Author Topic: What is evolution?  (Read 3164 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
What is evolution?
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »
When we talk about evolution are we talking about evolution within a specie or evolution that results in new species and genus?

If the former, then it can be understood because it has been observed.  If the latter, this is more difficult.  I ask because I have seen many times the explanation that evolution does not tell us about the beginning of life.  If not, then why is there such a vehement rejection of a God or Higher order being?  And why do we constantly hear this vitriol if it does not explain the beginning of life on earth? 

If evolution encompasses all of the above first question AND that it does not encompass the beginning of life, then why the rejection of of an explanation of how the first life may have come about?  You can't tell me that because no one has seen this God or higher order being that he/she/it does not and never did exist.  No one has seen a once celled animal become a functional multicell animal where cell specialization takes place.   I find the rejection of the first and the acceptance of the latter to be intellectually dishonest.

I know that some on here will call me silly and simple minded.  That's ok.  But that won't answer my question.

mspart

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: What is evolution?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
I consider evolution when a species, evolves over time to its area surroundings, life situation or whatever. They are adapting as they get older. Over time, IDK if it changes our DNA but possibly could. Whether we over time came from neadrethals, cro-magnan or whatever IDK because I'm not a scientist, however I think it would be rather naive of anyone to solely believe in evolution or creationism.

My dad studied biology in college and is rather smart. I once spoke with him at length, his opinion on God and evolution. He told me they are both theories because we truly do not know because we were not alive when life began. I tend to agree.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
When scientists talk about evolution they are talking about both.  Scientist, real ones that is, do not doubt either.  Evolution within species has been observed actually occuring, and speciation, one species evolving through those microsteps to the point where they are no longer able to successfully interbreed within the original parent species have both been observed.  Having observed both of those occurence, and have an overwhelming amount of paleontological evidence showing simpler organism showing up in earlier sedimements and gradually more complicated organisms as you progress up into younger sediments along with many transitional steps that have been involved, it is not possible to reasonably nor rationally deny both forms you discuss.  The beginning of the first single celled life forms that were the original life forms on earth that scientist agree we all evolved from is another issue.  How it occurred is a mystery although much has been identified in the formation of quasi organic cells that are short of life.  The thing is the vehemence in the issue arises mostly from the religious side.  Most scientist are not interested in delving into the the religious questions, they only want to answer the questions about natural processes we can identify.  Unfortunately religious zealots do not want natural process to answer some of the big questions and mysteries of life because they feel they lose control of the mass which they have seduced with their drug.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:59:01 PM by coachsparky »
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
Good question. The term has become so broadly used so as to all but lose meaning. If it means change over time, we're all evolving! Evolution is traditionally understood to mean change from one kind to another. This has been believed for centuries, what was not understood was how this could occur. What was the mechanism for change? Darwin posited the mechanism, natural selection.

Evolution from one kind to another has not been observed. Meta-narratives have been advanced but no real fossil evidence has been forthcoming. Even evolution within species  has not been observed. What has been observed is the temporary advantage of one species variation over the other. The finch fraud is an example of this, environmental conditions changed temporarily favoring the long bill finch over the shorter. This was tried to be passed off as proof of evolution, it wasn't of course, when conditions returned to normal the short bill finch returned. Of such thin gruel is foundation of natural selection built on.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
Good question. The term has become so broadly used so as to all but lose meaning. If it means change over time, we're all evolving! Evolution is traditionally understood to mean change from one kind to another. This has been believed for centuries, what was not understood was how this could occur. What was the mechanism for change? Darwin posited the mechanism, natural selection.

Evolution from one kind to another has not been observed. Meta-narratives have been advanced but no real fossil evidence has been forthcoming. Even evolution within species  has not been observed. What has been observed is the temporary advantage of one species variation over the other. The finch fraud is an example of this, environmental conditions changed temporarily favoring the long bill finch over the shorter. This was tried to be passed off as proof of evolution, it wasn't of course, when conditions returned to normal the short bill finch returned. Of such thin gruel is foundation of natural selection built on.

Some people continue to show they have no grasp of either the absolutely immense amount of evidence that is irrefutable, nor the issue at hand.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:58:16 AM by coachsparky »
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »
some people don't understand how immense it is either
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Drooke

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »
What....your Otter Patronus?

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
I believe there are 7 kinds of usages of evolution.  Most discussed on here are:

Micro-evolution - variation within a kind

Macro-evolution - change from one kind to another

Darwinists always to blur the differences using micro to attempt to validate macro.  It works on kids and simpletons.  All creationists believe in micro.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
I believe there are 7 kinds of usages of evolution.  Most discussed on here are:

Micro-evolution - variation within a kind

Macro-evolution - change from one kind to another

Darwinists always to blur the differences using micro to attempt to validate macro.  It works on kids and simpletons.  All creationists believe in micro.

Macro is just micro over long periods of time, both have been observed.  Speciation, which is a proven is macro.