Author Topic: Penn State vs Minnesota (Nov 20th) Predictions  (Read 14341 times)

Offline KR1963

• National Champ
  • OMFG ROTFLMFAO WTF SMFH NFM We ARE...
    • View Profile
    • Everything Penn State Wrestling
Re: Penn State vs Minnesota (Nov 20th) Predictions
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »
The difference is that PSU has a history of covering up problems or looking the other way.  Examples are Long and Sandusky. (tongue in cheek...sort of)

We have not heard anything about Sherlock and Kr says that Ruth has been disciplined though there are no charges, but won't say what it was.  You would think that transperency would be an automatic at Penn State these days.
At least you are consistent in always damning PSU for everything you can think of all the while giving Iowa a free pass.
CLICK BELOW FOR MY EVERYTHING PENN STATE BLOG:
http://everythingpennstate.theopenmat.org/

A WRESTLER'S MOST OFTEN HEARD OFF-SEASON QUOTE: Are you gonna eat that?

"I'd nail her so hard, whoever could pull me out would be named King of England" Deadspin

Offline KR1963

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
I tried to post this but it didnt work for some reason. 

I don't want a thirty page thread like that either.  However, in light of what is happening there today and that they let Long onto the team knowing about his issues, I don't think it was "ridiculous" to state that there is a culture of looking the other way to win today at Penn St.

Thats all I'll say.  I don't think it is so ridiculous to have that opinion.
If a "Long" like kid was showing up at Iowa, I am sure we would hear about what a big heart Brands * Iowa AD have for giving the kid a 2nd chance.

Cael has known the Long family for quite awhile. He KNEW what he was getting & he gave him a 2nd chance. He was also put a tight leash. Long screwed up & just like that he was gone. Nothing ridiculous about that.

"I'd nail her so hard, whoever could pull me out would be named King of England" Deadspin

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
If a "Long" like kid was showing up at Iowa, I am sure we would hear about what a big heart Brands * Iowa AD have for giving the kid a 2nd chance.

Cael has known the Long family for quite awhile. He KNEW what he was getting & he gave him a 2nd chance. He was also put a tight leash. Long screwed up & just like that he was gone. Nothing ridiculous about that.
KR - I disagree.  Long was given multiple chances at ISU; this was more than a second chance.  And it wasn't just screwing up, it was his attitude as well.  I'm all for second chances, I've been the recipient of this many times.  But sometimes you have to pay the consequences in order to learn a lesson.  I was ok with Iowa accepting Byers because his previous indiscretion was a single isolated issue.  I'm also ok with a young man like Marion making amends and earning his way back on the team.  Long was unwilling to change his behavior and was given many opportunities to do so.

Also, if you look at the young men that Brands recruited in this class you'll notice there are quite a few exeptional students in that bunch.  It goes to show that Brands is not willing to take great wrestlers that he doesn't think can do well in the classroom and "live the life" so to speak.

OBTW, it's ok to admit your coach made a mistake.  You don't have to defend every action/decision just because it's your team.  If it makes you feel better, I think Coach Brands made the wrong decision about Nat'l Duals last year.  I think he made the decision he felt was best for his team and I still respect him, but I disagree with his decision.  Whether or not you're willing to admit it, Coach Sanderson is perceived by many as being willing to sacrifice his standards in order to win.  It appears that's what happened last year and I learned many years ago that 'perception equals fact'.
virtus tentamine gaudet - strength rejoices in the challenge

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
Kr ALWAYS brings it back up after I've handcuffed myself and said I was done talking about it in this thread.  Why do I do that?!
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline chipmogul

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
Snap - weren't the Hawks giddy to take Cayle Byers aboard a year after seeing all the flack PSU took for taking in Long?

I'll answer it...YES.  Now Okie State has that to deal with but hopefully it works out.

As far as Sherlock is concerned, he along with one other teammate aren't allowed any more "strikes" or they're off the team.  This includes things like skipping practices.  Imagine being a redshirt freshman on that short of a leash.  To me, that's certainly a strong disciplinary statement in itself seeing the cost of tuition these days.

Honestly, the entire wrestling community loses out when a top talent can't keep his nose clean.  Marion has had a lot of strikes against him and I hope he's learned from his mistakes but I wouldn't trade the amazing match I saw for an Andrew Alton win (or PSU win possibly) against the next Iowa 141 in line that day in Rec Hall.

As far as the topic is concerned, I'm hoping for a blowout Sunday and here are my picks...

125 - I'm a HUGE Nico fan and have been for years but Sanders is tough and Nico needs to put on a couple pounds so sadly I'll take Sanders.

