Author Topic: Back to the drawing board for freestyle?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Back to the drawing board for freestyle?
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
Not talking about our success. Talking about the style and rules itself. Jesus is it getting harder to watch. Guys basically dancing around for 2mins, hoping for the fishbowl grab(really a fckn fishbowl now) and then clinch. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Where has the action in this style gone? Outside of Burroughs and an occasional spladle, this style has been destroyed.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Online drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the drawing board for freestyle?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
Fila an USA wrestling need to figure out that there is more to wrestling than the Olympic and world championships. When the sport has greater appeal we will have greater success. When they change the sport to appease the OTC and Fila they are affecting every wrestler and fan at every level, and that's a lot more wrestlers than will ever see competition at a world or Olympic games.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
Until we get Heinrich Barnes to compete for USA, our program will cease to improve.

In all seriousness, Americans were always the aggressors in the match.  We had a great showing,  it is not suprising you wouldn't recognize this.   Tervel was right there and beat a multiple world champion.  If Reece wins that match against France we get 2nd in the world.

Hardly back to the drawing board.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
Until we get Heinrich Barnes to compete for USA, our program will cease to improve.

In all seriousness, Americans were always the aggressors in the match.  We had a great showing,  it is not suprising you wouldn't recognize this.   Tervel was right there and beat a multiple world champion.  If Reece wins that match against France we get 2nd in the world.

Hardly back to the drawing board.

did you read the OP or just the thread title?
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Likely the title.

Attention to detail isn't his strong suit.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »
Likely the title.

Says the guy who thinks Heinrich Barnes is a transcendent talent.

I read everything.  You insinuate that Simmons and Burroughs are the only guys bringing action.  Tervel, Varner, Cael and Hump pushed pace and were in very exciting matches.  I don't like the ball grab but there were tons of exciting matches.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:55:03 AM »
Vais,

Those were some humdinger matches all righty.  Let's see, the US guy is trying to make something happen and the opponent does nothing but block.  Oh yeah, the excitement builds as the ball grab happens and the clinch is awarded to the guy who did all the blocking.  That's about as exciting as it got. 

I think it is great our guys did so well, but to say the matches were exciting just says to me you need to get out more!!!    ;)

mspartr

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Likely the title.

Says the guy who thinks Heinrich Barnes is a transcendent talent.

I read everything.  You insinuate that Simmons and Burroughs are the only guys bringing action.  Tervel, Varner, Cael and Hump pushed pace and were in very exciting matches.  I don't like the ball grab but there were tons of exciting matches.

Heinrich still has more wins at Worlds than Metcalf.

Anyways, you still missed the point of the OP. Freestyle wrestling now, is getting harder and harder to get excited about. Look at Cael's match he lost. Russian just stood there the entire time. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 

Freestyle wrestling just isn't exciting like it once was. Too much non-wrestling, not enough action from anyone or any country.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
Vais,

Those were some humdinger matches all righty.  Let's see, the US guy is trying to make something happen and the opponent does nothing but block.  Oh yeah, the excitement builds as the ball grab happens and the clinch is awarded to the guy who did all the blocking.  That's about as exciting as it got. 

I think it is great our guys did so well, but to say the matches were exciting just says to me you need to get out more!!!    ;)

mspartr

Plain and simple: You didnt watch many matches.  You youtubed a few and are makin a judgement based on those isolated matches.

At 55 every match Simmons wrestled was exciting and often high scoring. 

60: Reece battled and managed to have a few exciting matches including his match with the french wrestler that eliminated him in the quarters.

66: Teyon was simply outmatched.

74: Find a boring Burroughs Match

84: Caels bronze match was the only one that met your description.  Cael was in high scoring exciting matches.

96: Jake did a nice job in his matches especially in the bronze final where he got clutch points late in periods.  It's 212 lbs.  As guys get bigger the action tempers, that's every style including folk.

120: Tervel's reshot td against Taymazov was just phenomenal, and Tervel does his best to push pace.  The big boys try to slow him down. 

Maybe I am able to see more of the strategy and the idiosyncrasies of the hand fighting and position battle that the spartan(judgement already in question if MSU fan) and Rock.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
Yeah the 15 sec brief moments of excitement in a couple of matches left millions in awe.

I couldn't decide between the pushouts or the fishbowl grabs, which was more exciting.

If this is the future of our sport, expect more to leave for mma.

Offline Snackem

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 02:36:31 AM »
It seems that people see what they want to see.  If you tink a style is boring and you are looking for borig matches then you'll find them.  I was very surprised with the quality of matches that I saw this year.  I've been watching as many matches as possible and most of the ones that i have seen have been decent to good. 

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 04:03:19 AM »
I think the issue is that in the past, you were rewarded for taking risks and pushing the action.  It is quite the opposite today.  Hence, matches where no shots are taken, no offense is attempted, and ball grabs are happening quite frequently.  It pays to not wrestle.  You can win a match by not wrestling. 

mspart

crablegs

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »
I agree with Vais and Snackem.  I watched all of the US matches from this year, and thought the action was better than the previous 2-3 years.  Sure, no one likes the ball grab but it happens.  Just because a period goes to ball grab doesn't mean there was no action. 

Offline yomama cantrassle

• DIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »
I'm alittle confused over the argument here. I thought the original idea of the thread wasn't that our wrestlers lacked aggressiveness or action, but that the rules now SUCK and a change back to older style rules would make for more exciting matches.

Also the US did rock out at Worlds. AND whats up w Russians grabbing singlets...saw it in Greco and Freestyle....dirty Ruskies

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
It was, but VA can't read very well.