Author Topic: OSU vs Minnesota  (Read 17373 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: OSU vs Minnesota
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
125 - Sanders by Dec.  I like Morrison's chances if he goes as I think he'll be fired up to prove he should be the guy.  When he has the weight under control and is healthy, he is top notch.  Still, Sanders is too tough to expect a win here for the Cowboys.  3-0 Gophers

133 - Oliver by MDec.  This is more about Oliver than who he is wrestling.  He will win by major if he has his weight right.  If not, he could lose.  There is no one in the country (not Steiber, not red-shirting Sentes...no one) that Oliver can't beat by 8+.  Go watch his finals match from last year against a guy who was better than every other guy in the country save Oliver.  That was a beat down, not a major, but a beat down.  4-3 Cowboys

141 - Kindig by Dec - Two guys who have major upside and you could see a big fall here (either way) with the likely pace of this match. 7-3 Cowboys

149 - Parks by Dec - People who hate Parks are going to hate this year.  He won't lose to anyone except for Molinaro.  10-3 Cowboys

157 - Deitchler by Dec - Tough pick here as I like White, but Deitchler has proven more thus far.  Excellent test for Albert. 10-6 Cowboys

165 - Bailey by Dec - Split last year and I understand those picking Yohn.  I expect Bailey to respond to the adversity he has seen recently.  13-6 Cowboys

174 - Storley by MDec - McNeil is game, but I think that might be to his detriment here.  13-10 Cowboys

184 - Perry by Dec - Perry beat Boaz easily and I'm told he looks like he has gotten rid of some of the baby fat he had last year.  3-10 at 184 are seperated by a razor thin margin.  This will be a very good match.  16-10 Cowboys

197 - Byers by Dec - Another match that will tell us a lot.  Byers has walked through less than stellar opposition.  Is he back to the level where he beat Kilgore?  I think he is very close.  19-10 Cowboys

HWT - Z by Dec - I've been calling for Z to be a top-notch guy since he moved to HWT and I'm not stopping now.  22-10 Cowboys

Normally predicting a 22-10 win would mean I felt confident the Cowboys would win, but this is not really the case here.  I think they will, but there are so many close matches here or matches that we just don't know enough about one guy or the other that the final score could swing wildly.  Add to that the Gophers results so far and this one is tough to call.  Should be fun to watch!

Never mind my first bet.... I want the Gophers +12!
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
Aren't you the guy who told me that Ness would pin Molinaro over on the Guillotine?  Settle down and let him be a freshman.

You're close.   I actually said "Expect the young guys to take their lumps early in the year, but develop into AA's by the end. "
Some guys did react to KR's flaming prediction that Ness & KS would be majored.

Parks is overrated and is ripe for an upset as he tries to hang on for a one point win.   I really like Kindig, so Dardanes would be a big upset and was tongue in cheek.

I'm a Minnesota fan and I have Dylan in fantasy, but I don't see a chance in heck that he beats Parks.  Parks is very athletic, fundamentally solid, and hard to score on, his biggest weakness is that he isn't great at pursuing offense.  Ness is very sloppy and will open himself up by trying for big moves, much like he did in the match against Cornell.  I see Parks capitalizing on that and taking a controlling 6-1 type decision

I'd love to be proven wrong though

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
125 - Sanders by Dec.  I like Morrison's chances if he goes as I think he'll be fired up to prove he should be the guy.  When he has the weight under control and is healthy, he is top notch.  Still, Sanders is too tough to expect a win here for the Cowboys.  3-0 Gophers

133 - Oliver by MDec.  This is more about Oliver than who he is wrestling.  He will win by major if he has his weight right.  If not, he could lose.  There is no one in the country (not Steiber, not red-shirting Sentes...no one) that Oliver can't beat by 8+.  Go watch his finals match from last year against a guy who was better than every other guy in the country save Oliver.  That was a beat down, not a major, but a beat down.  4-3 Cowboys

141 - Kindig by Dec - Two guys who have major upside and you could see a big fall here (either way) with the likely pace of this match. 7-3 Cowboys

149 - Parks by Dec - People who hate Parks are going to hate this year.  He won't lose to anyone except for Molinaro.  10-3 Cowboys

157 - Deitchler by Dec - Tough pick here as I like White, but Deitchler has proven more thus far.  Excellent test for Albert. 10-6 Cowboys

165 - Bailey by Dec - Split last year and I understand those picking Yohn.  I expect Bailey to respond to the adversity he has seen recently.  13-6 Cowboys

174 - Storley by MDec - McNeil is game, but I think that might be to his detriment here.  13-10 Cowboys

184 - Perry by Dec - Perry beat Boaz easily and I'm told he looks like he has gotten rid of some of the baby fat he had last year.  3-10 at 184 are seperated by a razor thin margin.  This will be a very good match.  16-10 Cowboys

197 - Byers by Dec - Another match that will tell us a lot.  Byers has walked through less than stellar opposition.  Is he back to the level where he beat Kilgore?  I think he is very close.  19-10 Cowboys

HWT - Z by Dec - I've been calling for Z to be a top-notch guy since he moved to HWT and I'm not stopping now.  22-10 Cowboys

Normally predicting a 22-10 win would mean I felt confident the Cowboys would win, but this is not really the case here.  I think they will, but there are so many close matches here or matches that we just don't know enough about one guy or the other that the final score could swing wildly.  Add to that the Gophers results so far and this one is tough to call.  Should be fun to watch!

Never mind my first bet.... I want the Gophers +12!

Good luck with that!  :)

Sometimes the orange colored glasses fit just right!

