what's the issue?
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Cruo

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »

Exactly.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 02:17:54 AM »
Just hit me like a ton of bricks. While adding golf is a Summit League issue, adding men's soccer is an NCAA Division I issue. Dropping football would leave them without a men's fall sport, meaning they had to add something in the fall in order to make the move to Division I (Division I institutions are required to have a men's and a women's sport each season).

That being said, I'm not sure what the Title IX issue is. They use the interest prong of the three-prong test, meaning that the number of men's roster spots to women's roster spots, or scholarships, is absolutely irrelevant.

Truth be told, due to the difference between how scholarship numbers are counted in Division II and Division I, Mike Denney would probably have had to cut scholarship athletes to meet the 9.9 threshold (it's 9.0 in Division II), so I'm not sure where the budget issue is here either.

I'm at a loss to explain this one, and even if I could, the way it was gone about was completely classless.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »

Not positive but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Trev Alberts ego.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline wrestej

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
Think Trev Alberts is just a d!ck.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
Then we have people like this in our sport (this was posted on the Flo forum about the topic)

And USA Wrestling quietly applauds. Just one more step for them to completely destroy collegiate wrestling so they can funnel all the money into their business and force us to wrestle that garbage style called freestyle.

Any bets USAW admin don't lift a finger money wise to help these guys out.

Sad time in our sport when people make comments like this, rather than direct the ire where it belongs. But said poster posted as "Anonymous Coward" which is par for the course. I think we all have an idea who would make such brazenly idiotic comments at a time like this.

We support you Mike Denney and will be doing all we can to make sure the right thing is done!
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
From what I've heard, Albert's had it in for Denney. This seems similar to when UO dropped, when assistant AD Baumgartner, had it out for the UO coach after a personal confrontation. Add in that Albert's seems like the typical AD who is clueless about anything but the major money sports and an overall douchebag.

While most are shocked about this move, I am not. I've grown accustomed to seeing 4-5 programs being dropped every year, especially from the D1 ranks. Its a shame, but thats the worl we live in now. NCAA sports are about bringing in revenue, TV deals and screwing over any non-revenue sport.

While I hope this move is somehow reversed, we probably have a 1% chance that it will even be considered. Locks changed and security present already tells me this fight is already lost.

What this also shows us is that there is not one program safe from being dropped. Not one. Expect 4-5 more to be dropped by summers end.

Seems like only the NAIA gives a crap about wrestling now.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
how could you not be shocked by this?  this isn't Delaware State this is a POWERHOUSE.  I go off the grid for one guys weekend and this shit happens?  wow!

I will be firing off an email to the AD for all the good it will do me and I already did the OTL thing that V posted.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
Then we have people like this in our sport (this was posted on the Flo forum about the topic)

And USA Wrestling quietly applauds. Just one more step for them to completely destroy collegiate wrestling so they can funnel all the money into their business and force us to wrestle that garbage style called freestyle.

Any bets USAW admin don't lift a finger money wise to help these guys out.

Rock,

Please tell me this was not you.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
I'm not shocked because its wrestling. Wrestling programs get dropped all the time for stupid reasons, regardless if they are successful or not.

It'll be interesting how they compete when they go D1. One of Portland State's biggest mistakes was going D1. Now they suck at everything, when before they were pretty successful at D2.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »

Rock,

Please tell me this was not you.

Nope. IMO, we only have ourselves to blame for the demise of our sport.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »
I will be firing off an email to the AD for all the good it will do me and I already did the OTL thing that V posted.

This was posted by one of our more level headed posters down here:

We need people to reach out to the regents who vote on this. Here are their e-mail addresses:

tclare@nebraska.edu;hhawks@nebraska.edu;chassebrook@nebraska.edu;bwhitehouse@nebraska.edu;jmcclurg@nebraska.edu;kschroeder@nebraska.edu;bphares@nebraska.edu;rferlic@nebraska.edu;unkregent@unk.edu;unlregent@unl.edu;unmcregent@unmc.edu;unoregent@mail.unomaha.edu;johnchristensen@unomaha.edu

Copy and paste this into your e-mail and send them an e-mail like this:

To the Nebraska Board of Regents and Whom it May Concern:

I am writing you this letter on behalf of USA wrestling supporters. It is my understanding that, very soon, you will be asked to decide the fate of UNO's wrestling program. Please weigh the following factors before making your decision:

1) The success of the Maverick wrestling program is undeniable. Six NCAA Championships in the last eight years, eight championships in all, countless All-Americans and Academic All-Americans. Their service to the community has included working and feeding the homeless, visiting patients in local hospitals, delivering drug-free and alcohol-free messages to schools, and hosting countless tournaments for youth wrestling programs in the community. The program reflects positively on the sport of wrestling and shines a positive light on UNO.

2) Alumni from the UNO wrestling program include doctors, attorneys, teachers, college coaches, Olympians, and many other success stories too numerous to count. What's more amazing is that UNO has done all of this on the same 21,000 dollar budget that he has had since 1979. The team works year round to fundraise thousands of dollars to ease UNO's financial burden--how many other programs are doing this? UNO's program is a model program for others to follow.

3) Other programs in the new Summit League compete in wrestling. Both South Dakota State and North Dakota State compete outside of their conference, why is this not a viable option for UNO? Boise State competes in wrestling in the PAC-10, as another example.

4) The decisions that are made and the actions that are taken at UNO will have a ripple effect in not only college wrestling but other sports as well. If a eight time national championship team that essentially funds itself is not safe from budget cuts, who is and where does it stop? Is one program that much more important than the others?

Please consider this decision carefully. UNO Wrestling students, fans, and alumni have contributed to both the school and the State of Nebraska for the last three decades. Despite what AD Alberts and Chancellor Christiansen (employed by tax-payers) have decided, cutting this program out UNO's curriculum benefits no one.

Sincerely,
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.