133 - Reber isn't a true 133 (heck Martelotti was weighing 129-131 in August) so we gotta take our lumps here too.

141 - I'm guessing this will be one of the best matches of the day.  I'm hoping for a blowout so I'll take my homer pick with improved and now focused Sherlock.

149 - I'm not a fan of the way the Gorilla Hulk wins but he's tough and worked hard over the summer.  In fact, he came close to a power lifting world record at the first event he's ever entered over the summer.  Frank on bottom worries me and that goes back prior to the Dake match.  Frank by a couple here.

157 - Dylan all the way.  A coming out party for the "other" Alton.

165 - DT easily.  I yawn watching the Yohns.

174 - Ruth.  Not sure how this will go but time heals all wounds.

184 - Q.  Not sure that I've ever seen Q happier.

197 - Ohhhh baby, hello world...signed, Morgan McIntosh

285 - Nelson all the way.  I'm not high on Cam's conditioning right now.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
Ortiz will be at 174 for MN

V, any idea what happened to Young?

Yes but I am not at liberty to say.

It seems odd and a real shame that the rs Senior isn't able to wrestle.  Young isn't a world beater, but he's tough enough to hold his own.
Tax the churches.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
the gophers run real estate scams  :)....

Is that smiley face supposed to cover up the fact that you don't know what you're talking about!

no. it was supposed to signify that i was kidding, and that im just ribbing you gopher fans.

but if you want to think i don't know what im talking about, so be it.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »
I thought J was the only one that ran the real estate scam.  All the gophers are in on it?;)

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 09:49:27 PM »
the gophers run real estate scams  :)....

Is that smiley face supposed to cover up the fact that you don't know what you're talking about!

no. it was supposed to signify that i was kidding, and that im just ribbing you gopher fans.

but if you want to think i don't know what im talking about, so be it.

I can take a little ribbing :)
Tax the churches.

Offline KR1963

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 05:00:51 AM »

KR - I disagree.  Long was given multiple chances at ISU; this was more than a second chance.  And it wasn't just screwing up, it was his attitude as well.  I'm all for second chances, I've been the recipient of this many times.  But sometimes you have to pay the consequences in order to learn a lesson.  I was ok with Iowa accepting Byers because his previous indiscretion was a single isolated issue.  I'm also ok with a young man like Marion making amends and earning his way back on the team.  Long was unwilling to change his behavior and was given many opportunities to do so.

Also, if you look at the young men that Brands recruited in this class you'll notice there are quite a few exeptional students in that bunch.  It goes to show that Brands is not willing to take great wrestlers that he doesn't think can do well in the classroom and "live the life" so to speak.

OBTW, it's ok to admit your coach made a mistake.  You don't have to defend every action/decision just because it's your team.  If it makes you feel better, I think Coach Brands made the wrong decision about Nat'l Duals last year.  I think he made the decision he felt was best for his team and I still respect him, but I disagree with his decision.  Whether or not you're willing to admit it, Coach Sanderson is perceived by many as being willing to sacrifice his standards in order to win.  It appears that's what happened last year and I learned many years ago that 'perception equals fact'.
AFHAWK
I really dont care about what Iowa does or does not do. Really. I only bring it up to certain POSTERS with the attitude of attacking other programs anytime something looks improper all the while justifying their own schools actions. You will not ever read or see a post by me on any board ripping any Iowa program member or any school for that matter. Not my style. I just point out the people who are think that they are so above it all. And so the expected response of BUT I AM ABOVE IT ALL is not a surprise.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 09:23:52 AM »
The difference is that PSU has a history of covering up problems or looking the other way.  Examples are Long and Sandusky. (tongue in cheek...sort of)

We have not heard anything about Sherlock and Kr says that Ruth has been disciplined though there are no charges, but won't say what it was.  You would think that transperency would be an automatic at Penn State these days.
At least you are consistent in always damning PSU for everything you can think of all the while giving Iowa a free pass.

What have I given Iowa a free pass on?

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »
Can we just start an PSU vs IA thread.

Kind of bummed you all hijacked this one
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
Glad to see that Intermat got one thing right:

Weight-by-Weight Predictions:
125: No. 2 Zach Sanders (Minnesota) maj. dec. No. 18 Nico Megaludis (Penn State) :P
Tax the churches.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
Can we just start an PSU vs IA thread.

Kind of bummed you all hijacked this one

Sorry V.  Was neve the intent, just where the conversation went. 

Offline Spoons

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2011, 05:54:59 AM »
Can I change some of my predictions after Minnesota's debacule last night I would not be suprised to see them win only 3 matches. They looked pretty bad as a whole last night. ::)