Offline Gopherfan0133

• Regional Champ
  • anyone hate Nebraska as much as I do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »
Okie, the only thing that is even saving me from calling you a full fledged ra-tard is your last statement.  So I will just be calling you a homer instead.  Furthermore, if that happens, I shall eat some crow but it won't happen. 

have a nice day

Offline Kingk0ng

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »
We must be operating on different meanings of overrated.  By your definition, Kellen Russell is overrated.  If he has earned his spot, by definition he isn't overrated. 

I agree that he can be upset if he continues to wrestle such a close style, but it doesn't really happen that often.  His only bad loss was to Stephens last year.  The others to Caldwell, Chamberlain, Dake and LeValley aren't really bad, only Chamberlain would have been ranked below him and that was at worst one or two spots.  I'm probably much more frustrated by his style than you, but he has gotten the job done for the most part, particularly since moving up in weight.

Jeez Cicero, if only the guys on okwrestle could see you defending Parks  :D

Okie, I agree with your picks but didn't want to look like too much of a homer
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. (Dr. Seuss)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
I demand an Okie vs Gopherfan cage match  V set that sh!t up
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
I demand an Okie vs Gopherfan cage match  V set that sh!t up

The pasty whiteness alone would be worth it!

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
Bryce can be the round card person. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
only if I can wear a speedo
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »
only if I can wear a speedo

well.....duh!

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
We must be operating on different meanings of overrated.  By your definition, Kellen Russell is overrated.  If he has earned his spot, by definition he isn't overrated. 

Well, I think rankings are based upon past performance and Parks has a better resume than anyone ranked below him.
Ratings are based upon how well the wrestler is currently performing regardless of past performance.

Russell and Rey are not overrated because they can earn 1 point victories and be in control of the match (Rey should not drop to 5th because of the upset.  He's the one guy who no hvy wants in their bracket).
While Parks stands to be beaten a handful of times because good opponents are always in the match.

Tax the churches.

Offline Vak Brannigan

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17:43 AM »
125:  Sanders DEC Rupp
133:  Oliver DEC Thorn
141:  Dardanes DEC Kindig
149:  Parks DEC Ness
157:  Diechtler DEC White
165:  Bailey DEC Yohn
174:  Storley DEC McNeil
184:  Steinhaus DEC Perry
197:  Byers DEC Yohn
HWT:  Nelson DEC Gelogaev

Minnesota 18-12.  I don't see any blowouts.  Oliver is obviously highly capable of big points, but after his All-Star showing, I'll wait to say he's got his weight under control.
Opulence...I has it.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »

Jeez Cicero, if only the guys on okwrestle could see you defending Parks  :D

Okie, I agree with your picks but didn't want to look like too much of a homer
He is frustrating family, but he is family nonetheless.   ;D
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
Here's the rundown I gave on the OSU board and The Guillotine.  Some liked my gut feeling at 133 and others didnt.  ;D

125: #12 Ladd Rupp/Jon Morrison vs #2 Zach Sanders
Sanders wbd 3-0 Minnesota
I've got to give this one to Sanders by dec if he wresles Morrison and major if he wrestles Rupp. I don't think a guy like Zach lets someone not named McDonough beat him twice. The Rupp that I saw last Friday can't hang with the Morrison I saw last year. Not sure whats going on there.

133: #1 Jordan Oliver vs #6 David Thorn
Oliver TF 3-5 Okalahoma State
Oliver is a scoring machine. Thorn is good but nobody is on Olivers level. I'm calling a TF.

141: #7 Josh Kindig vs #13 Nick Dardanes
Kindig wbd 3-8 Oklahoma State
Just think Kindig is better

149: #2 Jamal Parks vs #17 Dylan Ness
Parks wbd 3-11 Oklahoma State
Ness is very eratic. Puts himself in bad position at times. Parks is very boring and doesnt score much but stays in good position and scores enough to win.

157: #8 Albert White vs #9 Jake Deitchler
Deitchler wbd 6-11 Oklahoma State
White didnt impress me very much at Iowa State. Just barely got a major against a true freshman walk on. This is a matchup of guys with a lot of hype that have not proven anything at this level. I like Deitchler.

165: #17 Dallas Bailey/Chris Chionuma vs #6 Cody Yohn
Yohn wbd 9-11 Oklahoma State
Yohn > Bailey. Very in depth analysis.

174: Chris McNeil vs Steven Avalos/Logan Storley
Storley wbd 12-11 Minnesota
If Storley is ready at all I think J will have him on the mat for this one. The team will need him and McNeil shouldnt give him any fits.

184: #9 Chris Perry vs #4 Kevin Steinhaus
Steinhaus dec Perry 15-11 Minnesota
I love Steinhaus. He's your classic bruiser. Perry scored off a lot of defense against Beard. I might be willing to pick Perry if I'd ever seen him have much of an offense, or if he had a defensive strategy like Mark did.

197: #6 Cayle Byers vs #3 Sonny Yohn
Byers dec Yohn 15-14 Minnesota
Yohn gets very sloppy and makes mistakes. I don't know why he was ranked #2 to start the season. He's not that good. I didnt get a great read on Byers against ISU because he was wrestling Shafer who isnt great. This pick is mostly based on me not liking Yohn as a wrestler.

285: #3 Alan Gelogaev vs #2 Tony Nelson
Nelson dec Gelogaev 18-14 Minnesota
I like both of these guys a lot. Gelogaev is technical and has a nice offense. Nelson is all of that and stronger. I wouldnt be suprised if Gelogaev won, but I'm picking Nelson because he's never given the crowd at Carver the finger.

Sorry if those weren't your rankings V.  I just used what Mr. Blonde had up in his original post of the thread on the Okie rivals forum.  I don't look at rankings very often but when I do I always look at TOM first. 
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
I agree Ron...except I don't think Oliver will TF.  I'll give him the major though.
virtus tentamine gaudet - strength rejoices in the challenge