Author Topic: A rational Republican?  (Read 56881 times)

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: A rational Republican?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
I'm sure Al Gore is already on top of cosmic warming and looking for a way to scam everyone.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Kingk0ng

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. (Dr. Seuss)

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »
"The harmful scenario, on the other hand, are a bit more dramatic as NASA scientists warn aliens could attack us, enslave us, eat us or spread alien diseases among us or among crucial food species, to destroy us."

"How to Serve Man" IS A COOKBOOK!!!  (Cue Twilight Zone theme.)

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
More from the one Republican who seems to not be engaging in the race to the lunatic right fringe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/jon-huntsman-rick-perry-bernanke-climate-change_n_932263.html

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
More from the one Republican who seems to not be engaging in the race to the lunatic right fringe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/jon-huntsman-rick-perry-bernanke-climate-change_n_932263.html

He would clearly be more comfortable in the lunatic left fringe.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Kingk0ng

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »
How can you take these scientists word as gospel when it has been proven that they manipulated data to fit their agenda? Skepticism of it is lunacy???
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. (Dr. Seuss)

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »

Shame on me for believing that the belief of evolution, and not creationism, was mainstream thinking.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »

Shame on me for believing that the belief of evolution, and not creationism, was mainstream thinking.

I didn't realize your argument was based on one item only. I guess you are suggesting that all who do not agree with Huntsman on the subject are part of the lunatic right.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »

I didn't realize your argument was based on one item only. I guess you are suggesting that all who do not agree with Huntsman on the subject are part of the lunatic right.
With respect to the evolution/creationism argument, you'd be entirely accurate.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
The evidence is overwhelming that man is PROBABLY contributing to global warming.  If you disagree, please look at some of the science yourself instead of corporate-sponsored propaganda.  And no, that doesn't mean that every single year is going to be warmer than the next.  There are long-term trends and short-term trends but it is very obvious that the trend over the past several decades overall is warming global temperatures and it is faster than it has been in the geologic past.  Man is undoubtedly adding more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere with the burning of fossil fuels and carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas.  2+2=4. 

That being said, it doesn't do any good for the U.S. to do anything whatsoever about this until the rest of the world is on board.  If countries like China refuse to make any efforts to curtail CO2 emissions, then screw it because their pollution is still going to blow over here and their CO2 is going to warm the earth up just as much as ours would.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:21:15 PM by red viking »
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." Thomas Paine

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »

You obviously do not know the percentages.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »

With respect to the evolution/creationism argument, you'd be entirely accurate.

Looks like the lunatics on the right outnumber the lunatics on the left:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/22/opinion/polls/main657083.shtml

"A Harris poll (2005) found 64% agreed "human beings were created directly by God," 22% of adults believe "human beings evolved from earlier species,"10% that "human beings are so complex that they required a powerful force or intelligent being to help create them" End numbers 74% and 22%." Can't find the link off the cuff but you get the idea.

Personally I don't care about numbers as the majority is not always right, however, I do think you a bit of a tool (today only) for making such foolish comments.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
What's strange is that in spite of all the brainwashing, most Americans still see how foolish and impossible it is to believe man evolved from rocks.

Offline Griffin

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »
What's strange is that in spite of all the brainwashing, most Americans still see how foolish and impossible it is to believe man evolved from rocks.

Where do you get these ideas? Evolutionary thought does not claim that "man evolved from rocks". If you're going to object to something you should at least understand what it is actually claiming.

Personally, I've never meet an honest person who fully understands evolutionary thought and does not accept it. So, assuming that you are an honest person, I'm going to guess you do not understand the topic.If those two assumptions are correct, let me ask you a question. What would you need to see in order for you to accept that evolution takes place? Please don't avoid the question as most Creationist do. Give me something specific and measurable which would convince you and I'll see what I can do with it.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »

Where do you get these ideas? Evolutionary thought does not claim that "man evolved from rocks". If you're going to object to something you should at least understand what it is actually claiming.

Personally, I've never meet an honest person who fully understands evolutionary thought and does not accept it. So, assuming that you are an honest person, I'm going to guess you do not understand the topic.If those two assumptions are correct, let me ask you a question. What would you need to see in order for you to accept that evolution takes place? Please don't avoid the question as most Creationist do. Give me something specific and measurable which would convince you and I'll see what I can do with it.

I can't speak for others, but I would like to see the observation of increasing morphological complexity or specialization of cells.

CTC is correct.  If there was never any ID at least as part of our origin, then you would ultimately be able to trace our ancestry back to a "primordial soup", which would include mostly water but dissolved elements that originated from rocks. At least, this is the most popular theory to explain our origin that is based upon natural processes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:13:04 PM by red viking »
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." Thomas Paine